Short Sukhavati Aspiration

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Short Sukhavati Aspiration

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hello,

is there some book or video or page with teachings about/connected to the Short Sukhavati Aspiration by Mipham? I kinda grew quite interested in the Sukhavati pureland and would like to understand the mechanics :D and how reciting the prayer can one lead there etc.. I posted this in the Kagyu section as I would be most grateful for Drikung sources but any source is fine really. Thank you!
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Palzang Jangchub

Re: Short Sukhavati Aspiration

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Up until now, as far as I knew, the short Dechen Mönlam we recite in Drikung lineage was excerpted from the longer and much more detailed one composed by the 1st Karma Chagme Rinpoche, Raga Asye. When there is more time set aside to dedicate our roots of virtue, the longer Chagme prayer is often used.

This is definitely the case with regards to events presided over by Garchen Rinpoche, as I've been present both physically and via webcast several times where he asks that we dedicate the merit through the longer prayer (which, through his kindness, exists as its own small red booklet, published by Garchen Institut e.V. in Germany if I'm not mistaken).

That lengthier version is based upon and reads very much like a sutra, and as such Chagme Rinpoche himself states in the end of text that it needs no reading transmission to be recited.

Having looked at Mipham's short prayer here on Lotsawa House, it appears to be different (though certainly similar) to the short De Mön we recite. Ours begins with "EMAHO ngö tsar sangye gek," for instance, and ends with the sutric mantra TADYATHA PENTSA DRIYA AWA BODHANAYE SVAHA, both of which are absent in Mipham's.

Upon some investigation, it appears that I was close in my initial guess but slightly missed the mark. According to this source it is a sort of terma that was hidden by Nagarjuna and rediscovered by Karma Chagme's nephew, student, and teacher, Namchö Mingyur Dorje. It would obviously make sense that this would be used in place of the long prayer by Karma Chagme with there being such a strong connection between the two figures.

Mipham Rinpoche did, however, write a brief prayer to Jigten Sumgön. This is not very well known, but is quite a lovely composition. Garchen Institute published an English-only version on their site here a few years back.

All that said, I will dig through my resources and see if I can find any specific teachings or commentaries on the Dechen Mönlam, both long and short versions.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Palzang Jangchub wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:42 am Up until now, as far as I knew, the short Dechen Mönlam we recite in Drikung lineage was excerpted from the longer and much more detailed one composed by the 1st Karma Chagme Rinpoche, Raga Asye. When there is more time set aside to dedicate our roots of virtue, the longer Chagme prayer is often used.

This is definitely the case with regards to events presided over by Garchen Rinpoche, as I've been present both physically and via webcast several times where he asks that we dedicate the merit through the longer prayer (which, through his kindness, exists as its own small red booklet, published by Garchen Institut e.V. in Germany if I'm not mistaken).

That lengthier version is based upon and reads very much like a sutra, and as such Chagme Rinpoche himself states in the end of text that it needs no reading transmission to be recited.

Having looked at Mipham's short prayer here on Lotsawa House, it appears to be different (though certainly similar) to the short De Mön we recite. Ours begins with "EMAHO ngö tsar sangye gek," for instance, and ends with the sutric mantra TADYATHA PENTSA DRIYA AWA BODHANAYE SVAHA, both of which are absent in Mipham's.

Upon some investigation, it appears that I was close in my initial guess but slightly missed the mark. According to this source it is a sort of terma that was hidden by Nagarjuna and rediscovered by Karma Chagme's nephew, student, and teacher, Namchö Mingyur Dorje. It would obviously make sense that this would be used in place of the long prayer by Karma Chagme with there being such a strong connection between the two figures.

Mipham Rinpoche did, however, write a brief prayer to Jigten Sumgön. This is not very well known, but is quite a lovely composition. Garchen Institute published an English-only version on their site here a few years back.

All that said, I will dig through my resources and see if I can find any specific teachings or commentaries on the Dechen Mönlam, both long and short versions.
Thank you Palzang! I am so sorry I meant Namchö Mingyur Dorje. :D Stupid mistake cause by Miphams recent anniversary. Thank you very much for so much information.

So again, this time correct, is there some teachings/commentary to Dewachen Aspiration by NAMCHÖ MINGYUR DORJE :D.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
pael

Post by pael »

Does short version has confession part? Where? Long version has best confession prayer I know.
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Miroku wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:34 am Thank you Palzang! I am so sorry I meant Namchö Mingyur Dorje. :D Stupid mistake cause by Miphams recent anniversary. Thank you very much for so much information.

So again, this time correct, is there some teachings/commentary to Dewachen Aspiration by NAMCHÖ MINGYUR DORJE :D.
No worries, bro. Your confusion helped bring about some greater clarity for me, which is certainly appreciated.

Here you'll find Karma Chagme's auto-commentary on the long Dechen Mönlam. I just came across it a few days ago and am looking forward to reading it myself.

Lhasey Lotsawa, the translation group under the guidance of Tsikey Chokling Rinpoche and Phakchok Rinpoche, has made available Karma Chagme's commentary on what appears to be many aspects of the entire Dechen cycle in the Namchö terma here. He includes the visualisation for the short De Mön and how to use the prayer to practice phowa for others, along with many other instructions.

Are these helpful?

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Palzang Jangchub wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:15 pm
Miroku wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:34 am Thank you Palzang! I am so sorry I meant Namchö Mingyur Dorje. :D Stupid mistake cause by Miphams recent anniversary. Thank you very much for so much information.

No worries, bro. Your confusion helped bring about some greater clarity for me, which is certainly appreciated.

Here you'll find Karma Chagme's auto-commentary on the long Dechen Mönlam. I just came across it a few days ago and am looking forward to reading it myself.

Lhasey Lotsawa, the translation group under the guidance of Tsikey Chokling Rinpoche and Phakchok Rinpoche, has made available Karma Chagme's commentary on what appears to be many aspects of the entire Dechen cycle in the Namchö terma here. He includes the visualisation for the short De Mön and how to use the prayer to practice phowa for others, along with many other instructions.

Are these helpful?
Thank you very much! :) These are great and very helpful.

Only in the first URL there is some mistake so here it is.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra

Return to “Kagyu”