Another Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche

Sonam Wangchug

Re: Another Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

I understand faith according to its basic definition provided by the Kośa: "śraddha (dad pa) is a mental factor that brings clarity to the mind." I don't have much use for faith beyond that. I do respect other's faith, but not when they use it as an argument in a discussion.
& how about the faith that Patrul rinpoche elucidates in WOMPT, or Jigme lingpa's presentation for that matter (4 levels). "Vivid faith, Eager faith, and confident faith".

""Just as taking refuge opens the gateway to all teachings and practices it is faith that opens the gateway to taking refuge " (P171)"

Vivid faith -- "" the faith that is inspired in us by thinking of the immense compassion of the Buddhas and great teachers."(172). "
"We might experience this kind of faith on visiting a temple containing many representations of the buddha's body, speech, and mind, or after an encounter with a great teacher or spiritual friend we have just met personally or whose qualities or life-story we have heard described."

Eager faith -- "Eager faith is our eagerness to be free of the sufferings of the lower realms" (172)

Confident faith ""It is total trust in the Three Jewels alone that comes from the knowledge that they are the only unfailing refuge" (Patrul rinpoche 172). "
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sonam Wangchug wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:50 pm
I understand faith according to its basic definition provided by the Kośa: "śraddha (dad pa) is a mental factor that brings clarity to the mind." I don't have much use for faith beyond that. I do respect other's faith, but not when they use it as an argument in a discussion.
& how about the faith that Patrul rinpoche elucidates in WOMPT, or Jigme lingpa's presentation for that matter (4 levels). "Vivid faith, Eager faith, and confident faith".

""Just as taking refuge opens the gateway to all teachings and practices it is faith that opens the gateway to taking refuge " (P171)"

Vivid faith -- "" the faith that is inspired in us by thinking of the immense compassion of the Buddhas and great teachers."(172). "
"We might experience this kind of faith on visiting a temple containing many representations of the buddha's body, speech, and mind, or after an encounter with a great teacher or spiritual friend we have just met personally or whose qualities or life-story we have heard described."

Eager faith -- "Eager faith is our eagerness to be free of the sufferings of the lower realms" (172)

Confident faith ""It is total trust in the Three Jewels alone that comes from the knowledge that they are the only unfailing refuge" (Patrul rinpoche 172). "
Of the Three Jewels, Maitreyanatha tells us in the Uttaratantra, the only true refuge is the dharmakāya. So in my arrogance, I consider that to be my refuge, when we talk about the Three Jewels.

As for these other objects, if they make one's mind clear, and less afflicted, they are positive. But we Buddhists turn buddhas into demons all the time because of our clinging and attachment. I see it here somewhat frequently and am also guilty as charged.
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:01 pm

Of the Three Jewels, Maitreyanatha tells us in the Uttaratantra, the only true refuge is the dharmakāya. So in my arrogance, I consider that to be my refuge, when we talk about the Three Jewels.

As for these other objects, if they make one's mind clear, and less afflicted, they are positive. But we Buddhists turn buddhas into demons all the time because of our clinging and attachment. I see it here somewhat frequently and am also guilty as charged.
As far as the Outer, inner, and secret guru is concerned, there is no hierarchy where one is higher/better than the other.

& according to the 3rd jamgon kongtrul rinpoche, it is actually not appropriate to separate them. (since these aspects are inseparable)

To be fair, if arguing from the perspective of the Uttaratantra then all aspects of the Buddha are not compounded phenomena, even the buddhas body (major and minor marks). Shentongpa's will go so far as to say all of the major and minor marks are fully present within everyone even if not perceived. However I am not interested in that debate, just throwing it out there.
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sonam Wangchug wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:04 pm
Malcolm wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:01 pm

As far as the Outer, inner, and secret guru is concerned, there is no hierarchy where one is higher/better than the other.

& according to the 3rd jamgon kongtrul rinpoche, it is actually not appropriate to separate them. (since these aspects are inseparable)

To be fair, if arguing from the perspective of the Uttaratantra then all aspects of the Buddha are not compounded phenomena, even the buddhas body (major and minor marks). Shentongpa's will go so far as to say all of the major and minor marks are fully present within everyone even if not perceived. However I am not interested in that debate, just throwing it out there.
But from the aspect of the Prajñāpāramitā, as we know, whoever perceives a tathāgata through marks is not perceiving the tathāgata at all, to quote Conze's Diamond Sūtra translation:

The Lord continued: 'What do you think, Subhuti, can the Tathagata be seen by the possession of his marks?' Subhuti replied: 'No indeed, O Lord. And why? What has been taught by the Tathagata as the possession of marks, that is truly a no-possession of no-marks.' The Lord said: 'Wherever there is possession of marks, there is fraud, wherever there is no-possession of no-marks there is no fraud. Hence the Tathagata is to be seen from no marks as marks.
gyamtsotrinle

Post by gyamtsotrinle »

oh,..I am sorry, this was not my intention to spread this discussion to the little bit different direction. I just want to only know where is he now.:-) Not whether 16.Karmapa is like that or that. and so on. (anyway for me he is buddha, and Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche is buddha for some of you) I am apolozige.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

gyamtsotrinle wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:27 pm oh,..I am sorry, this was not my intention to spread this discussion to the little bit different direction. I just want to only know where is he now.:-) Not whether 16.Karmapa is like that or that. and so on. (anyway for me he is buddha, and Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche is buddha for some of you) I am apolozige.
This is standard DW. Totally discursive entertainment for the discerning consumer of Dharma drama.
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:31 pm
gyamtsotrinle wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:27 pm oh,..I am sorry, this was not my intention to spread this discussion to the little bit different direction. I just want to only know where is he now.:-) Not whether 16.Karmapa is like that or that. and so on. (anyway for me he is buddha, and Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche is buddha for some of you) I am apolozige.
This is standard DW. Totally discursive entertainment for the discerning consumer of Dharma drama.
Totally entertained, thank you!
gb9810

Post by gb9810 »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:15 pm
When Buddhist grow up, they realize that there is no higher authority than their own personal opinion. Even their deference to their gurus is based solely on their own personal opinion.
:twothumbsup:
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:31 pm
You know we can actually contribute to avoid that if we choose too

Return to “Kagyu”