Ozer Chenma (21 taras)

karlinsj

Ozer Chenma (21 taras)

Post by karlinsj » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Someone mentioned the practice of Ozer Chenma from 21 taras as being good for provocation illnness/lha retrieval.

I looked through my 21 taras and couldn't find Ozer Chenma. Is she specific to certain kinds of 21 tara practice?

pemachophel

Re: Ozer Chenma (21 taras)

Post by pemachophel » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:43 pm

Ozer Chenma's Tibetan name is Marichi. She is usually listed as the last of the 21. In the famous Praises to the 21 Taras, the following is Her invocation:

Homage to you, Tara, adorned by the three suchnesses,
Perfectly endowed with the power of serenity,
You who destroy the host of evil spirits, raised corpses, and yakshas, O TURE, most excellent and sublime!

(FPMT translation)

Here's Ozer Chenma's dharani from the gZungs 'Dus. Since it comes from the Kangyur, it doesn't need lung/transmission, although that would be helpful. BTW, this is my translation.

Arya Marichi Dharani

Gya-gar ked-du: Arya Marichi Nama Dharani
Bod ked-du: Phag-ma Od-zer Chen Zhe-ja-wai Zung

I prostrate to all the Buddhas and Bodhisatvas.

Thus I have heard:

Once the Blessed One was dwelling at Shravasti in the Jetavana Grove, the contemplative garden of Ananthapindada, together with a great gathering of 1250 monks and many Bodhisatva Mahasatvas in one skillful device. Then the Blessed One spoke these words to those monks:

"Oh monks, there is a holy Goddess named Marichi Who dwells near the sun and moon and is drawn forward by them. She is incomparable, unseizable, unbindable, unstoppable, unassailable, unobscurable, unpunishable, unable to be decapitated, indestructible, free from being burned, and unconquerable by enemies.

"Oh monks, whoever merely knows Marichi's name, such a person also becomes incomparable, unseizable, unbindable, unstoppable, unassailable, unobscurable, unpunishable, unable to be decapitated, indestructible, free from being burned, and unconquerable by enemies.

"In the same way, because you also know Marichi's name, may you too become incomparable, unseizable, unbindable, unstoppable, unassailable, unobscurable, unpunishable, unable to be decapitated, indestructible, free from being burned, and unconquerable by enemies.

"For this, the words of [Her] secret mantra are these:

"TAD-YA-THA
OM PA-TA-TRA MA-SI
PA-RAA-TRA MA-SI
U-DA-YA MA-SI
NE-RA MA-SI
AK-KA MA-SI
MAK-KA MA-SI
UR MA-SI
BA-NA MA-SI
GUL-MA MA-SI
TSII-BA-RA MA-SI
MA-HA TSII-BA-RA MA-SI
AN-TAR DHAM-NA MA-SI SO-HA

"OM
Goddess Marichi, protect me when I am on the road.
Protect me from wrong paths.
Protect me from the fear of [other] beings.
Protect me from the fear of kings.
Protect me from the fear of elephants.
Protect me from the fear of robbers.
Protect me from the fear of Nagas.
Protect me from the fear of lions.
Protect me from the fear of tigers.
Protect me from the fear of fire.
Protect me from the fear of water.
Protect me from the fear of snakes.
Protect me from the fear of poisons.
Protect me from all adversaries and enemies.
Protect me from all lions, whether disturbed or undisturbed, hurt or unhurt.
Protect me from tigers.
Protect me from Nagas.
Protect me from snakes.
Protect me, protect me from all fear [due to] harm, epidemics, turmoil, and warfare!

"NA-MO RAT-NA TRA-YA-YA
TAD-YA-THA
OM A-LO TA-LO KA-LO SAT-TSA-LO
SA-MA-PA MUR-DHI-TI
RAK-SHA RAK-SHA MAM

"Protect me and all sentient beings from all harm, fears, and diseases SO-HA.

"I prostrate to the Three Jewels.

"The heart[-essence] of Goddess Marichi is thus proclaimed:

"TAD-YA-THA
OM BAT-TA-LI
BA-DA-LI
BA-RA-LI
BA-RA-HA MU-KHI
SAR-WA DUSH-TA
PRA-DUSH-TA-NAM
TSAK-SHUR MU-KHAM
BAN-DHA BAN-DHA MU-KHAM
DZAM-BA-YA TAM-BA-YA MO-HA SO-HA
OM MA-RI-DZE-YE SO-HA

"OM BA-RA-LI
BA-DA-LI
BAT-TA-LI
BA-RA-HA MU-KHI
SAR-WA DUSH-TA-NAM
PRA-DUSH-TA-NAM
TSAK-SHUR MU-KHAM BAN-DHA BAN-DHA SO-HA"

When the Blessed One had said this, those monks and Bodhisatvas along with their retinues as well as the world with its Gods, humans, Asuras, and Gandharvas rejoiced [and] praised the words spoken by the Blessed One.
[Thus] the Arya Marichi Dharani is completed.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

karlinsj

Post by karlinsj » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:21 pm

That's incredible. Thank you!

Not sure if this is specific to Kagyu or Drikung Kagyu, but my last tara is not Marichi, she's listed as "Trinle Tamche Yongsu Dzogpar Jepei Drolma, She Who Completely Perfects All Enlightened Activities." She is white, radiates varicolored lights, holds a green flask "whence come all magical attainments." So white, with a karma vibe I guess.

Marichi seems to be yellow or white with a yellow tinge. I see Shiwa Chenmo and Shiwa Chenma who are white and seem similar, but not quite the same.

Anyway, fun to obsess over the details of practice. Thanks again for the text, I will make sure to print it out and use it.

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:03 pm

pemachophel wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:43 pm
Ozer Chenma's Tibetan name is Marichi. She is usually listed as the last of the 21. In the famous Praises to the 21 Taras, the following is Her invocation:

Homage to you, Tara, adorned by the three suchnesses,
Perfectly endowed with the power of serenity,
You who destroy the host of evil spirits, raised corpses, and yakshas, O TURE, most excellent and sublime!

(FPMT translation)

Here's Ozer Chenma's dharani from the gZungs 'Dus. Since it comes from the Kangyur, it doesn't need lung/transmission, although that would be helpful. BTW, this is my translation.

Arya Marichi Dharani

Gya-gar ked-du: Arya Marichi Nama Dharani
Bod ked-du: Phag-ma Od-zer Chen Zhe-ja-wai Zung

I prostrate to all the Buddhas and Bodhisatvas.

Thus I have heard:

Once the Blessed One was dwelling at Shravasti in the Jetavana Grove, the contemplative garden of Ananthapindada, together with a great gathering of 1250 monks and many Bodhisatva Mahasatvas in one skillful device. Then the Blessed One spoke these words to those monks:

"Oh monks, there is a holy Goddess named Marichi Who dwells near the sun and moon and is drawn forward by them. She is incomparable, unseizable, unbindable, unstoppable, unassailable, unobscurable, unpunishable, unable to be decapitated, indestructible, free from being burned, and unconquerable by enemies.

"Oh monks, whoever merely knows Marichi's name, such a person also becomes incomparable, unseizable, unbindable, unstoppable, unassailable, unobscurable, unpunishable, unable to be decapitated, indestructible, free from being burned, and unconquerable by enemies.

"In the same way, because you also know Marichi's name, may you too become incomparable, unseizable, unbindable, unstoppable, unassailable, unobscurable, unpunishable, unable to be decapitated, indestructible, free from being burned, and unconquerable by enemies.

"For this, the words of [Her] secret mantra are these:

"TAD-YA-THA
OM PA-TA-TRA MA-SI
PA-RAA-TRA MA-SI
U-DA-YA MA-SI
NE-RA MA-SI
AK-KA MA-SI
MAK-KA MA-SI
UR MA-SI
BA-NA MA-SI
GUL-MA MA-SI
TSII-BA-RA MA-SI
MA-HA TSII-BA-RA MA-SI
AN-TAR DHAM-NA MA-SI SO-HA

"OM
Goddess Marichi, protect me when I am on the road.
Protect me from wrong paths.
Protect me from the fear of [other] beings.
Protect me from the fear of kings.
Protect me from the fear of elephants.
Protect me from the fear of robbers.
Protect me from the fear of Nagas.
Protect me from the fear of lions.
Protect me from the fear of tigers.
Protect me from the fear of fire.
Protect me from the fear of water.
Protect me from the fear of snakes.
Protect me from the fear of poisons.
Protect me from all adversaries and enemies.
Protect me from all lions, whether disturbed or undisturbed, hurt or unhurt.
Protect me from tigers.
Protect me from Nagas.
Protect me from snakes.
Protect me, protect me from all fear [due to] harm, epidemics, turmoil, and warfare!

"NA-MO RAT-NA TRA-YA-YA
TAD-YA-THA
OM A-LO TA-LO KA-LO SAT-TSA-LO
SA-MA-PA MUR-DHI-TI
RAK-SHA RAK-SHA MAM

"Protect me and all sentient beings from all harm, fears, and diseases SO-HA.

"I prostrate to the Three Jewels.

"The heart[-essence] of Goddess Marichi is thus proclaimed:

"TAD-YA-THA
OM BAT-TA-LI
BA-DA-LI
BA-RA-LI
BA-RA-HA MU-KHI
SAR-WA DUSH-TA
PRA-DUSH-TA-NAM
TSAK-SHUR MU-KHAM
BAN-DHA BAN-DHA MU-KHAM
DZAM-BA-YA TAM-BA-YA MO-HA SO-HA
OM MA-RI-DZE-YE SO-HA

"OM BA-RA-LI
BA-DA-LI
BAT-TA-LI
BA-RA-HA MU-KHI
SAR-WA DUSH-TA-NAM
PRA-DUSH-TA-NAM
TSAK-SHUR MU-KHAM BAN-DHA BAN-DHA SO-HA"

When the Blessed One had said this, those monks and Bodhisatvas along with their retinues as well as the world with its Gods, humans, Asuras, and Gandharvas rejoiced [and] praised the words spoken by the Blessed One.
[Thus] the Arya Marichi Dharani is completed.
Thanks for this :thanks:
'When alone, watch your mind. When with others, watch your speech'- Old Kadampa saying.

lelopa

Post by lelopa » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:14 am

pemachophel wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:43 pm
Ozer Chenma's Tibetan name is Marichi.
No, Ozer Chenma's SANSKRIT name is Marici.

Ozer Chenma IS the tibetan name!
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Absolutely correct. My bad.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:45 pm

karlinsj wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:21 pm
That's incredible. Thank you!

Not sure if this is specific to Kagyu or Drikung Kagyu, but my last tara is not Marichi, she's listed as "Trinle Tamche Yongsu Dzogpar Jepei Drolma, She Who Completely Perfects All Enlightened Activities." She is white, radiates varicolored lights, holds a green flask "whence come all magical attainments." So white, with a karma vibe I guess.

Marichi seems to be yellow or white with a yellow tinge. I see Shiwa Chenmo and Shiwa Chenma who are white and seem similar, but not quite the same.

Anyway, fun to obsess over the details of practice. Thanks again for the text, I will make sure to print it out and use it.
There are slight variations of the 21 Taras. The Suryagupta and Atisha has Paripurana Tara (The Perfector) as the last Tara. The Nyingma/Longchen 21 Taras have Marichi as the last Tara. In some Suryagupta lineages, you will also obtain Marichi empowerment as part of the 9th Tara (along with the other attendant of Tara, Ekajati).

So you probably received the Atisha or Suryagupta 21 Taras set. But as pemachopel mentioned, Marichi is from sutra, so no need for empowerment, unless you wish to do self-visualization.
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher

Return to “Kagyu”