Garchen Rinpoche Achi Drolma Empowerment

Lhasa

Re: Garchen Rinpoche Achi Drolma Empowerment

Post by Lhasa »

lelopa wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:25 pm is there any sadhana pdf?
Yes, look on this mornings chat box and yesterdays also for email address of the person who will send it to you.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Garchen Rinpoche gave teachings on a song of Milarepa yesterday. I'm looking forward to hear what he'll be teaching today. :popcorn:

Edit: teaching on Ganges Mahamudra 8-)
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Lhasa wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:58 pm
Yes, look on this mornings chat box and yesterdays also for email address of the person who will send it to you.
Thx,
did it.... found an email-adress... no answer...
Lost In Transmission
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

lelopa wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:53 am
Thx,
I think it is unlikely anyone is receiving anything, other than the people who were there in person.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Aryjna wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:55 am

Thx,
I think it is unlikely anyone is receiving anything, other than the people who were there in person.
Yesterday, someone in the chat was asking for the sadhana and they were there in person. It was also mentioned that the person who has the sadhana has been reciving a lot of emails and is gradually working to send responses. Anyway that's what I picked up from the chat yesterday.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

So far this is how the pith instructions teachings have went.
May 11th-Garab Dorje 3 words
May 12th-Song of Milarepa (Song of 6 essential points)
May 13- teaching on a verse of Ganges mahamudra, Dharmakaya phowa, virtues of honoring Mother beings, Milarepas song of 3 contents. Mahamudra teachings.

:twothumbsup:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Sennin wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:49 pm
Aryjna wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:55 am

Thx,
Yesterday, someone in the chat was asking for the sadhana and they were there in person. It was also mentioned that the person who has the sadhana has been reciving a lot of emails and is gradually working to send responses. Anyway that's what I picked up from the chat yesterday.
It's possible that it will arrive eventually I suppose. Let's see.
DannyDevitoFan

Post by DannyDevitoFan »

I think there might be some slight confusion. I am fairly sure that the particular sadhana that the person has is for Pema Lingpa's Guru Dragpo; Rinpoche's empowerment was for Nyang Ral Nyima Özer's Guru Dragpo. Maybe this is still ok. I don't know enough about the differences between the two to comment. Maybe someone who is familiar with the differences between the two can shed some light on the subject?
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

csmorg96 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:54 pm I think there might be some slight confusion. I am fairly sure that the particular sadhana that the person has is for Pema Lingpa's Guru Dragpo; Rinpoche's empowerment was for Nyang Ral Nyima Özer's Guru Dragpo. Maybe this is still ok. I don't know enough about the differences between the two to comment. Maybe someone who is familiar with the differences between the two can shed some light on the subject?
Garchen Rinpoche is usually very lenient/flexible when it comes to such details. If memory serves, he said during the empowerment that we could use the sadhana of peaceful Guru Rinpoche. In our lineage this would most certainly be the sadhana by Drikung Dharmakirti (the 1st Chungtsang Rinpoche, a.k.a. Kunkhyen Rigdzin Chödrak). His composition was based on the terma revealed by Pema Lingpa.

Based on that logic, i see no reason why one couldn't practice the Guru Dragpo sadhana from that same terma cycle. However I, too, am admittedly unaware of any differences there may be between that one and the sadhana based on the revelations of Nyang Ral, and await the response of someone more knowledgable. Certainly we should accumulate the mantra as given to us by Rinpoche, whatever the case is.

For those interested in the peaceful sadhana, Gar Drölma has made it available at the bottom of the page for the Spring 2018 Retreat. Please note, however, that it was scanned sideways. This means that you'll probably want to print it out rather than view it on a computer or mobile device. On my phone's PDF viewer it auto-rotates to the wrong view unless I tilt it at a weird angle, though as I write this it occurs to me that I could turn auto-rotate off...

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

The Sakyapas practice Nyang's Guru Drakpo, and I was fortunate to receive that transmission from KyabJe Dorje Chang Sakya Trizin some time ago, before watching the livestream here. TBRC has several versions, but I have the Tibetan of the Sakya version. I'm not familiar with Pema Lingpa's terma. NyangRal Ter actually has two forms--one is yabyum and one is not; Garchen Rinpoche (and HHST) gave the solitary one.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

There are more teachings at the moment
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Thank you for those details, Cone. I know precious little about Sakya, so it's good to know they also practice this deity.

Yab-yum deities are traditionally considered one figure, of course, but can you identify Guru Drakpo's consort? I wonder if we should start a trend of mentioning the yum by name. This could perhaps help to bring the enlightened feminine to the foreground and to dissolve the patriarchal trend that exists in the cultures that've transmitted and received the Vajrayana.

The male deities are always named, but the female ones rarely are when depicted in union. This certainly seems to me like a subtle act of denying recognition. Perhaps it's unintended, but I'm sure that if it were the other way around there would be talk about male figures and lack of agency. I digress...

Not sure if Garchen Rinpoche and Ayang Rinpoche got the practice from a Kagyu, Nyingma, or even Sakya source. Who knows? Maybe all three!

Amitabha Foundation has pics of both the solitary and yab-yum forms on their site. Can you confirm that these are from Nyang Ral Ter? As you can see, the yab-yum has four arms rather than two and the addition of khatvanga, sword, and wings. Apparently they have them up because they do a Gurdrak puja at the end of every year to dispel obstacles so that they don't carry over into the next.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

NyangRal Nyima Ozer was the first recognized Terton, I think. Later, Terdag Lingpa and Dharmashri collected a variety of sadhanas and wangs,including those of NyangRal, into a a collection called the Do Jo'i BumZang, which was actually an impetus for Kongtrul's Rinchen Terdzo. It's also a core of the Mindroling tradition to this day. Often, Lamas who are giving RT include parts of the Do Jo'i BumZang. So these empowerments are often passed on that way. They are also found in the Sakya's collection DrubTab KunDu, if I recall.

As far as I can recall, Guru Drakpo appears twice in Nyang's corpus: once without yum, and once with. The YabYum one is also two-armed, however. I don't recall the consort's name; but if you know something about yabyum yidam's nature, it's safe to say all the yums fulfill a similar symbolic function.

I am not sure where the second image comes from, but I'd guess it's a different terma lineage. Guru Drakpo is found in the Lama Gongdu cycle, though I don't think this is that one, either....GurDrak is pretty widespread, with a variety of iconographical forms. Also you have to distinguish between Guru Drakpo and Guru Drakphur....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Kagyu”