Armour of Patience

ndscott

Armour of Patience

Post by ndscott »

Back in 1992 or 93 I took Boddhisattva Vows with a Kagyu Rinpoche at the Dharmadhatu in Nelson, BC, Canada. The teacher only visited for a few days, and I'm sorry to say that I can't remember his name.
During that time he presided over the vows and gave me the name that translates into English as "Armour of Patience." I wasn't given a written version of the Tibetan name and now can't remember it.
Can anyone help me with that?
(Incidently Trungpa Rinpoche had given me the name Limitless Patience which, if I remember correctly translates as Sopa Thaye(?) . Apparently patience is my theme!)
Palzang Jangchub

Re: Armour of Patience

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Zöpa or Söpa (bzod pa) is certainly "patience," but there are a few words for "armor." See if any of these ring a bell:

Gotrab (go khrab)
Gocha (go cha)

My guess would be either Zöpay Gocha (bzod pa'i go cha), "Armor of Patience," or Gochay Zöpa (go cha'i bzod pa), "Armor-like Patience." I know an Inji monk in the Palyul lineage with the name Daway Gocha (zla ba'i go cha), "Armor of the Moon."

There is also practice called Vajra Armor which in Tibetan is Benza Gotrab (badz+ra go khrab). So it just depends.

If none of those sounds right i can go thru the less common words for armor...

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
ndscott

Post by ndscott »

Thanks Palzang Jangchub!
I did a deep dive into my piles of documents this morning and actually found the calligraphy I was given at the time. It was transliterated as Zöpai Gocha, just as you suggested.
Patience.jpg
Patience.jpg (259.56 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
If my attempt at attaching the photo has worked, can you or anyone read the name of the Rinpoche? There is a seal but it is a bit broken up.
Nick
namoh

Post by namoh »

That’s from Thrangu Rinpoche if I’m not mistaken.
ndscott

Post by ndscott »

Thank you for that!

Return to “Kagyu”