Trungpa and shamata

philji

Trungpa and shamata

Post by philji » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:21 pm

I heard recently that Chogyam Trungpa was the first teacher in the tibetan tradition to encourage group silent sitting.
Is this so?

Yeti

Re: Trungpa and shamata

Post by Yeti » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:37 am

philji wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:21 pm
I heard recently that Chogyam Trungpa was the first teacher in the tibetan tradition to encourage group silent sitting.
Is this so?
Trungpa says in his 6 part teaching on Jamgon Kongtrul of Shechen, that this was the first practice he was taught by his guru. There is this practice of shamatha vipasyana related to the Four Foundations of Mindfulness that's related to the path of Mahamudra and Dzogchen. But you will even find in the Tibetan tradition that even some khenpos say there is no such transmission in Tibetan Buddhism and it's just been incorporated from the Theravada. :twothumbsup:
"When a Dzogchen Yogi hears Shakyamuni Buddha turning the Wheel of the Dharma of the Four Noble Truths he hears Samathabhadra proclaiming the most profound Dzogpachenpo." - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche

Simon E.

Re: Trungpa and shamata

Post by Simon E. » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:14 pm

During my very first one -to -one with CTR I mentioned that I had just finished a course of vipassana taught by Thai monks..he suggested that I combine what I had learned, with Shin e practice by alternating the focus of the breath.
'Let me know how it goes' said he. :smile:
Back to fishin' folks... :namaste:

Return to “Kagyu”