Important Kagyu texts

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Important Kagyu texts

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hi,

I would like to deepend my understanding and so would like to ask which Kagyu and especially Drikung Kagyu texts are important for a study? Are there some sutras which are improtant for Tibetan Buddhism? Which works that have been translated to english from (Drikung) Kagyu masters are important?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Malcolm

Re: Important Kagyu texts

Post by Malcolm »

Miroku wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:16 pm Hi,

I would like to deepend my understanding and so would like to ask which Kagyu and especially Drikung Kagyu texts are important for a study? Are there some sutras which are improtant for Tibetan Buddhism? Which works that have been translated to english from (Drikung) Kagyu masters are important?
The three basic texts of the Kagyu school are: the Hevajra Tantra, the Uttaratantra, and Gampopa's Ornament of Liberation.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:20 pm

The three basic texts of the Kagyu school are: the Hevajra Tantra, the Uttaratantra, and Gampopa's Ornament of Liberation.
Thank you!

Since I don't have Hevajra Empowerment I presume it is out of reach for the moment. The Uttaratantra do you mean THIS? Since it is supposed to be mahayana, it should be available even without lung, right?
What about the Chakrasamvara tantra? Is it also important for the Kagyu, since nowadays Chakrasamvara is now basically THE yidam of Kagyu? Can it be studied if one has received the initiation into Chakrasamvara?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Miroku wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:44 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:20 pm

Thank you!

Since I don't have Hevajra Empowerment I presume it is out of reach for the moment. The Uttaratantra do you mean THIS? Since it is supposed to be mahayana, it should be available even without lung, right?
What about the Chakrasamvara tantra? Is it also important for the Kagyu, since nowadays Chakrasamvara is now basically THE yidam of Kagyu? Can it be studied if one has received the initiation into Chakrasamvara?
Despite the fact that Cakrasamvara seems to be one of the main yidams of the Kagyu school, nevertheless, the main tantra they study is Hevajra. You need the wang at minimum to study either scripture.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:40 pm Despite the fact that Cakrasamvara seems to be one of the main yidams of the Kagyu school, nevertheless, the main tantra they study is Hevajra. You need the wang at minimum to study either scripture.
Just to make it clear, at least wang for either deity is enough. There is no separate thing for the tantras. And the shastra can be studied without anything. Correct?

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

It’s best to get a wang for Hevajra, but any of the HYT major wangs is acceptable. Most often, Demchok would be the main basis in Kagyu.

One other text of equal importance to those mentioned by Malcolm is the Zabmo NangDon, or Profound Inner Meaning. Kongtrul’s commentaries on Gyu Tag Nyi, Gyu Lama, and Zabmo NangDon, along with Gampopa’s TharGyen, are all main texts for studying the approach of the Dakpo Kagyu. For the Drikungpas the GongChik is essential as well.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Miroku wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:01 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:40 pm Despite the fact that Cakrasamvara seems to be one of the main yidams of the Kagyu school, nevertheless, the main tantra they study is Hevajra. You need the wang at minimum to study either scripture.
Just to make it clear, at least wang for either deity is enough. There is no separate thing for the tantras. And the shastra can be studied without anything. Correct?
Yes, the wang for either deity.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Thank you Malcom and Conebackham!
conebeckham wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:19 pm Gyu Tag Nyi
I was not able to find this one. Do you know how it is called in English?

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Miroku wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:17 pm Thank you Malcom and Conebackham!
conebeckham wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:19 pm Gyu Tag Nyi
I was not able to find this one. Do you know how it is called in English?
Sorry, “The Two Chapter Tantra” is another name for the Hevajra Tantra.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Kagyu”