Karmapa OTR is not happy, speaks out

Vasana

Re: Karmapa OTR is not happy, speaks out

Post by Vasana »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:14 am My take on this speech is that (we) Kagyu dharma people need to get our own shit together and come together,
and quit waiting around for HH17K to wave some kind of magic wand and do everything himself.
Yep! That is definitely one of the take-home points and it's transferable insight for other lineages and sanghas too, large or small. To help any Buddhist lineage ( and the diverse teachings) survive and flourish in this strange age we find ourselves in requires more understanding and group effort at all scales.

HHKarmpa:
A single pillar can’t hold up a single building, can it? Everyone needs to work hard and help out. We say that everyone has to have people who take care of them. If you’re taking care of somebody, you need other people to take care of you.

Without any support for yourself, there’s no benefit to teaching and helping beings all by yourself. We Buddhists believe in karma – cause and effect. We believe in the view of inter-dependence. Inter-dependence means that in all situations, no matter what they may be, occur because of multiple causes and conditions. There’s nothing that can be accomplished with a single cause or a single condition. This is something that everyone needs to take into consideration.

In brief, our Kagyu lineage in general, and in particular the Karma Kamtsang, it’s like we’re a big family. It’s like a big family and in this family, the Gyalwa Karmapa is like the father of the family. But the father can’t take all the responsibility alone. The support of all the family members is needed.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Well, I took the time to read the transcript (weird that, I prefer reading to watching a video, probably because it is easier to skim) and I have to say that he said some very brave things. Good on him for being so honest! I imagine some of the more hardcore members of the Kagyu hierarchy at the Monlam, would have had a fit! :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:32 am ... read the transcript (weird that, I prefer reading to watching a video, probably because it is easier to skim)
Whatever the subject, I usually prefer a written version for exactly that reason. I think it's pretty normal.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com

Return to “Kagyu”