Yamantaka with Protection Sphere

Lhasa

Yamantaka with Protection Sphere

Post by Lhasa »

TashiBob4671

Re: Yamantaka with Protection Sphere

Post by TashiBob4671 »

This looks interesting. Can someone give an explanation or is it a secret practice?
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

https://www.facebook.com/RinchenCholing ... 2694724963
Garchen Rinpoche is giving online empowerment for Yamantaka and teachings this weekend, info at the above link.
Ustream link:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/eMg77mH49K6
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Just keep in mind that the Yamantaka practice done in Drikung, with Garchen Rinpoche, differs from the Vajrabhairava practices that Geluk folks do.

Drikung's Yamantaka is a terma. Nyingma tradition.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote:Just keep in mind that the Yamantaka practice done in Drikung, with Garchen Rinpoche, differs from the Vajrabhairava practices that Geluk folks do.

its actually a kama tradition (from Nubchen) reinforced with pure visions.

I have seen the original six armed Yamantaka statue at Samye, made in India. It looks very little like Tibetan representations.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Malcolm wrote:
conebeckham wrote:Just keep in mind that the Yamantaka practice done in Drikung, with Garchen Rinpoche, differs from the Vajrabhairava practices that Geluk folks do.

OH! that's cool. Didn't know that. Do any of the main Nyingma monasteries practice it as well?
I have seen the original six armed Yamantaka statue at Samye, made in India. It looks very little like Tibetan representations.
No buffalo head, eh? :smile:

Kama has always interested me, it seems fairly rare that people practice it. Khon Luk Phurba, and Yangdak, notwithstanding...and the Kamai Drupchen and Gongpa Dupa Do....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Malcolm wrote:
conebeckham wrote:Just keep in mind that the Yamantaka practice done in Drikung, with Garchen Rinpoche, differs from the Vajrabhairava practices that Geluk folks do. Drikung's Yamantaka is a terma. Nyingma tradition.
Having read the history at the beginning of the Drubchen sadhana, it says that it was Kama until Nubchen Sangye Yeshe hid it at Khoting temple in Lhodrak and also at Riwoche. Nubchen being one of the 25+ disciples of Guru Rinpoche, wouldn't him hiding it make it a kind of terma?

Gyalwang Rinchen Phuntsok (either the 16th or 17th Drikung throneholder and also the tertön who rediscovered the Yangzab Dzogchen terma cycle) revealed the text(s), and the cycle was later reinforced by his grandson, Rigdzin Chökyi Drakpa (a.k.a. Drikung Dharmakirti, the 1st Chungtsang Rinpoche), likely via the pure visions mentioned by Malcolm.

By my count, that makes it Kama, Terma, and Pure Vision!!!

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Palzang Jangchub

An important question that has, to my knowledge, not been asked: Which the artist(s) created this, and is it officially produced or merely someone's interpretation?

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Karma Jinpa wrote:An important question that has, to my knowledge, not been asked: Which the artist(s) created this, and is it officially produced or merely someone's interpretation?
Bill O'brien is the artist and I don't know if it is official or not. He has done a series of work on Garchen Rinpoche.
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

Greetings,

Just to clarify about the picture posted. The protection spheres above Yamantaka are not visualized like that per se.

If you look at the image of the protection spheres in that image you will see a white stupa. In the very center of that stupa, within some other visualizations is where Yamantaka would be. The protections spheres would actually engulf the entire universe.

Hope that helps.
:cheers:

Bryan.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Lhasa wrote: Bill O'brien is the artist and I don't know if it is official or not. He has done a series of work on Garchen Rinpoche.
Nice work.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

more info and pictures
Manjushri Yamari (Tibetan: jam pal shin je. English: Glorious Melodious Speech, Enemy of Death):
http://www.himalayanart.org/items/661
http://www.himalayanart.org/search/set.cfm?setID=349

https://www.facebook.com/Drikung-Yamant ... 882237780/

Yamantaka Mandala
https://www.facebook.com/51132188223778 ... =3&theater
Palzang Jangchub

crazy-man wrote:more info and pictures
Manjushri Yamari [st](Tibetan: jam pal shin je. English: Glorious Melodious Speech, Enemy of Death)[/st]
Jampäl Shinje Shé (Wyl. 'jam dpal gshin rje shed), "Gentle Glory, Enemy of the Lord of Death."

FTFY. There are many mistakes in the names of deities on the Himalayan Art website, despite the excellent art and descriptions they archive.

"Glorious Melodious Speech" would properly be Manjushrighosha/Jampälyang ('jam dpal dbyangs). Shinje (gshin rje) would properly be either Yamarāja or Yameshvara (i.e. the Lord of Death himself), not his Destroyer (Skt. antaka) or his Enemy (Skt. ari).

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could speak about the meaning of gshed, since in the dictionaries I use it seems to indicate that it could translate the either destroyer or enemy?

Also not entirely sure if Shinshé (gshin gshed) is ever used by Tibetans. The rje/īśvara/r aspect seems to have rather implicit than explicit

Ogaf

Post by Ogaf »

Earlier in this thread Malcolm mentioned a six-armed Yamantaka statue at Samye. Does anyone know where I can find an image of this statue, please? My google-fu is failing me. Failing that, any image of an Indian form of Yamantaka would also be good.

Return to “Kagyu”