Lama Jampa Thaye

Simon E.

Re: Lama Jampa Thaye

Post by Simon E. »

Aye.

What he apparently does not endorse (I hear from a long standing student of his) is collecting wangs from a variety of teachers across different schools.
And seeing the muddle and lack of focus that results from that practice it's hard to say he is wrong.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:09 am Aye.

What he apparently does not endorse (I hear from a long standing student of his) is collecting wangs from a variety of teachers across different schools.
And seeing the muddle and lack of focus that results from that practice it's hard to say he is wrong.
Not a fan of the Rime movement? I know Tsongkhapafan would agree.
Gatinho

Post by Gatinho »

amanitamusc wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:17 am

I think the Rime movement is about realised masters sharing lineage teachings and realising their consistency/unity - not unrealised westerners window shopping.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Gatinho wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:33 pm

I think the Rime movement is about realised masters sharing lineage teachings and realising their consistency/unity - not unrealised westerners window shopping.
Oh, well i must revisit what CHNNR says about using whatever practice that
works for you to stay in your True Nature.
Sectarianism is a limitation.
By the way you can window shop with practices right within your own sect.
You know the saying holds true imitate your Lama.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I think perhaps we need to think about motivation and application here.

If I understand correctly the position held by Lama Jampa it is not about sectarianism per se. ( but he is not my teacher) it's about collecting wangs in a 'hobbyist' fashion without the practical possibility of doing them justice.
The impulse to add another notch to the bedpost because Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend.
I don't think any of the Rime masters were advocating that, and in any case that would not have been geographically or practicable in pre-Invasion Tibet.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Lama Jampa is not saying that Sakya or Kagyu are superior to other schools. He is talking about focus rather than scatter shot.

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Lama Jampa is not saying that Sakya or Kagyu are superior to other schools. He is talking about focus rather than scatter shot.
Your initial post implies that it is more easily done within one lineage.
This last post clarifies your intent. :cheers:
Last edited by amanitamusc on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

:cheers:

I think it's about what is practicable. Life is short. Sadhanas are many. The grass is always greener.. :smile:

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:13 pm :cheers:

I think it's about what is practicable. Life is short. Sadhanas are many. The grass is always greener.. :smile:
Sometimes that grass is greener.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

But we are not talking about a dysfunctional sangha like Shambala or the later days of Trungpa's debacle. It is pretty universally held that Dechen (whether or not it is a fit for any given individual and for several reasons it may not be) is not dysfunctional in that sense.

dechenpa

Post by dechenpa »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:58 pm I think perhaps we need to think about motivation and application here.

If I understand correctly the position held by Lama Jampa it is not about sectarianism per se. ( but he is not my teacher) it's about collecting wangs in a 'hobbyist' fashion without the practical possibility of doing them justice.
The impulse to add another notch to the bedpost because Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend.
I don't think any of the Rime masters were advocating that, and in any case that would not have been geographically or practicable in pre-Invasion Tibet.
This is very well put. I have been a student of Lama Jampa Thaye for over 20 years. Everyone is free to follow whatever path they choose, and he will support you wherever he can, no matter whether you prefer Dechen groups or some other. He also visits many non-Dechen groups if they ask him to. But if people collect many initiations and teachings and never go on to reflect or meditate on any of them in any depth, they are limiting themselves and may not even realize it. You can have many teachers but sooner or later you should spend at least some time developing some depth of understanding with some particular teachings you have received.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

amanitamusc wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:28 pm Sometimes that grass is greener.
Just because it's on the other side of the hill doesn't mean that the grass isn't greener. :smile:
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

visitor_001 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:36 pm I am nearing the completion of my second foundational practice, Vajrasattva Purification. I need to receive the lung and instructions for Mandala Offerings and have chosen to receive these from Lama Jampa Thaye (who I understand carries the transmission of the Karma Kagyu).

My preliminary investigations all seem to indicate Lama Jampa Thaye is a well respected and excellent Lama.

Could anyone with direct experience of Lama Jampa Thaye share their experiences of him?

Many thanks.
Here is the OP. Hopefully, 'visitor' has been enabled to make a decision.

Gatinho

Post by Gatinho »

Lingpupa wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:59 am
amanitamusc wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:28 pm Sometimes that grass is greener.
Just because it's on the other side of the hill doesn't mean that the grass isn't greener. :smile:
Speaking as someone who is already over the hill - I'm struggling to find any grass :)
Gatinho

Post by Gatinho »

Simon E. wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:26 am
visitor_001 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:36 pm I am nearing the completion of my second foundational practice, Vajrasattva Purification. I need to receive the lung and instructions for Mandala Offerings and have chosen to receive these from Lama Jampa Thaye (who I understand carries the transmission of the Karma Kagyu).

My preliminary investigations all seem to indicate Lama Jampa Thaye is a well respected and excellent Lama.

Could anyone with direct experience of Lama Jampa Thaye share their experiences of him?

Many thanks.
Here is the OP. Hopefully, 'visitor' has been enabled to make a decision.
If he is still around he might find it helpful to read Lama Jampa Thaye's own account of the teachings he has received:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/River-Memory-L ... ampa+thaye
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

:good:

visitor_001

Post by visitor_001 »

I hadn't checked in for a while and I see there are lots of interesting posts. Thank you to everyone who has offered their advice.

I had my meeting with Lama Jampa Thaye and I have to admit to being impressed by him. Lama Jampa was very generous with his time and took, what seemed to me anyway, a genuine interest in my motivation for practicing the dharma. He was also very approachable, which is something I hadn't been used to in the past.

I hope to attend more of his teachings and he told me to contact him if I had any questions. Overall, I have to say it was a very positive experience and that the sangha was also very welcoming. I'm a little bruised from my past experiences with a Kagyu group and as such will scrutinise any future teachers carefully before committing to another. However, I have only positive things to report about Lama Jampa and the Dechen sangha.

I chose to receive the lung from Lama Jampa as he carries the transmission of the Karma Kagyu and also because I have received initiations from HH Karmapa Thaye Dorje and HH Shamarpa Rinpoche, which should give you some hint as to which of the Karmapas Lama Jampa Thaye is sympathetic to.

I don't want to enter into any discussions about the Karmapa controversy. I think if the Lama's motivation is pure and the teachings are authentic then I hope both Karmapas can be of great benefit.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

visitor_001 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:38 pm I hadn't checked in for a while and I see there are lots of interesting posts. Thank you to everyone who has offered their advice.

I had my meeting with Lama Jampa Thaye and I have to admit to being impressed by him. Lama Jampa was very generous with his time and took, what seemed to me anyway, a genuine interest in my motivation for practicing the dharma. He was also very approachable, which is something I hadn't been used to in the past.

I hope to attend more of his teachings and he told me to contact him if I had any questions. Overall, I have to say it was a very positive experience and that the sangha was also very welcoming. I'm a little bruised from my past experiences with a Kagyu group and as such will scrutinise any future teachers carefully before committing to another. However, I have only positive things to report about Lama Jampa and the Dechen sangha.

I chose to receive the lung from Lama Jampa as he carries the transmission of the Karma Kagyu and also because I have received initiations from HH Karmapa Thaye Dorje and HH Shamarpa Rinpoche, which should give you some hint as to which of the Karmapas Lama Jampa Thaye is sympathetic to.

I don't want to enter into any discussions about the Karmapa controversy. I think if the Lama's motivation is pure and the teachings are authentic then I hope both Karmapas can be of great benefit.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Excellent. So pleased. :) :namaste:
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

Lama Jampa Thaye has said to me that he thinks it is not so great when westerners receive many different "pieces" of different traditions without ever committing to an actual path. It is not that he would discourage his students from consulting other teachers or something like that but that he actually wants his students to follow a path to enlightenment and not just go shopping for practices to do. That's what I understood anyway.

Return to “Kagyu”