Kagyu Samye Ling

Aryjna

Kagyu Samye Ling

Post by Aryjna »

Kagyu Samye Ling is the only Vajrayana monastery in the UK (as far as I know), and a very important dharma centre. But even though I look at their calendar from time to time, there never seems to be anyone giving actual teachings or empowerments there, apart from courses on mindfulness, yoga, and things like that. This seems strange, as there are other much smaller places which often host teachings and empowerments. There are also lamas like Tsoknyi Rinpoche for example, visiting European monasteries (the rigpa monastery in France), but I haven't seen something like that happening in Samye Ling. Perhaps I have just not noticed, but I am curious about this. If this is the case, are such teachings given privately only to the monks and nuns of Samye Ling? Or if not, how do they receive teachings for their practice? It would be useful if someone who is familiar with Samye Ling has some information on this.
Stewart

Re: Kagyu Samye Ling

Post by Stewart »

Hi,

Up until his passing in 2013, Akong Rinpoche, the co-founder of Samye Ling, gave empowerments several times a year, usually for the practises done regularly at Samye Ling; Namcho Amitabha and Sangye Menla, Konchok Chidu, Green Tara (Zabtik Drolma) and tge Chenrezig Terma of Thangtong Gyalpo...and a few others from time to time.

Since then there has been a state of transition where Khenpo Lhabu (Drupon Rinpoche) has taken the responsibility for Samye Ling and its way forward, he visits every year and gives extensive teachings, but he is very strict and traditional in his approach, which is a good thing, but means the teaching schedule is very intense and inflexible.

Akong Rinpoche and Lama Yeshe Rinpoche's nephew, and Drupon Rinpoche's student, Lama Katen, is the "abbot in waiting" ans has recently began to teach courses publicly. There are also many senior students of Lama Yeshe R and Akong R who have completed several 3 year retreats, including 3 female Lama's handpicked by Akong R to run the main Samye Ling satellite centres world-wide and teach at Samye Ling. Unlike other centres, Samye Ling is very strict about retreatants using the title "Lama'.

Hope this helps
s.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Stewart wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:14 pm Hi,

Up until his passing in 2013, Akong Rinpoche, the co-founder of Samye Ling, gave empowerments several times a year, usually for the practises done regularly at Samye Ling; Namcho Amitabha and Sangye Menla, Konchok Chidu, Green Tara (Zabtik Drolma) and tge Chenrezig Terma of Thangtong Gyalpo...and a few others from time to time.

Since then there has been a state of transition where Khenpo Lhabu (Drupon Rinpoche) has taken the responsibility for Samye Ling and its way forward, he visits every year and gives extensive teachings, but he is very strict and traditional in his approach, which is a good thing, but means the teaching schedule is very intense and inflexible.

Akong Rinpoche and Lama Yeshe Rinpoche's nephew, and Drupon Rinpoche's student, Lama Katen, is the "abbot in waiting" ans has recently began to teach courses publicly. There are also many senior students of Lama Yeshe R and Akong R who have completed several 3 year retreats, including 3 female Lama's handpicked by Akong R to run the main Samye Ling satellite centres world-wide and teach at Samye Ling. Unlike other centres, Samye Ling is very strict about retreatants using the title "Lama'.

Hope this helps
Thanks, there are 2-3 events with Drupon Rinpoche scheduled http://www.samyeling.org/courses/buddhi ... t-Oct-2018

I am mostly curious about the monks and nuns there, and where they get the transmissions and instructions necessary to do the three year retreats and their regular practice. Is the monastery more or less self-sufficient in this regard?
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Aryjna wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:36 pm
Thanks, there are 2-3 events with Drupon Rinpoche scheduled http://www.samyeling.org/courses/buddhi ... t-Oct-2018

I am mostly curious about the monks and nuns there, and where they get the transmissions and instructions necessary to do the three year retreats and their regular practice. Is the monastery more or less self-sufficient in this regard?
The transmissions and instructions (empowerments, textual transmissions etc) are currently provided by Drupon Rinpoche, I believe. Practice instruction is also provided by the Samye Ling lamas to retreatants. Drupon Rinpoche is not based at Samye Ling but visits the monastery and the long-term retreats on a regular basis.
This is not the wrong life.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Knotty Veneer wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:59 pm
Aryjna wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:36 pm

The transmissions and instructions (empowerments, textual transmissions etc) are currently provided by Drupon Rinpoche, I believe. Practice instruction is also provided by the Samye Ling lamas to retreatants. Drupon Rinpoche is not based at Samye Ling but visits the monastery and the long-term retreats on a regular basis.
Thanks.

Return to “Kagyu”