Trungpa and shamata

philji

Trungpa and shamata

Post by philji »

I heard recently that Chogyam Trungpa was the first teacher in the tibetan tradition to encourage group silent sitting.
Is this so?
Yeti

Re: Trungpa and shamata

Post by Yeti »

philji wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:21 pm I heard recently that Chogyam Trungpa was the first teacher in the tibetan tradition to encourage group silent sitting.
Is this so?
Trungpa says in his 6 part teaching on Jamgon Kongtrul of Shechen, that this was the first practice he was taught by his guru. There is this practice of shamatha vipasyana related to the Four Foundations of Mindfulness that's related to the path of Mahamudra and Dzogchen. But you will even find in the Tibetan tradition that even some khenpos say there is no such transmission in Tibetan Buddhism and it's just been incorporated from the Theravada. :twothumbsup:
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
Simon E.

Re: Trungpa and shamata

Post by Simon E. »

During my very first one -to -one with CTR I mentioned that I had just finished a course of vipassana taught by Thai monks..he suggested that I combine what I had learned, with Shin e practice by alternating the focus of the breath.
'Let me know how it goes' said he. :smile:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.

Return to “Kagyu”