Refuge from afar with Garchen Rinpoche

Aspiring.Monk

Refuge from afar with Garchen Rinpoche

Post by Aspiring.Monk »

I am planning on taking Refuge from Afar with Garchen Rinpoche and I have a couple of quick questions that have done this as well.

This page https://garchen.net/refuge-from-afar/ states to listen to the streamed instructions and follow the repetition of the supplication of the refuge vow.

The supplication it is speaking of, it is the following?

I take refuge until I am enlightened
In the Buddhas, the Dharma and the Sangha.
Through the merit I create by practicing giving and the other perfections
May I attain Buddhahood for the sake of all sentient beings.

SANG GYE CHO DANG TSOG KYI CHOG NAM LA
JANG CHUB BAR DU DAG NI KYAB SU CHI
DAG GI JIN SOG GYI PAY SO NAM GYI
DRO LA PEN CHIR SANG GYAY DRUB BAR SHOG

Also, is the supplication included in the audio record? If it is, I must be missing it by mistake.

Lastly, once I have taken Refuge and sent my hair clipping to Rinpoche and he responds with the Refuge name, will I be informed which practices to undertake as preliminaries?

Please forgive my uninformed questions. I like to make sure I am doing things correctly.

Thank you.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Refuge from afar with Garchen Rinpoche

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Just follow the live stream that will be streamed and do what they do.

I do not think so. You will probably be give 37bodhisattva practices book and refuge card and maybe some prayer book, not sure. But you wont be told what to do next, or what to do.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Hi

I did the same thing and the Refuge Vow is not on the audio on the GI website.I think it is cut off by accident maybe.

So here is the Refuge Vow Ceremony: https://youtu.be/cs16FnIMLMI

You could possibly then take the Lung for Fivefold Mahamudra here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AxAjmxOtMQ

Then ask GI or local Drikung Kagyu centre for permission to proceed with that practice only if you wanted to obviously!

At the same time, you can request the text of the Ngondro Fivefold Mahamudra.

I don't know if there are alternative Ngondro practices that you may prefer within Drikung Kagyu. Obviously, you could choose any lineage you want.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Sorry missed out an important word: It is the Lung for the Ngondro for Fivefold Mahamudra
Aspiring.Monk

Post by Aspiring.Monk »

Empty Desire wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:40 pm I did the same thing and the Refuge Vow is not on the audio on the GI website.I think it is cut off by accident maybe.

So here is the Refuge Vow Ceremony: https://youtu.be/cs16FnIMLMI
Thank you so much for the YoutTube link. I listened to the audio on the GI site like 5 times thinking that I was not paying enough attention.
Empty Desire wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:40 pm You could possibly then take the Lung for Fivefold Mahamudra here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AxAjmxOtMQ

Then ask GI or local Drikung Kagyu centre for permission to proceed with that practice only if you wanted to obviously!

At the same time, you can request the text of the Ngondro Fivefold Mahamudra.

I don't know if there are alternative Ngondro practices that you may prefer within Drikung Kagyu. Obviously, you could choose any lineage you want.
Concerning the Five Fold Mahamudra, I thought that there may have been preliminaries that needed to be done before hand. Like 100,000 Prostrations etc.

I will be contacting GI after refuge to inquire about the Five Fold Mahamudra.

I have decided on the Drikung Lineage as I have watch several of Garchen Rinpoches videos and seen pictures of him and just seeing him, fills me with such happiness. He is truly an enlightened being.

Again, I want to thank you for the links and information.
KoolAid900

Post by KoolAid900 »

Rinpoche is touring the east and Midwest over the next couple of months (not sure where you live aspiring monk). It is really worth the effort to see him in person if it's possible especially if you want to pursue BuddhaDharma in the Drikung Kagyu and are drawn toward him. He really is like the perfection of love.... totally selfless and sincere.

I will be going to see him in Virginia in a few weeks and upstate NY in June. I think he will be in Ohio in May, not sure where else.
Aspiring.Monk

Post by Aspiring.Monk »

KoolAid900 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:59 pm Rinpoche is touring the east and Midwest over the next couple of months (not sure where you live aspiring monk). It is really worth the effort to see him in person if it's possible especially if you want to pursue BuddhaDharma in the Drikung Kagyu and are drawn toward him. He really is like the perfection of love.... totally selfless and sincere.

I will be going to see him in Virginia in a few weeks and upstate NY in June. I think he will be in Ohio in May, not sure where else.
I would love to attend his teachings in person. Currently, financial restraints prevent this, but hopefully in the near future it will be possible.

Return to “Kagyu”