Situation of Kalu Rinpoche

JangchubLhamo927

Re: Situation of Kalu Rinpoche

Post by JangchubLhamo927 »

In 2010 or 2011 (sometime before the release of the YouTube video) Kalu returned to Mirik at the fervent request of Khenpo Rinpoche. He and his attendant Lamas stayed at Jageet Hotel for one night--not the Monastery. I don't know anything about his meeting with Khenpo Rinpoche--but I do know (I was living in the Bokar Monastery guesthouse at the time on the second floor) --anyway I do know from three accounts that before Kalu left the Monastery to return to his hotel that he made some offering to the KuDung of Bokar Rinpoche. Khenpo Rinpoche told the Mirik Lamas to pick up the offerings and return them to Kalu. So it is my impression that it is not just Sonada that has had enough...
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

He just came here for a weekend. Some pretty conservative western monks and nuns, who previously had reservations about him, were favorably impressed. These were all students of the old Kalu R.

He eschews a lot of pomp and circumstance. He came at an unannounced time by cab, thus avoiding a grandiose welcoming ceremony. When he started his teaching he did not want people prostrating to him. Instead he had everyone prostrate with him to the shrine. He taught in English including giving initiation. When he left he just had someone drop him off at the train station, just like an ordinary commuter.

I personally reserve judgment for now. I’m in no hurry. Time will tell. Lama dramas are most easily dismissed without samaya. That’s a luxury I intend to afford myself. .
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

does anybody know whom Yangsi Kalu Rinpoche considers his root guru atm?
stay open, spread love
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

smcj wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:15 am
He eschews a lot of pomp and circumstance. He came at an unannounced time by cab, thus avoiding a grandiose welcoming ceremony. When he started his teaching he did not want people prostrating to him. Instead he had everyone prostrate with him to the shrine.
to me, this post illuminated the central issue.
there is a quote that all calamity and destructive forces are none other than the siddhi of the Mahamudra but I don't study enough to remember where it is from... Virupa's song maybe.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

yagmort wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:14 pm does anybody know whom Yangsi Kalu Rinpoche considers his root guru atm?
Presumably Bokar R. But that's just my guess.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

smcj wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:44 pm
yagmort wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:14 pm does anybody know whom Yangsi Kalu Rinpoche considers his root guru atm?
Presumably Bokar R. But that's just my guess.
HE Situ Rinpoche, I believe, based on what I have heard Yangsi Kalu Rpinoche and HE Tai Situ Rinpoche say in the past. Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche was definitely important to him and gave him empowerments, but BR passed while Yangsi Kalu Rinpoche was in retreat. Bokar Khenpo Donyo Rinpoche became tasked with continuing the teachings while in retreat.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Without pinning down who KR sees as his root guru, I think it safe to say that he has received authentic lineage transmissions.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

smcj wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:43 pm Without pinning down who KR sees as his root guru, I think it safe to say that he has received authentic lineage transmissions.
No doubt in my mind.

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Quay

Post by Quay »

conebeckham wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:02 am
smcj wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:43 pm Without pinning down who KR sees as his root guru, I think it safe to say that he has received authentic lineage transmissions.
No doubt in my mind.
None in mine, either.

I was fortunate to meet Yangsi Kalu Rinpoche in August of 2011 shortly before his 21st birthday. I found him authentic, engaging, and actively eschewing pomp. At Lama Palden's Sukhasiddhi Foundation in Fairfax, California, he chose to wear regular western clothes. Also they'd built him quite an elaborate "lama throne" for the occasion. He refused to sit in it, requesting to have one of the regular office chairs brought out & a small table set up next to it. He gave Shangpa Kagyu teachings that were very well received. Lama Palden and Lama Drupgyu Tenzin were both close students of the previous incarnation and during Yangsi's visit stated more than once that they found no difference between the two.
YKR.jpg
YKR.jpg (66.89 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
"Knowledge is as infinite as the stars in the sky;
There is no end to all the subjects one could study.
It is better to grasp straight away their very essence--
The unchanging fortress of the Dharmakaya."

– Longchenpa.
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

thank you Cone!
do you know if he is/will be Shangpa lineage holder? my apologies for the question as i know very little on the subject. I got very good impression of him and at the same time when i see how troubled his training was i am curious if it was complete for him to be Shangpa lineage holder.
stay open, spread love
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

yagmort wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:29 am thank you Cone!
do you know if he is/will be Shangpa lineage holder? my apologies for the question as i know very little on the subject. I got very good impression of him and at the same time when i see how troubled his training was i am curious if it was complete for him to be Shangpa lineage holder.
It's not for me to say. After Kyabje Kalu Rinpoche Rangjung KunKhyab's passing, it was said Bokar Rinpoche was his lineage holder. I know that HE Situ Rinpoche and HE Gyaltsab Rinpoche, and probably VV Tenga Rinpoche, also held the complete lineage transmission, I believe--and that are other Lamas who may not be designated as "lineage holder" but who have the complete transmission. I think HE Situ Rinpoche has referred to Yangsi Kalu Rinpoche as the holder of the previous Kalu Rinpoche's lineage. I believe Bokar Rinpoche passed everything along, until his untimely passing, and Khenpo Lodro Donyo likely passed everything or anything that was not completed. But I really can't say.

IMO, Shangpa transmission is about practice, and not about institutions, so I am content knowing that some great Lamas hold the full transmission and are capable of passing it on. I'm not sure it's necessary to designate a sole "lineage holder," frankly.

yagmort

Post by yagmort »

conebeckham wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:55 am
IMO, Shangpa transmission is about practice, and not about institutions, so I am content knowing that some great Lamas hold the full transmission and are capable of passing it on. I'm not sure it's necessary to designate a sole "lineage holder," frankly.
thanks, that's what i wanted to know and that info you just provide is relieving.
stay open, spread love
Quay

Post by Quay »

Quay wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:24 am
conebeckham wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:02 am
No doubt in my mind.
None in mine, either.

I was fortunate to meet Yangsi Kalu Rinpoche in August of 2011 shortly before his 21st birthday. I found him authentic, engaging, and actively eschewing pomp. At Lama Palden's Sukhasiddhi Foundation in Fairfax, California, he chose to wear regular western clothes. Also they'd built him quite an elaborate "lama throne" for the occasion. He refused to sit in it, requesting to have one of the regular office chairs brought out & a small table set up next to it. He gave Shangpa Kagyu teachings that were very well received. Lama Palden and Lama Drupgyu Tenzin were both close students of the previous incarnation and during Yangsi's visit stated more than once that they found no difference between the two.

YKR.jpg
Happily enough and seven years later, Kalu Rinpoche recently paid a kind of surprise visit on 12 November to Sukhasiddhi Foundation. This time he is wearing more traditional dress and sat upon a traditional Lama seat. I'm also told he expressed much gratitude to Tai Situ Rinpoche.
YKR_at_SF_11122018.jpg
YKR_at_SF_11122018.jpg (24.46 KiB) Viewed 2796 times
"Knowledge is as infinite as the stars in the sky;
There is no end to all the subjects one could study.
It is better to grasp straight away their very essence--
The unchanging fortress of the Dharmakaya."

– Longchenpa.
Lumi

Post by Lumi »

It looks like Kalu Rinpoche has Tai Situ Rinpoche's support.
Situ Rinpoche's Letter.jpg
Situ Rinpoche's Letter.jpg (75.31 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
Source:

Return to “Kagyu”