Differences between Chöd wang and TroNak wang?

Palzang Jangchub

Differences between Chöd wang and TroNak wang?

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:39 am

It seems that in the Drikung lineage there is a distinction made between Chöd wangs where the visualization is of Troma Nakmo, and wangs that are meant to empower one to practice the yidam deity sadhana of Troma Nakmo proper. Does anyone know the reason for this?

I had previously been led to understand that apart from the "Opening of the Sky Door" empowerment, there isn't a Chöd wang per se, and what most people receive for Chöd wang is actually Troma Nakmo wang, since she is often the deity visualized during Chöd lüjin (though in Nyingma lineages I have seen Dorje Phakmo wang given for visualization in Chöd practices).

Also, does anyone happen to know the lineage history of the Chöd wang that both Lho Ontul Rinpoche and Lamchen Gyalpo Rinpoche typically give? It's given for empowering the practice of the lüjin composed by Lho Nuden Dorje (after a Karma Kagyupa had requested it), and also for the extensive sadhana compiled by Gyalpo Rinpoche himself. It doesn't come from the Yangzab terma cycle, since there's no Chöd practice there, and it seems there isn't a Troma wang in the Fivefold Mahamudra lineage of Drikung either, from what i can tell, so I'm at a loss...

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

heart

Re: Differences between Chöd wang and TroNak wang?

Post by heart » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:00 am

This is the full translation of the Chod part of the Dam Ngak Dzö: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXBJREV/re ... 80_TE_M1DP
As you can see in the empowerment section there is only "Opening the door of the sky" empowerments. So, this is the proper Chö empowerment. I am sure it can be helpful to have a Throma empowerment as well, but not necessary.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

lelopa

Post by lelopa » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:56 am

Lho Ongtrul Rinpoche recieved the chöd-wang that he gives in Drikung-Centers from Kalu Rinpoche (his own words).
So it is the "normal" Sky-Opener-Wang that you can also recieve in Karma Kagu-Centers, etc.!
ཨོཾ་ཨཱཿཧཱུྃ་བོ་དྷི་ཙིཏྟ་མ་ཧཱ་སུ་ཁ་ཛྙཱ་ན་དྷཱརྟུ་ཨཱཿ

ratna

Post by ratna » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:26 pm

Karma Jinpa wrote:Also, does anyone happen to know the lineage history of the Chöd wang that both Lho Ontul Rinpoche and Lamchen Gyalpo Rinpoche typically give? It's given for empowering the practice of the lüjin composed by Lho Nuden Dorje (after a Karma Kagyupa had requested it), and also for the extensive sadhana compiled by Gyalpo Rinpoche himself. It doesn't come from the Yangzab terma cycle, since there's no Chöd practice there, and it seems there isn't a Troma wang in the Fivefold Mahamudra lineage of Drikung either, from what i can tell, so I'm at a loss...
I don't know what empowerment Lamchen Gyalpo Rinpoche gives, but the wang for the Rainbow Body Chod that Lho Ontul Rinpoche often gives comes from the terma of Lho Nuden Dorje.

R

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:00 pm

ratna wrote:
Karma Jinpa wrote:Also, does anyone happen to know the lineage history of the Chöd wang that both Lho Ontul Rinpoche and Lamchen Gyalpo Rinpoche typically give? It's given for empowering the practice of the lüjin composed by Lho Nuden Dorje (after a Karma Kagyupa had requested it), and also for the extensive sadhana compiled by Gyalpo Rinpoche himself. It doesn't come from the Yangzab terma cycle, since there's no Chöd practice there, and it seems there isn't a Troma wang in the Fivefold Mahamudra lineage of Drikung either, from what i can tell, so I'm at a loss...
I don't know what empowerment Lamchen Gyalpo Rinpoche gives, but the wang for the Rainbow Body Chod that Lho Ontul Rinpoche often gives comes from the terma of Lho Nuden Dorje.

R

It is the same.
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Sudarsana Mandala, Tibetan Medicine and Herbs
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Relax, don’t worry about all the problems of samsara. Everything is relative. But try to be present.

— Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

heart

Post by heart » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:05 pm

I just wanted to mention that the two "opening the door to the sky" empowerments in the Dam Ngak Dzö one is from the Surmang tradition and the other one is from Taranatha.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:32 pm

ratna wrote: ... the wang for the Rainbow Body Chod that Lho Ontul Rinpoche often gives comes from the terma of Lho Nuden Dorje.
I'm not sure if it was the Rainbow Body Chöd we received empowerment for, since the teachings were on Chöd in general and the main text we were given transmission for wasn't that sadhana. It wasn't the Sky Door Opener, though, because Lamchen Gyalpo Rinpoche gave that and the same wang that Ontul Rinpoche had given previously, one right after the other.

However, this raises an entirely new question that hadn't occurred to me before. Since there's no Chöd in the Yangzab, the Rainbow Body Chöd wang indicates there are terma discovered by Lho Nuden Dorje that are separate from the Yangzab cycle, right? Is there more than one Chöd wang in his terma?

Also, still not quite clear on what differentiates a Chöd wang with Troma Nakmo visualization from a TroNak wang. Is it because Troma is only to be visualized in the specific practice of Chöd, and no yidam mantra is given? There is definitely self-visualization as the deity.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:20 pm

There are a variety or "Troma" practices, found in Dudjom Tersar, Rinchen Terdzo, DoJo BumZang, and elsewhere, as you know.

To my understanding, these are yidam practices, or primarily so, though often with associated rituals including "LuJin"--"offering of the body," which is what most people understand to be "chod practice."

"Opening the Sky Door"--(or "Opening the Gates of Space," or however one likes to translate it) is not a yidam practice; it is more akin to a special transmission of blessings, as well as an authorization, these days. It is concerned with the Fourth Empowerment, in HYT, we could say....and also related to Phowa. As Magnus said, there are two versions in DamNgak Dzo, and there are likely other versions which reflect the same basic principles.

In many systems of Lujin, Troma "self-visualization" is a feature or technique that may be employed for certain purposes. But this is not strictly equivalent to the practice of Troma as a yidam. Regarding the latter practice, there are a wide variety of Troma sadhanas, from the quite terse self-generations, to the system of Dudjom Tersar which is a complete cycle of techniques related to Dzogchen, and including Ngondro, Yidam practice, Lujin and the "Feasts," as well as TsaLung, Trekcho and Togal.

Simply put, if one wishes to practice "Chod," by which we usually mean "LuJin," one needs the transmission of Opening the Sky Door. A Troma wang is not needed for the purposes of doing certain wrathful feasts, etc.

If one wishes to practice Troma as a yidam, one would need to empowerments of whichever cycle of that practice one would be engaging in, at best. At least, some sort of specific Troma wang, I would think. Though there is the school of thinking that obtaining and practicing one major HYT cycle empowers all, in some sense...if one is going to take Troma as one's main practice, I think getting specific is a good idea.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")