Morning and Evening Prayers

JimO

Morning and Evening Prayers

Post by JimO »

Hello,

I am looking for a set of Kagyu morning and evening prayers to recite in order to start and end the day on the right note. Does anyone know of any that might be suitable?

Also, any advice on how to keep one's practice going when not on the cushion would be gratefully received. (I am a beginner in a part of the UK with no teachers or sanghas. I have completed the Ngondro and now perform the Guru Rinpoche practice once or twice a day.)

Best Wishes,
Jim.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Morning and Evening Prayers

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

JimO wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:14 pm Hello,

I am looking for a set of Kagyu morning and evening prayers to recite in order to start and end the day on the right note. Does anyone know of any that might be suitable?

Also, any advice on how to keep one's practice going when not on the cushion would be gratefully received. (I am a beginner in a part of the UK with no teachers or sanghas. I have completed the Ngondro and now perform the Guru Rinpoche practice once or twice a day.)

Best Wishes,
Jim.
Well, then when you are off the cushion then think of Guru Rinpoche on top of your head, recite his mantry and then dissolve him in you as often as possible through the day. Or just simply recite his mantra with motivation to benefit beings as you go through your day.

Not sure much about morning and evening prayers, but it is always good to start the day with refuge and motivation or lineage prayer/guru yoga and maybe end it with 7 limb prayer. I think it can really depend on you.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
philji

Post by philji »

This is an important prayer that you could include.
http://rinpoche.com/dchng.html
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Most Kagyu Lamas I know recommend doing some sort of ngondro in the morning, even if one has "completed" the accumulations--there are more concise versions available that can be done daily. Assuming you're Karma Kagyu, HHGK OTD has written a concise one that's available on-line I think.

In general, The Dorje Chang Thungma is indeed a great lineage supplication to do daily. In general, such supplications prior to starting one's morning session are good to do....."Nyingtob chenpo" being another that is good, and also the "Teng DakPa" prayer, if you know that one.

There are so many practices that require specific instruction, etc., like the Thun Zhi Lamai Naljor, as well as a variety of sadhanas of the three roots. Those usually have associated lineage supplications, and also dedication prayers, aspirations, and Tashi prayers, at the end. In general, in the monasteries and also amongst laypeople many prayers common to all Tibetan lineages, from Mahayana traditions and texts, are popular, as well, like the "ThubTo" or "Praise to Sakyamuni," or praises to the Arhats, etc. Also ThungShak, the "35 Confession Buddhas" practice. In the evening, depending on one's commitments, torma offerings or SolKhas to protectors are done. Sang And Sur....

The available options are huge, frankly.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Try sending an email to Kagyu Changchub Chuling. They're a Kagyu center in my town, with a resident lama (Michael Conklin) and several students who've completed three-year retreats.
I've always had good results emailing my questions.

Good luck!
Namu Amida Butsu
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Also--
If you can get your hands on any edition of the KAgyu Monlam prayer book, that is really all you would need in addition to whatever sadhana you're practicing.

https://www.benchen.org.pl/en/programme ... rayer-book

https://www.kagyumonlamchenmo.org/prayers/

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

I second Cone's suggestion. That's your best source for the kinds of prayers you are looking for.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
JimO

Post by JimO »

Thanks all, that's excellent.

Do you know of a prayer I can recite before bed to help me recognise the dream-state? There doesn't seem to be one in the Monlam book.

Jim.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

JimO wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:55 pm Thanks all, that's excellent.

Do you know of a prayer I can recite before bed to help me recognise the dream-state? There doesn't seem to be one in the Monlam book.

Jim.
these sorts of things are found in Six Yogas liturgy, and you'd need transmission, at least in most orthodox Karma Kagyu circles....but you can merely make mental aspirations while going to sleep, or even vocalize such aspirations.

Return to “Kagyu”