Visiting His Holiness the 17th Gyalwang Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje

kalden yungdrung

Visiting His Holiness the 17th Gyalwang Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek Kagyupas,

Have a question.

I recently met a Bhutanese girl of the Drukpa Kagyu Tradition, and her greatest wish is to visit His Holiness the 17th Gyalwang Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje.

I promised to help her as good as possible, to get an appointment with His Holiness.

So my question to you would be:

- How can one fix now in December 2018 or later an appointment with His Holiness the 17th Gyalwang Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje, who will be then residing at Rumtek Monastery ?

Thanks at beforehand
KY.
The best meditation is no meditation
philji

Re: Visiting His Holiness the 17th Gyalwang Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje

Post by philji »

Why do you think he will be residing at Rumtek. Currently in USA and a few engagements there and Canada i think later this year.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

His Holiness is living in New York State, and is mainly not appearing in public, though he will teaching and bestowing empowerments, and attending the North American Kagyu Monlam, this summer, in or near New York.

I don't know anything about him going to Rumtek; he's free to travel in Sikkim, at this time, with the exception of Rumtek. So, you'd have to ask the Indian gov't. about that!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
kalden yungdrung

conebeckham wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:24 pm His Holiness is living in New York State, and is mainly not appearing in public, though he will teaching and bestowing empowerments, and attending the North American Kagyu Monlam, this summer, in or near New York.

I don't know anything about him going to Rumtek; he's free to travel in Sikkim, at this time, with the exception of Rumtek. So, you'd have to ask the Indian gov't. about that!
Tashi delek CB,

The Bhutanese girl could tell me that he will be in Rumtek in december 2018.
Do not know anything about this all.

- So that means for her to travel to the States ?
- Can one make an appointment possible, in the States for this Bhutanese girl, maybe ?

When i may ask, why can His Holiness not visit Rumtek Monastery, which is the Head Monastery of Kagyu ?
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

We had a woman from Tokyo spend 3 weeks here trying to get an interview with HHK. That was the entire purpose of her trip. She failed.

But maybe Bhutanese have it easier.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
philji

Post by philji »

When i may ask, why can His Holiness not visit Rumtek Monastery, which is the Head Monastery of Kagyu ?
[/quote]

Why he cannot visit Rumtek ? .....its a long, long story..... perhaps the Indian govt could help with that one also.....
He has only recently been given permission to travel to Sikkim...withe exception of Rumtek and it seems that he has not agreed to a date yet.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

philji wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:02 pm
Kalden Yungdrung wrote: When i may ask, why can His Holiness not visit Rumtek Monastery, which is the Head Monastery of Kagyu ?
Why he cannot visit Rumtek ? .....its a long, long story..... perhaps the Indian govt could help with that one also.....
He has only recently been given permission to travel to Sikkim...withe exception of Rumtek and it seems that he has not agreed to a date yet.
Right....KY, if do not know why HHGK Orgyen TInley Dorje can't visit Rumtek, I'd advise doing some research. I'm frankly surprised anyone who's been associated with Tibetan Dharma in more than a glancing way for any period doesn't know the sad, complex, messy story, in at least it's main particulars.

I would love to be privy to the "Bhutanese Girl's" source of information, but I can tell you on pretty good authority that it's incorrect.

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
philji

Post by philji »

I know its controversial, but i do get the feeling he wants to stay in USA at least for the near future. What will take place in the long term is anyone’s guess.
kalden yungdrung

conebeckham wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:10 pm
Kalden Yungdrung wrote: When i may ask, why can His Holiness not visit Rumtek Monastery, which is the Head Monastery of Kagyu ?
Right....KY, if do not know why HHGK Orgyen TInley Dorje can't visit Rumtek, I'd advise doing some research. I'm frankly surprised anyone who's been associated with Tibetan Dharma in more than a glancing way for any period doesn't know the sad, complex, messy story, in at least it's main particulars.

I would love to be privy to the "Bhutanese Girl's" source of information, but I can tell you on pretty good authority that it's incorrect.
Well i really do not know and am total ignorant about the situation, so forgive me for not knowing the facts.

If it is so complicated to tell the reason why etc. then i do not want to know this all, its not my business i guess so.

Only where i am interested in is to help this Bhutanese girl who does not know like me nothing about that it is not possible for His Holiness to visit Rumtek anymore.

She and i were misunderstood about the actual situation, i realise now.

So, i am now better informed and will tell her it is impossible.
A ticket to the States is too expensive for her, or maybe she will pay the ticket who knows.

Am further not interested to go deeper into this story, and looking for the reason why etc.

Story finished

Thanks for the info :anjali:
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:30 pm
conebeckham wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Well i really do not know and am total ignorant about the situation, so forgive me for not knowing the facts.

If it is so complicated to tell the reason why etc. then i do not want to know this all, its not my business i guess so.

Only where i am interested in is to help this Bhutanese girl who does not know like me nothing about that it is not possible for His Holiness to visit Rumtek anymore.

She and i were misunderstood about the actual situation, i realise now.

So, i am now better informed and will tell her it is impossible.
A ticket to the States is too expensive for her, or maybe she will pay the ticket who knows.

Am further not interested to go deeper into this story, and looking for the reason why etc.

Story finished

Thanks for the info :anjali:
I am not sure it is impossible, and I personally am "hopeful," frankly. But the current situation, which you must know by know is in relation to the "controversy" regarding multiple claimants to the title of HHGK, involves not merely various Tibetan parties--the Labrangs, the Tibetan Gov't.-In-Exile, etc.-but also Indian Gov't. and China.....and other players as well.

For decades Rumtek has been off-limits to any "Karmapa." HHGK OTD has recently been granted permission to travel in Sikkim, just months ago. He still may not go to Rumtek, however. Security at Rumtek is somewhat tight--though less so than 14 years ago, say......

It is not clear when HHGK will travel outside the USA, as well. Some of his attendants have had "lapsed Visas" which they have had to renew, but HHGK is under medical treatment currently and I am uncertain regarding his Visa status. There are rumors of exile, or of asylum, or plenty of other rumors, which I cannnot address, and HHGK has made some public statements regarding these rumors and his current situation.

I hope that sufficiently clears up the issue and answers your questions. I trust none of this transgresses the bounds of DW's TOS regarding discussion of this issue.

Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Return to “Kagyu”