Vajrayana is not Tibetan Buddhism

Questionsdharma

Vajrayana is not Tibetan Buddhism

Post by Questionsdharma »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vividness. ... dhism/amp/

That's what this guy claims about karma kagyu.is this true?
Last edited by Grigoris on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed irrelevant topic title
heart

Re: Vajrayana is not Tibetan Buddhism

Post by heart »

Questionsdharma wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:01 am https://www.google.com/amp/s/vividness. ... dhism/amp/

That's what this guy claims about karma kagyu.is this true?
He don't seem to claim anything about the Karma Kagyu, there is just a quote from Shamar Rinpoche?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Blah blah blah...
Was this a written assignment for buddhism 101?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Maybe the other way round it makes sense:
Tibetan Buddhism is not only Vajrayana.
florin

Post by florin »

D. Germano on the same subject:
"In Tibet, however, a brilliant renaissance of Buddhism began around the same time as the final flowering of Buddhist India, driven by a massive importation of literature, practices, and ideas from India across the Himalayas. Uniquely for Buddhist Asia, Tibetans imported and actively developed the full spectrum of
tantric traditions from their early roots in the ritual life of Mahayana through their radicalization in yogini tantras to their final systematization within the Kalacakra literature. One of the most interesting aspects of this was the emergence of
esoteric Buddhism as a vehicle for vital philosophical discourses and innovations. From the eleventh to fourteenth, a series of thinkers and traditions in Tibet pursued central philosophical issues in a systematic and rigorous fashion within
a specifically esoteric discursive terrain. Working within different evolving sectarian configurations across a huge geographical area, and often in quite marked disagreement, these thinkers developed a profoundly philosophical transformation of tantra that included distinctive positions on most of the great Buddhist
philosophical motifs – consciousness, emptiness, purity, the nature of the path, the relationship between saÅsara and nirvaja, and perception. This new philosophical literature at times was purely tantric in its citations and frame of reference, while at other times explicitly integrative through detailed references
to exoteric literature and debates. While much of it in form explored the boundary between poetry and philosophy, other texts were formally characterized by the evolving norms of Tibetan scholastic literature, including syllogistic argumentation."
jet.urgyen

Re:

Post by jet.urgyen »

Evidently Vajrayana is not Tibetan Buddhism.

Edit: i mean, tibetan buddhism have tibetan cultural components wich are not buddhism: tulkus for example.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I would agree that Vajrayana is not synonymous with Tibetan Buddhism, but I would not trust most of the article. TB teaches Vajrayana, but not all Vajrayana is Tibetan. I don't think this is controversial.

What is more controversial is this author's penchant for identifying traditions, making bold claims of having a final realization, and then modifying said tradition to cut out the cultural debris. Based on this practice, I would imagine that he may have set his sights on Vajrayana as the next tradition he will treat in this manner. Accordingly, I feel his article is likely tainted by his desire to undermine the elements of Tibetan Buddhism that would stand in the way of his goal. I treat claims to enlightenment (especially self-applied) with a fair amount of cynicism--- claims to enlightenment inevitably lead to problems. If the claim is true, the teacher's statement doesn't help the student who is not enlightened. And if false, it is poisonous to the teacher and student.

I'm also not following the equivalence of Tantra with sex.

It is not reflected in the article, but I believe he was also "enlightened" by Andrew Cohen at one point (which would add the "tradition" of Papaji style neo-Advaita).

More here (most of his old sites have been discontinued):

http://www.spiralnature.com/culture/wor ... n-barford/
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Worthless. The only valid points he makes in the article are already well-known among those who study the subject in any depth. Another self-appointed expert with an axe to grind trying to make a reputation for himself.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Matt J wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:18 amIt is not reflected in the article, but I believe he was also "enlightened" by Andrew Cohen at one point (which would add the "tradition" of Papaji style neo-Advaita).

More here (most of his old sites have been discontinued):

http://www.spiralnature.com/culture/wor ... n-barford/

That is Alan Chapman, the article linked to in the OP is by David Chapman. Totally different chap, man.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Snowbear

Post by Snowbear »

@javier.espinoza.t, Yes, but keep in mind the context.

Vajrayana is a synonym for Highest Yoga Tantra (HYT). Most of Tibetan Buddhism is not HYT (to those fortunate to be practicing HYT within Tibetan Buddhism, you are in the truest sense "Vajrayana practitioners"). HYT in Tibetan Buddhism was not only inhereted from India but is virtually unchanged from its Indian heritage - preserved quite true to the original - hence the author's argument that it isn't the "property" of Tibet or Tibetan culture.

The rest is the author's arguments, whatever they are worth, to wrestle Vajrayana from Tibetan Buddhism (because it is now the sole inheritor and protector of the Vajrayana, but "really" isn't Tibetan) and "modernize" it - whatever that means.

The motivation for the article seems to be an attempt to justify a personal project of his to create a new modern western tantra (which I think he eventually abandoned anyway).

[Worth noting that Chapman is from an Aro gTer background]

That is, really, all there is to the article.
Last edited by Snowbear on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:57 am, edited 7 times in total.
Snowbear

Post by Snowbear »

@Questionsdharma, You need to get in touch face to face with a Lama. Internet is not a suitable source for Dharma.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Snowbear wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:09 am @javier.espinoza.t, Yes, but keep in mind the context.

Vajrayana is a synonym for Highest Yoga Tantra (HYT). Most of Tibetan Buddhism is not HYT (to those fortunate to be practicing HYT within Tibetan Buddhism, you are in the truest sense "Vajrayana practitioners"). HYT in Tibetan Buddhism was not only inhereted from India but is virtually unchanged from its Indian heritage - preserved quite true to the original - hence the author's argument that it isn't the "property" of Tibet or Tibetan culture.

The rest is the author's arguments, whatever they are worth, to wrestle Vajrayana from Tibetan Buddhism (because it is now the sole inheritor and protector of the Vajrayana, but "really" isn't Tibetan) and "modernize" it - whatever that means.

The motivation for the article seems to be an attempt to justify a personal project of his to create a new modern western tantra (which I think he eventually abandoned anyway).

[Worth noting that Chapman is from an Aro gTer background]

That is, really, all there is to the article.
:thumbsup: cultures are necessary
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Snowbear

Post by Snowbear »

Not necessary. Helpful for context and understanding.
Varis

Post by Varis »

Snowbear wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:09 am Vajrayana is a synonym for Highest Yoga Tantra (HYT). Most of Tibetan Buddhism is not HYT (to those fortunate to be practicing HYT within Tibetan Buddhism, you are in the truest sense "Vajrayana practitioners").
Yep, Vajrayana is HYT and Mantrayana is Kriya and Yoga Tantra. Although I would add that Vajrayana exists in Newar Buddhism aswell.
"I have never encountered a person who committed bad deeds." ― Ven. Jìngkōng
florin

Post by florin »

Varis wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:09 am
Snowbear wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:09 am Vajrayana is a synonym for Highest Yoga Tantra (HYT). Most of Tibetan Buddhism is not HYT (to those fortunate to be practicing HYT within Tibetan Buddhism, you are in the truest sense "Vajrayana practitioners").
Yep, Vajrayana is HYT and Mantrayana is Kriya and Yoga Tantra. Although I would add that Vajrayana exists in Newar Buddhism aswell.
So mantrayana and vajrayana are different then ?

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Nine_yanas
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

The linked page says:
In the 1970s, Tibetan pioneers like Tarthang Tulku, Lama Yeshé, and Chögyam Trungpa developed modern presentations of Vajrayana. Around 1990, the Tibetan power structure put a stop to that.
I'm baffled - does anybody know what he's talking about? Quite apart from the fact that he's just wrong - there is no "power structure" that's cohesive enough to do that. But presumably he's built this idea on something - possibly as part of the pitch he's developing. But what?

PS: Varis' claim that
Vajrayana is HYT and Mantrayana is Kriya and Yoga Tantra
is novel. Where did that come from?
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
heart

Post by heart »

Lingpupa wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 am The linked page says:
In the 1970s, Tibetan pioneers like Tarthang Tulku, Lama Yeshé, and Chögyam Trungpa developed modern presentations of Vajrayana. Around 1990, the Tibetan power structure put a stop to that.
I'm baffled - does anybody know what he's talking about? Quite apart from the fact that he's just wrong - there is no "power structure" that's cohesive enough to do that. But presumably he's built this idea on something - possibly as part of the pitch he's developing. But what?

PS: Varis' claim that
Vajrayana is HYT and Mantrayana is Kriya and Yoga Tantra
is novel. Where did that come from?
David Chapman, I stopped read what he write long time ago and I always seen mantrayana and vajrayana as synonyms.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Lingpupa wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 amQuite apart from the fact that he's just wrong - there is no "power structure" that's cohesive enough to do that
You have never heard of VOG: Vajrayana Occupation Government? Not surprising, they are even more secretive than ZOG!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Varis

Post by Varis »

florin wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:08 am So mantrayana and vajrayana are different then ?

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Nine_yanas
I should correct myself.
Tibetans use the words Vajrayana and Mantrayana as synonyms but AFAIK the former term doesn't appear in Kriya and Yoga Tantra because it's a later development, hence why East Asian Buddhists don't use it.
I think it's a case of Mantrayana being regarded as a subcategory of Vajrayana in later developments. Of course East Asian Mantrayana traditions would not recognize this categorization.

Also, Kalachakra was initially referred to as its own yana, Kalachakrayana, though considered a subcategory of Vajrayana.
"I have never encountered a person who committed bad deeds." ― Ven. Jìngkōng
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Always understood Vajrayana as the Yana of Tantra, or 'Secret Mantra'.
Is there some authoritative scripture which shows a separate 'Mantrayana' being followed?
It would seem perverse to separate out the one yana into different yanas according to the level of Tantra so where has this idea originated?

In terms of the thread title, they are not synonymous, I don't believe. Every region has cultural accretions within its Buddhism, but in Tibet we also have the Bon and Shang Shung elements which arguably are not Tibetan 'Buddhism' but may be seen as part of Vajrayana, except when they are being seen as part of shamanism .......... and on we go. :)

Tantra, of course, is far more diverse in its expresssion across the world.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Return to “Kagyu”