Chakrasamvara Root Tantra

Konchog Thogme Jampa

Chakrasamvara Root Tantra

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

I received the Chakrasamvara Empowerment this Spring from Garchen Rinpoche including the Mantra Transmission. Is it then permissable to read the Chakrasamvara Root Tantra I would like to purchase and read to deepen connection? Does it explicitly require further transmission/permissions?
haha

Re: Chakrasamvara Root Tantra

Post by haha »

Empty Desire wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:15 am I received the Chakrasamvara Empowerment this Spring from Garchen Rinpoche including the Mantra Transmission. Is it then permissable to read the Chakrasamvara Root Tantra I would like to purchase and read to deepen connection? Does it explicitly require further transmission/permissions?

Yes, you can read. Even before receiving, you can read it for academic purpose but you can’t practice it. If you have received full empowerment or consecration in the AnuttaraYoga Deity, you can read the commentaries on that topic; there are few available in English. That will clarify many points and will improve your practice.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

So I can read it and read the commentaries on it. But without specific transmission it is not permissable to practice this actual Tantra?

Really my intention is just to broaden understanding of the Deity and deepen the connection.

Thank-you for taking the time to answer!!
haha

Post by haha »

For the case of tantra, you can read for academic purpose. For commentary, it depends on the commentators wish. They provide various provision who can read such commentary. If you have received full empowerment, then you may have chances to read various commentaries but that depends.

It is not possible to practice without the transmission. If one tries to do, it may not work. There are many elements one will not know without instruction. It takes quite a time to understand many aspects.
But definitely, you will get connection with that tantra and you will get opportunity to receive full empowerment in future.

For one case, I received the empowerment of particular deity but not the commentary. Every time when I read the sadhana, there is a sign of blessing. It is not because of my practice but because of blessing of unbroken and pure lineage. So receiving the empowerment will quicken your progress.

You also ask other people, too, as it is only my opinion or understanding.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Great explanation!
haha

Post by haha »

If you have time, you listen to H. H. Sakya Trichen interview. It was posted in another thread; it may be more authoritative.

https://learn.wisdompubs.org/podcast/h-h-sakya-trichen/

especially at 31 minutes.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

I had a little listen!!

I enjoyed hearing about how the secret teachings were given and practiced. In secret/remote locations at night.

Lama Vajranatha also said that HYT is best practiced at night.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

haha wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:36 am Yes, you can read. Even before receiving, you can read it for academic purpose but you can’t practice it.
This is wrong.

Nowhere in Buddhadharma is it explained that you can read for "academic purposes". The thing is, academics don't give a damn about what Buddhadharma says, because they use the excuse that they are academics, therefore they read, and do whatever they feel like in this context.

But if you've not received a relevant empowerment and transmission, it's a different story. Then you should wait until you do get the relevant empowerment and transmission.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Norwegian wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:40 pm
haha wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:36 am Yes, you can read. Even before receiving, you can read it for academic purpose but you can’t practice it.
This is wrong.

Nowhere in Buddhadharma is it explained that you can read for "academic purposes". The thing is, academics don't give a damn about what Buddhadharma says, because they use the excuse that they are academics, therefore they read, and do whatever they feel like in this context.

But if you've not received a relevant empowerment and transmission, it's a different story. Then you should wait until you do get the relevant empowerment and transmission.
This is not saying that the OP has permission necessarily, it is merely recognition of that fact that yes one can read it if one wants.

M
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:13 pm
This is wrong.

This is not saying that the OP has permission necessarily, it is merely recognition of that fact that yes one can read it if one wants.

M
Sure.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Have you received the lung from Garchen Rinpoche, for "A Guru Yoga that Brings the Dharmakaya onto the Path"? It is the first prayer in the blue Drikung Kagyu Prayer Book. If you have received it, you can use that prayer, it is a self-empowerment, and then read any text you have not received lung for. Garchen R. specifically stated this.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

No I haven't but would obviously like to, maybe he will give it again within the upcoming European Tour perhaps?

Is there a scope that it is defined to like only within Drikung Kagyu?
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Empty Desire wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:02 pm No I haven't but would obviously like to, maybe he will give it again within the upcoming European Tour perhaps?

Is there a scope that it is defined to like only within Drikung Kagyu?
You can receive the transmission/lung from a recording. Maybe someone here can tell you where the video of it is. He did not place any limits on the texts one could use.
haha

Post by haha »

This is wrong.

Traditionally, what you have said might be correct.
When these texts were compose, literacy rate was very low. Mostly elite groups could read and were able to access such teachings in most cases. Now day many people are literate and can read. Not only that, these text are easily available in libraries or in book stores. While reading, some may understand, some may not understand such cryptic texts. This not my point here.

@Empty Desire
I checked Garchen Buddhist Institute youtube channel, recent teaching on Cakrasamvara is still available. You take your time and listen all available teachings. If you have strong desire to follow that teaching, then you receive next time when Garchen Rinpoche gives empowerment.
:anjali:
Konchog Thogme Jampa

@haha Thanks!!

Anyone coming to this thread might find the below informative as a point of research, details meanings and history.

https://studybuddhism.com/en/advanced-s ... a-practice
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Locking 4 years later just to make sure it's not accidentally bumped/necroed
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?

Return to “Kagyu”