Revoking/undoing temporary refuge.

Meaningful Life

Revoking/undoing temporary refuge.

Post by Meaningful Life »

Let's say i took temporary refuge with a rinpoche and wanted to get out. How can i speed up the process of breaking up with them? I really want kagyu out of my life.
Aryjna

Re: Revoking/undoing temporary refuge.

Post by Aryjna »

Meaningful Life wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:04 am Let's say i took temporary refuge with a rinpoche and wanted to get out. How can i speed up the process of breaking up with them? I really want kagyu out of my life.
You do not take refuge in the lama, you take refuge in the three jewels. As for any vows taken, they may not be really reversible.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Meaningful Life wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:04 am Let's say i took temporary refuge with a rinpoche and wanted to get out. How can i speed up the process of breaking up with them?
Don’t visit him, and stop attending his public events. Be polite & try to leave on good terms.

You do not pledge fealty to your lama. There are no “divorce” proceedings.
I really want kagyu out of my life.
Not a problem. Sounds like your karma is elsewhere. Good luck!
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
philji

Post by philji »

What is temporary refuge?
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

philji wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:46 am What is temporary refuge?
I was confused by that term too.

In some ways refuge ceremonies are superfluous. If you just say the refuge and mean it, you are taking refuge in the Three Jewels.

I think refuge ceremonies are really to mark entry into a particular Buddhist community. It's a public declaration of intent.

No-one I think can grant you refuge. Refuge is something you take in the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.

What might make it temporary I cannot guess.
This is not the wrong life.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

The weird (and, if I may say so, ignorant) quality of the OP makes it not inappropriate to wonder whether the history-free, detail-free "Meaningful LIfe" might be some kind of troll. Hard to say, but it would make sense.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."

Return to “Kagyu”