Three Wrathful Protectors

Tlalok

Three Wrathful Protectors

Post by Tlalok »

I attended this empowerment graciously offered by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche during his visit to Toronto.

He was going to impart some history and context for the empowerment, but at the audience's insistence instead spoke about bodhicitta and meditation (which I am grateful for). I was wondering if anyone had any information about the provenance of the lineage of this empowerment?
greenvajrapani

Re: Three Wrathful Protectors

Post by greenvajrapani »

Which "Three Wrathful Protectors" are you speaking about?

There are a number of groups of "Three Wrathful Protectors".

Also I found what you stated about Rinpoche going off topic an all to common problem.

I believe this happens when you allow people with little to no back ground to attended these special empowerments.

In most cases anyone can attend as long as they have payed the fee.

I think its the Rinpoche's fault for allowing this to happen and not staying on the topic of the "Three Wrathful Protectors".

To sit there and have someone ask a question about the "Four Noble Truths" or "How to Meditate" destroys the whole purpose of the empowerment.
Josef

Post by Josef »

greenvajrapani wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:32 am Which "Three Wrathful Protectors" are you speaking about?

There are a number of groups of "Three Wrathful Protectors".

Also I found what you stated about Rinpoche going off topic an all to common problem.

I believe this happens when you allow people with little to no back ground to attended these special empowerments.

In most cases anyone can attend as long as they have payed the fee.

I think its the Rinpoche's fault for allowing this to happen and not staying on the topic of the "Three Wrathful Protectors".

To sit there and have someone ask a question about the "Four Noble Truths" or "How to Meditate" destroys the whole purpose of the empowerment.
The topic of all protectors of dharma is bodhicitta.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
practitioner

Post by practitioner »

He gave the empowerment for “Ta Chag Khyung Sum“ Hayagriva, Varjapani, and Garuda. Maybe others can comment on the history of this grouping.

As far as going off topic, i would hardly consider this sort of thing a problem. Receiving meditation instructions from Rinpoche is a very wonderful thing and should be celebrated.
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
greenvajrapani

Post by greenvajrapani »

What I got from the original post was Tlalok was expecting from Rinpoche was that "He was going to impart some history and context for the empowerment".

I may have got it wrong but I thought that Rinpoche went off topic and did not formally teach and give commentary on these "Three Wrathful Protectors".

This was what Tlalok's post was about to wit he was seeking what was missing from the post empowerment discussion "I was wondering if anyone had any information.....".
Tlalok wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:44 pm I attended this empowerment graciously offered by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche during his visit to Toronto.

He was going to impart some history and context for the empowerment, but at the audience's insistence instead spoke about bodhicitta and meditation (which I am grateful for). I was wondering if anyone had any information about the provenance of the lineage of this empowerment?
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

practitioner wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:38 am He gave the empowerment for “Ta Chag Khyung Sum“ Hayagriva, Varjapani, and Garuda. Maybe others can comment on the history of this grouping.

As far as going off topic, i would hardly consider this sort of thing a problem. Receiving meditation instructions from Rinpoche is a very wonderful thing and should be celebrated.
Despite the title, this is a Yidam practice.
Ta - Tamdrin (Hayagriva)
Chag - Vajrapani
Khyung - Garuda

It is also known as Nyenpo Lha Sum and is sometimes known as the Three Antidote Deities or the Three Wrathful Ones. Lama Dawa used to recommend it for Gyalpo problems, for example.
It is a combination of great healing power.

I was told it is quite an ancient practice. The conversation in the previous thread on DW is probably still available via the 'search' function. :)

EDIT
Here it is:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=8851&p=117288&hili ... um#p117288

Pema Tsultrim:
''I don't know when the combo-yidams were first mentioned. It's an interesting question. I have an index of the Rinchen Terdzod and Pema Ledrel Tsal (who was born as early as 1231, the immediate reincarnation of Princess Pemasel and predecessor to Longchenpa and Pema Lingpa) revealed a Nyenpo Lha Sum terma. If that's the earliest terma version, we could say at that time, or we could say with Guru Rinpoche, or we could say earlier if there is mention of them in original tantras found in the Nyingma Gyud Bum or Nyingma Kama. But really they originate with Samantrabhadra Yab Yum so it's moot!''
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Tlalok

Post by Tlalok »

practitioner wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:38 am He gave the empowerment for “Ta Chag Khyung Sum“ Hayagriva, Varjapani, and Garuda. Maybe others can comment on the history of this grouping.

Absolutely. I was in no way disappointed. YMR's meditation instructions were profound, and bodhichitta is the essence of all practices.
Mantrik wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:57 am viewtopic.php?f=49&t=8851&p=117288&hili ... um#p117288
Thank you for this Mantrik, I did not know this question had been asked before.

Return to “Kagyu”