Milarepa namthar?

kausalya

Milarepa namthar?

Post by kausalya »

If I could borrow your expertise, I wonder if you'll recommend which spiritual biography/biographies of Milarepa are considered the most accessible to practitioners?
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)
Ogaf

Re: Milarepa namthar?

Post by Ogaf »

Hello!

My suggestion would be to read 'The Life of Milarepa' by Tsangnyön Heruka. Then the 100,000 songs and finally 'The Biographies of Rechungpa: The Evolution of a Tibetan Hagiography' by Peter Alan Roberts in order to have a bit of perspective on Milarepa and namthar in general. I hope that helps.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

What Ogaf said, plus:
For the Songs, the new translation by Christopher Stagg (pub. Shambhala) is a marked advance on earlier versions - and reads nicely too. For the "Life", the Lobsang P Lhalungpa is the best one I know, although there is one out translated by Andrew Quintman which might be better (or might not). I haven't read it. Anyone here with experience of it?

Garma C C Chang did a good job in his day, but his versions have really been superseded now. As for the Evans-Wentz versions, I'm afraid it's now a case of "don't waste your money".
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

as moving as it may be, Tsang Nyon Heruka's biography is mostly a fiction.

i'd suggest The Biographies of Rechungpa: The Evolution of a Tibetan Hagiography by Peter Alan Roberts. it's about Rechungpa obviously, but there are many parts where you can read Milarepa's accounts as well, including earliest biography by Gambopa's direct disciple written down from the words of his master.
stay open, spread love
kausalya

Post by kausalya »

yagmort wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:25 am as moving as it may be, Tsang Nyon Heruka's biography is mostly a fiction.
Is it worth asking which aspects might be accurate?

It's an interesting question, I think... in a way, everything is fictional. What's not fictional is what we receive in our mind when we interact positively with what arises. No? :tongue:

Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm a fish out of water.
(Shantideva)
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

kausalya wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:03 pm
yagmort wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:25 am as moving as it may be, Tsang Nyon Heruka's biography is mostly a fiction.
. What's not fictional is what we receive in our mind when we interact positively with what arises. No? :tongue:

What teacher or scripture did you learn this from?
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

kausalya wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:03 pm Is it worth asking which aspects might be accurate?
There is no good reason to put much store, in terms of historical accuracy, by much of what gives the namthar under discussion its drama. Milarepa's initial problems and the harsh treatment from Marpa only seem to have appeared in the stories *much* later.

But if you are really interested in that, you really should try to get hold of Peter Alan Roberts' work. Amongst other things, it's an example of how a proper Buddhist can practice academic rigor.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
kausalya

Post by kausalya »

amanitamusc wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:41 am
. What's not fictional is what we receive in our mind when we interact positively with what arises. No? :tongue:

No one. It just makes sense. What arises is not the issue. What we do with it—what it becomes when we transform it by applying a dharmic remedy, or using it to inspire feelings of devotion, is what leaves imprints on the mind.
(Shantideva)
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

kausalya wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:44 am
amanitamusc wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:41 am

No one. It just makes sense. What arises is not the issue. What we do with it—what it becomes when we transform it by applying a dharmic remedy, or using it to inspire feelings of devotion, is what leaves imprints on the mind.
Who did you learn this from? TB is based on lineage, if you don't have that connection then you have no blessing.
You called your Lama a nobody this seems strange. You come out with all this pithy advice but refuse to say who your
Lama is.

Return to “Kagyu”