Winter teachings with Garchen Rinpoche

dzoki

Winter teachings with Garchen Rinpoche

Postby dzoki » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:37 am

Hi,

does anybody know whether winter teachings with Garchen Rinpoche at Garchen institute will be streamed? Thank you.

Palzang Jangchub

Re: Winter teachings with Garchen Rinpoche

Postby Palzang Jangchub » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:13 pm

No mention of it being streamed on the GBI website announcement for the Winter Teachings, but this has been added to help facilitate accumulation of the 150,000 Manjushri mantras being asked of those attending: https://garchen.net/2016-winter-teachin ... -download/

I will inquire with Bryan via questions@garchen.net, as I've been having luck with contacting them of late. You may want to do the same.

Rinpoche has been allowing teachings and empowerments to be webcast for years, including from Garchen Institute, so I don't see why they wouldnt. Based on the Great Empowerment of Yamantaka and the mantras they're asking to be accumulated, they might choose to do like Gar Drölma with the Six Yogas teachings and only give the webcast link to those who commit to accumulating (at least for the sessions of that empowerment).

Even if they're not webcasting it, Rinpoche recently gave teachings on the Three Roots in Kiev, Ukraine which can be found here and on YouTube), so there should be some overlap with what he'll be teaching on Fivefold Mahamudra.

He also gave teachings on Fivefold Mahamudra (specifically in the context of his new ngöndro sadhana) in Singapore back in July which was supposedly webcast, but as of yet I've been unable to get any video, audio, or transcripts. If anyone could help me in regards to this, it would be most appreciated!

Tsewang Dzingpa empowerment has been given in the U.S. before by Ontul Rinpoche, and probably several other lamas who propagate the Yangzab cycle, so if you can't get that by webcast there's some precedent for you being able to receive it at some other juncture.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

Miroku

Postby Miroku » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:24 pm

Hmmm will some lung for the Manjushri be given or is it naturally part of the empowerment or can a person do the practice even without lung? Because I would like to participate via webcast, but dont have lung for the practice.
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

Palzang Jangchub

Postby Palzang Jangchub » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:01 pm

Dzoki, the response I got from Garchen Institute is as follows:

The links are put up a week before the teachings.
So just keep an eye on the webpage www.garchen.net

It's not a direct yes or no, but seems to imply a webcast if you ask me.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

Palzang Jangchub

Postby Palzang Jangchub » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Miroku wrote:Hmmm will some lung for the Manjushri be given or is it naturally part of the empowerment or can a person do the practice even without lung? Because I would like to participate via webcast, but dont have lung for the practice.

The mantras for Yamantaka and Manjushri Vakishvara (the form of Peaceful Manjushri practiced in Drikung) are different, so even though one typically accumulates 600,000 Manjushri mantras before practicing Yamantaka, they are two separate but related practices. It's not been my experience that one receives both mantras during Yamantaka wang, but those were the concise torwang, and this will be much more elaborate, so who knows.

The lung for that sadhana isn't listed specifically on the schedule, so it doesn't seem like it will be given during the teachings by Garchen Rinpoche (presumably many of Rinpoche's students already have it), especially considering his problems with his eyesight. However, it is still possible.

Your best bet would be to make sure to tune in for the first group session of Peaceful Manjushri. Perhaps Lama Tenzin or Lama Abao will give transmission before they get started with the practice, or maybe you could even count the group practice as a lung. Be aware that all times posted on Garchen.net are local AZ time, and should be adjusted to your timezone accordingly. I suggest using https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

If not, maybe you can practice it with the intention to get the lung in the near future. Do you already have Manjushri empowerment? Are there any Drikung centers or lamas near you, Miroku? Rinpoche has been very explicit that anyone who's received the transmission cam give it, even in their native language.
Last edited by Palzang Jangchub on Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miroku

Postby Miroku » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:23 pm

I think I have received lung for manjushri mantra from Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche, however I will have to check my notes.

I am from Czechia and most of the time pretty broke, which means that I unfortunately have no center near me. The nearest one is in Germany, which is way too far for me.

Hmm so it would be possible to receive the lung from some practitioner via skype or sth?

Well if I am correct than doing the practice with a lama is the best way to receive the lung, right? :D
~ Padampa Sangye

Palzang Jangchub

Postby Palzang Jangchub » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:42 pm

Miroku wrote:I think I have received lung for manjushri mantra from Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche, however I will have to check my notes.

I am from Czechia and most of the time pretty broke, which means that I unfortunately have no center near me. The nearest one is in Germany, which is way too far for me.

Hmm so it would be possible to receive the lung from some practitioner via skype or sth?

Well if I am correct than doing the practice with a lama is the best way to receive the lung, right? :D

If that's the case, most likely what you received was OM A RA PA TSA NA DHIH. We typically use a different mantra in Drikung, as you can see from the sadhana.

After a quick internet search to get my bearings for Czechia, I was able to find this listing on the official Drikung International website (though keep in mind this might be out of date):

Czech Republic
-----
Drikung Sergyi Karma Ling
Vratenin 48
CZ 67108
Contact Person1: Gita-Gaupp Berghausen
Contact Person2: Harald Kutzenberger
Phone1: +43 1 7494247
Phone2: +43 6763283312
drikung@1012.at
www.drikung-orden.at

Hope this helps!

Miroku

Postby Miroku » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:01 am

Karma Jinpa wrote:
Miroku wrote:I think I have received lung for manjushri mantra from Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche, however I will have to check my notes.

If that's the case, most likely what you received was OM A RA PA TSA NA DHIH. We typically use a different mantra in Drikung, as you can see from the sadhana.

After a quick internet search to get my bearings for Czechia, I was able to find this listing on the official Drikung International website (though keep in mind this might be out of date):

Czech Republic
-----
Drikung Sergyi Karma Ling
Vratenin 48
CZ 67108
Contact Person1: Gita-Gaupp Berghausen
Contact Person2: Harald Kutzenberger
Phone1: +43 1 7494247
Phone2: +43 6763283312
drikung@1012.at
http://www.drikung-orden.at

Hope this helps!

Wow! Thank you alot Karma! :-) I will try to contact them.
~ Padampa Sangye

Lhasa

Postby Lhasa » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:11 am

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/eMg77mH49K6
Link for webcast.

This years winter teachings will include a group practice of Peaceful Manjushri on:

December 31st: 7am-8am & 7pm-8pm
January 1st: 7am-8am & 7pm-8pm

We will live stream the 7am-8am sessions.

dzoki

Postby dzoki » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:57 am

Karma Jinpa wrote:Dzoki, the response I got from Garchen Institute is as follows:

The links are put up a week before the teachings.
So just keep an eye on the webpage http://www.garchen.net

It's not a direct yes or no, but seems to imply a webcast if you ask me.

Thank you very much Jinpa.

Miroku

Postby Miroku » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:05 pm

What is the preliminary empowerment? I have never heard of it and am very curious about the meaning of it. Is it possible to only receive the main empowerment without receiving the preliminary one?
~ Padampa Sangye

Palzang Jangchub

Postby Palzang Jangchub » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:53 pm

Since this will be the Great Empowerment of Yamantaka, it will be quite elaborate and thus given in stages (on an external level, the entire ritual can't fit into a single 2 or so hour session).

It seems to follow roughly the same timeline as other elaborate Highest Yoga Tantra empowerments that have been given by Drikung Kyabgön Chetsang Rinpoche and others, such as Hevajra and Chakrasamvara.

However, the origin of Yamantaka as practiced in the Drikung lineage stems from Nyingma sources (the transmission goes back to Nubchen Sangye Yeshe, amongst others), entering Drikung via Gyalwang Rinchen Phuntsok, with later supplements from terma revealed by Drikungpas such as Rinchen Phuntsok's grandson, Rigdzin Chökyi Drakpa (the 1st Chungtsang Rinpoche) and Lho Nuden Dorjé. Thus I'm not sure about how it compares/contrasts with HYT, nor do I know which of the Nine Yanas it is categorized as. Presumably it belongs to Maha, Anu, and/or Ati Yoga.

See: https://m.facebook.com/pg/Drikung-Yaman ... _tn__=%2As

What it boils down to is that more often than not, empowerments given in public or to groups of people (especially in the West) are most often torwang (torma empowerments) or jenang (permission blessings). These are the most abbreviated empowerment rituals; they take the shortest amount of time and have far fewer steps.

By contrast, wangchen (great empowerments) are far more elaborate and have many more steps in order for the ritual to be complete (kusha grass, blindfolds, and mandala divination might all be involved, for instance).

Palzang Jangchub

Postby Palzang Jangchub » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:22 pm

Lhasa wrote:http://www.ustream.tv/channel/eMg77mH49K6
Link for webcast.

This years winter teachings will include a group practice of Peaceful Manjushri on:

Thanks for this, Lhasa! Do you happen to be staff or a work-study at GBI? I hadn't realized you were involved with the center. Emaho!

Lhasa

Postby Lhasa » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:53 pm

Karma Jinpa wrote:
Lhasa wrote:http://www.ustream.tv/channel/eMg77mH49K6
Link for webcast.

Thanks for this, Lhasa! Do you happen to be staff or a work-study at GBI? I hadn't realized you were involved with the center. Emaho!

No, I wish! I just post information for the online cyber sangha that I receive via emails.

Palzang Jangchub

Postby Palzang Jangchub » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:17 pm

Oh, I see. When you said "we" I thought you were speaking on behalf of GBI. You were quoting them. Gotcha.

Webcast has officially been confirmed. Vietnamese and (presumably Mandarin) Chinese audio-only translations provided at separate links. Details found here: https://garchen.net/winter-teachings-li ... ing-links/

Palzang Jangchub

UPDATE: Winter teachings with Garchen Rinpoche

Postby Palzang Jangchub » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:31 am

2017 WINTER TEACHING UPDATE
Great News!!! To celebrate 2017 New Year, H.E. Garchen Rinpoche will bestow the Great Empowerment of Yamantaka [for the] whole day on the Jan. 1st.

JAN 1ST:

9am – 12pm: Main Empowerment of Yamantaka.

2pm-5pm: Main Empowerment Continued w/ Mandala Offering.

Source: https://garchen.net/2017-winter-teaching-update/

Emphasis mine. Presumably this means that Garchen Rinpoche himself will teach on the special aspects of Yamantaka, rather than Lama Tenzin as previously planned.

karlinsj

Postby karlinsj » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:47 am

I think I read somewhere that Garchen Rinpoche considers it sufficient to see a livestream in order to get an empowerment. Do you know if this is the case with these teachings? I'm thinking specifically about Tsewang Dzinpa. I just emailed Garchen Institute, just wondering if you had some idea about this.

Lhasa

Postby Lhasa » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:41 am

karlinsj wrote:I think I read somewhere that Garchen Rinpoche considers it sufficient to see a livestream in order to get an empowerment. Do you know if this is the case with these teachings? I'm thinking specifically about Tsewang Dzinpa. I just emailed Garchen Institute, just wondering if you had some idea about this.

Yes, this applies to all the empowerments he live-streams. He has given a shorter Yamantaka empowerment online a couple years ago and he told me that yes, I had received that empowerment, when I asked that question in an email. He has also said you can receive from the video recording of an empowerment.

karlinsj

Postby karlinsj » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:19 am

How exciting! Thanks very much.

Lhasa

Postby Lhasa » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:52 am

https://www.facebook.com/garcheninstitute/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf
From GBI facebook page.
Translation of the above video.

"Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

To all my friends around the world I send my New Year’s wishes of auspicious good fortune. As everyone has been our kind parent in one life or another since time without beginning, in the coming year we should treat one another like members of the same family. Thus, all sentient ones should show love and affection to one another as if we were all family. That which is called “love and affection” is happiness itself and the cause of happiness.

If one has the thought, “May this world become good,” then that person’s mind will also become good. To wish for others’ well-being is a cause for one’s own goodness. From the ultimate perspective, self and other are not two. So, even though self and other appear as two from the perspective of fictional truth, when one has the thought to benefit others, ultimately it benefits oneself.

So we should all make prayers of aspiration that this world become good. It is important that we cultivate mutual love, affection and harmonious connections. So, at the start of this new year, we should make aspirations for harmony among the races, nations and religious traditions of this world.

May you all have abundant good fortune, happiness and radiant physical health and may you attain comfort and ease!

These words were spoken by Kyabjé Garchen Triptrül Rinpoché and translated into English by the disciple Ari-ma on 24 December, 2016.

Return to “Kagyu”