Empowerments from different lineages

MatthewAngby

Empowerments from different lineages

Post by MatthewAngby »

Hello guys! I am planning to receive a empowerment from the Drikung Kagyu lineage. I was wondering if I could practise it still even if I jump to different lineages next time - karma kagyu etc. . Btw there is a retreat the next day after the empowerment and it says that it welcomes people who have the deity empowerment from any lineage. From here, I would suppose i could practise it even if I jump to another kagyu lineage next time? I am not sure so pls help me. Thank you ! :)
Malcolm

Re: Empowerments from different lineages

Post by Malcolm »

MatthewAngby wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:36 pm Hello guys! I am planning to receive a empowerment from the Drikung Kagyu lineage.
Well, actually you are planning to receive an empowerment from a Drikung Kagyu guru. The guru is what counts here. Your motivation should be to receive teachings from this person, not their lineage.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Yes you can. I have received teachings from several masters from different lineages (just like most of us here I think). However as Malcolm pointed out the main thing is the teacher, you will receive teachings from them not from lineage, so take a good look at the teacher ask yourself if you want to receive teachings from them and then decide.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

I mean sure I can. I have talked to him several times before. However I’m just discovering about the karma kagyu lineage, so I am not too sure too, although I must say he Is quite pleasant to be around with.
Tlalok

Post by Tlalok »

If you can see all lamas that give you the empowerments united as the Guru, it doesn't matter how many empowerments or from which lineage you receive them.
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

It should be fine.

Return to “Kagyu”