Drikung Kagyu

jet.urgyen

Drikung Kagyu

Post by jet.urgyen »

Hello All,

Is there a particular characteristic for the Drikung Kagyu Lamas and education?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
amanitamusc

Re: Drikung Kagyu

Post by amanitamusc »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:49 pm Hello All,

Mega meditation.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

my very subjective experience:

their "short" sadhanas are often much longer than the long sadhanas in some other traditions :spy:

:mrgreen:
Lost In Transmission
heart

Post by heart »

There is a terma Dzogchen tradition kept in the Drikung tradition, maybe that interest you.

http://padmasambhavagururinpoche.com/wp ... npoche.pdf

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

lelopa wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:49 am my very subjective experience:

their "short" sadhanas are often much longer than the long sadhanas in some other traditions :spy:

:mrgreen:
Heh, that is true! :D

But except for the dzogchen there is also the whole 5-fold path to mahamudra. First ngöndro with the general refuge, vajrasattva, mandala and guru yoga. Part of the ngöndro is also "special ngöndro" which is bodhicitta which also is the first of the 5-fold path. Then yidam, which is in retreat setting chakrasamvara, then guruyoga for which 4kaya guru yoga is used in retreat setting, then mahamudra and dedication. In retreats there are also six yogas of naropa with also the female yidam which is used as a preparation for it (forgot the name... maybe vajrayogini?). The whole thing with 5fold path is that it can be used as a "curriculum" but also as a blueprint for a single practice session or if I am correct even as a way to integrate dharma into daily life.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Natan

Post by Natan »

Drubpons are certified to lead a three-year retreat. Which means they were among the best of their own three-year retreat. I’ve noticed they have mad street cred among lineages. They are called “The practice blessing lineage” for a reason. A famous aphorism is, “In our lineage, the preliminaries are supreme.” So one short cut is to understand why they say that and your sadhana recitations are cut way down.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Hrafzin

Post by Hrafzin »

I'm also curious about how Kyabjé Garchen Rinpoche approaches transmissions.

I had the fortune to meet Garchen Rinpoche by coincidence in India and feel like I should pursue the connection. I know he gives refuge from afar, if one sends in hair clippings from the head crown. From there, I assume one starts with samatha practice and the Four Thoughts That Turn the Mind, correct?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Hrafzin wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:58 am I'm also curious about how Kyabjé Garchen Rinpoche approaches transmissions.

I had the fortune to meet Garchen Rinpoche by coincidence in India and feel like I should pursue the connection. I know he gives refuge from afar, if one sends in hair clippings from the head crown. From there, I assume one starts with samatha practice and the Four Thoughts That Turn the Mind, correct?
Depends on you really. At least as far as I know there is no curriculum. Most often he advises his students to study 37 bodhisattva practices and gives white tara empowerment most often. So those two are probably important. Also Kuntuzango prayer. He also made a short ngöndro text some time ago.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
heart

Post by heart »

Miroku wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:07 am
Hrafzin wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:58 am I'm also curious about how Kyabjé Garchen Rinpoche approaches transmissions.

Depends on you really. At least as far as I know there is no curriculum. Most often he advises his students to study 37 bodhisattva practices and gives white tara empowerment most often. So those two are probably important. Also Kuntuzango prayer. He also made a short ngöndro text some time ago.
Garchen Rinpoche has also written a white Tara sadhana that is very popular among his students.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

I've been checking his schedule since around a year ago but I don't think I ever saw a White Tara empowerment except once recently. I think in the program it said it may just be his self-empowerment so not an actual empowerment. Though I think a lot of his events are not listed on the main website. Do you know if he has given it recently?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Aryjna wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:47 pm

I've been checking his schedule since around a year ago but I don't think I ever saw a White Tara empowerment except once recently. I think in the program it said it may just be his self-empowerment so not an actual empowerment. Though I think a lot of his events are not listed on the main website. Do you know if he has given it recently?
Yeah, he gave it few weeks back in Izrael, then also before that in Vienna... he gave the empowerment maybe 4 times this year? I think that if you keep looking you will find it. It is good to follow his translator Ina Trinley Wangmo on FB she is great for keeping us updated.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Miroku wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:23 pm
Aryjna wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:47 pm

Yeah, he gave it few weeks back in Izrael, then also before that in Vienna... he gave the empowerment maybe 4 times this year? I think that if you keep looking you will find it. It is good to follow his translator Ina Trinley Wangmo on FB she is great for keeping us updated.
Thanks, would be good to have a more reliable schedule.
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Gyalse Garchen Rinpoche's Fivefold Mahamudra ngöndro sadhana, The Excellent Path of Awakening, was only translated into English back in mid-2016, and before that very few of our Drikungpa lamas even held the transmission in Tibetan. I only know this because I played a tiny part in instigating the first Stateside transmission here in Dayton, OH.

I'm currently working on transcribing the English portion of the teachings given on this text in Singapore that same year, so I'll keep ya posted on when it's complete and can be shared or is made available thru the Mahasiddha Garchen Teaching Preservation Project website, https://www.garchenrinpoche.net

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Palzang Jangchub wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:01 pm Gyalse Garchen Rinpoche's Fivefold Mahamudra ngöndro sadhana, The Excellent Path of Awakening, was only translated into English back in mid-2016, and before that very few of our Drikungpa lamas even held the transmission in Tibetan. I only know this because I played a tiny part in instigating the first Stateside transmission here in Dayton, OH.

I'm currently working on transcribing the English portion of the teachings given on this text in Singapore that same year, so I'll keep ya posted on when it's complete and can be shared or is made available thru the Mahasiddha Garchen Teaching Preservation Project website, https://www.garchenrinpoche.net
Oh that sounds like a great project Palzang!! Are there going to be texts available? What is the plan with it, do you know some specifics about it as what the vision is?

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Palzang Jangchub

No specifics as yet, though I'm sure it'll be released at some point. It took over 2 years of hunting and persistence to even obtain the audio files, so I have no idea what timeline we're looking at, tbh. Same goes for the stories of Tara and Achi that I transcribed a few months back. Once my work is done it's kinda outta my hands and up to the big orgs I serve at the pleasure of...

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

KoolAid900

Post by KoolAid900 »

Hi Javier,

I am not 100% sure what you are asking... but I'll give it a shot. Speaking with Drupon Thinley Ningpo Rinpoche this summer, he told me that currently at Jangchubling (the main seat of Drikung Kagyu in exile) in order to become a Khenpo one has to complete one's education fully, then teach for a period of time at the college, then complete a three year retreat. This seems to be a relatively new development, especially the 3 year retreat requirement. So some who became Khenpos before that, may not have gone through all those steps. Rinpoche felt that its probably too stringent now as an over reaction to it being a little too easy before. So that's what's going on with being a Khenpo. A Drupon goes through all the same steps, but after being interviewed by Holiness Chetsang Rinpoche is determined to have had a certain degree of experience in meditation indicative of an ability to guide others through retreats. Rinpoche is an honorific term often used for tulkus or especially accomplished teachers.

As far as the Drikung Kagyu lineage in general, it has both monastic and yogic components. Many hundreds of years ago, it was a large lineage in Tibet, but later was eclipsed in size and political power, which is kind of cool in a way (although there are politics everywhere there are people, the Drikung Kagyu lineage and teachers seem to have less political burden in a sense than say Karmapa and the Karma Kagyu Lamas).

Three things the Drikungpas are famous for are: an especially easy and powerful Phowa practice, Fivefold Mahamudra formulation (which actually came from Phagmodrupa prior to the founder of the Drikung Kagyu) and producing accomplished Yogis (like Garchen Rinpoche & Druwang Rinpoche). If you are interested in seeing something about the Drikung Kagyu Yogis (including a brief interview with the amazing Druwang Rinpoche) and yogic practices, you can check out the movie, Yogis of Tibet.
Palzang Jangchub

:good: :good: :good:

Motova

Post by Motova »

They have Drikung Phowa and Achi.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
KoolAid900

Post by KoolAid900 »

Motova wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:44 pm

Oh yeah! How could I forget about Achi!?? There are other lineages with Achi too (Karma Kagyu and probably others), but it's sort of a Drikung specialty. She was Jigten Sumgon's (lineage founder) grandmother and is now practiced as Dharmapala, Dakini, Yidam, and sometimes Lama (in guru yoga).

Javier, are you connected with a lineage?

Cairy
Motova

Post by Motova »

KoolAid900 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:44 pm
Motova wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:44 pm

Oh yeah! How could I forget about Achi!?? There are other lineages with Achi too (Karma Kagyu and probably others), but it's sort of a Drikung specialty. She was Jigten Sumgon's (lineage founder) grandmother and is now practiced as Dharmapala, Dakini, Yidam, and sometimes Lama (in guru yoga).

Javier, are you connected with a lineage?

Cairy
Gelugpas also practice Achi, I bet Nyingma too....
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.

Return to “Kagyu”