Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post Reply
User avatar
tellyontellyon
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:38 pm

Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by tellyontellyon » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:40 pm

Could I ask what are the origins, purpose and benefits of chanting Karmapa Chenno.
Any suggestions on this practice.
Thank you.
“To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.”
― Søren Kierkegaard

User avatar
conebeckham
Posts: 4995
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by conebeckham » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:47 pm

You'll find this mantra mainly in 3 practices--the Kamtsang Ngondro, where it is part of the Guru Yoga, the Thun Shi Lama'i Naljor, which is a sort of guru yoga practice focused on the 8th Karmapa, and also in the guru yoga focusing on the 16th Karmapa, Rangjung Rigpai Dorje.

It means "Karmapa Know Me!" and is a supplication, really, to the Karmapa, who is the fountainhead of the Kamtsang lineage, and the embodiment of the Gurus. Anyone can repeat it, and there are a variety of instructions regarding visualizations, etc., in connection with the mantra, which have to be learned in the context of the practices themselves. But chanting it with devotion and respect is something anyone can do.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།


"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

User avatar
Lingpupa
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:13 am

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by Lingpupa » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:27 am

conebeckham wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:47 pm
Stuff
:good:
All the best
Alex Wilding
Stupa in the Snow blog at http://chagchen.org/

User avatar
Miroku
Global Moderator
Posts: 1438
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by Miroku » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:48 am

Lingpupa wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:27 am
conebeckham wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:47 pm
Stuff
:good:
:rolling: Hah! That is basically useful anytime Conebeckham posts anything. :lol:
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Even non-buddhists have many virtuous accomplishments
~ Jigten Sumgon

Punya
Posts: 1245
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by Punya » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:02 am

Miroku wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:48 am
Lingpupa wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:27 am
conebeckham wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:47 pm
Stuff
:good:
:rolling: Hah! That is basically useful anytime Conebeckham posts anything. :lol:
+1. :thumbsup:
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche

Simon E.
Posts: 6122
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by Simon E. » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:10 pm

+2...
I know nothing. This is not false modesty.

User avatar
Virgo
Former staff member
Posts: 3524
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Uni-verse

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by Virgo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:56 pm

+3

Kevin...

WesleyP
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 10:20 am

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by WesleyP » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:22 pm

Thank you for explaining.

User avatar
Grigoris
Site Admin
Posts: 19872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by Grigoris » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:36 pm

conebeckham wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:47 pm
You'll find this mantra mainly in 3 practices--the Kamtsang Ngondro, where it is part of the Guru Yoga, the Thun Shi Lama'i Naljor, which is a sort of guru yoga practice focused on the 8th Karmapa, and also in the guru yoga focusing on the 16th Karmapa, Rangjung Rigpai Dorje.

It means "Karmapa Know Me!" and is a supplication, really, to the Karmapa, who is the fountainhead of the Kamtsang lineage, and the embodiment of the Gurus. Anyone can repeat it, and there are a variety of instructions regarding visualizations, etc., in connection with the mantra, which have to be learned in the context of the practices themselves. But chanting it with devotion and respect is something anyone can do.
I have heard it translated as "heed me".
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
conebeckham
Posts: 4995
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by conebeckham » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:25 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:36 pm
conebeckham wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:47 pm
You'll find this mantra mainly in 3 practices--the Kamtsang Ngondro, where it is part of the Guru Yoga, the Thun Shi Lama'i Naljor, which is a sort of guru yoga practice focused on the 8th Karmapa, and also in the guru yoga focusing on the 16th Karmapa, Rangjung Rigpai Dorje.

It means "Karmapa Know Me!" and is a supplication, really, to the Karmapa, who is the fountainhead of the Kamtsang lineage, and the embodiment of the Gurus. Anyone can repeat it, and there are a variety of instructions regarding visualizations, etc., in connection with the mantra, which have to be learned in the context of the practices themselves. But chanting it with devotion and respect is something anyone can do.
I have heard it translated as "heed me".
མཁྱེན་ནོ། literally means “know (me)” but is supplicatory in tone, here. You could translate as “please think of me.” To heed is usually a response to a command...in this case it’s not really a command. However, the language of the supplications found in thun zhi lamai Naljor is actually somewhat rough, demanding, almost desperate in nature, and not polite. So.......it depends on how you say it and the state of your devotional extremity, I suppose!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།


"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

smcj
Posts: 6263
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by smcj » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:45 am

However, the language of the supplications found in thun zhi lamai Naljor is actually somewhat rough, demanding, almost desperate in nature, and not polite. So.......it depends on how you say it and the state of your devotional extremity, I suppose!
I hadn’t heard that. Thanks Cone.
1. No traditional Buddhist sect, Tibetan or otherwise, considers deities to be fictional. (DW post/Seeker242)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post/by ?)
4. Shentong] is the completely pure system that,
Through mainly teaching the luminous aspect of the mind, holds that the fruitions--kayas and wisdoms--exist on their own accord. (Karmapa XIII)

Simon E.
Posts: 6122
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 am

conebeckham wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:25 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:36 pm
conebeckham wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:47 pm
You'll find this mantra mainly in 3 practices--the Kamtsang Ngondro, where it is part of the Guru Yoga, the Thun Shi Lama'i Naljor, which is a sort of guru yoga practice focused on the 8th Karmapa, and also in the guru yoga focusing on the 16th Karmapa, Rangjung Rigpai Dorje.

It means "Karmapa Know Me!" and is a supplication, really, to the Karmapa, who is the fountainhead of the Kamtsang lineage, and the embodiment of the Gurus. Anyone can repeat it, and there are a variety of instructions regarding visualizations, etc., in connection with the mantra, which have to be learned in the context of the practices themselves. But chanting it with devotion and respect is something anyone can do.
I have heard it translated as "heed me".

མཁྱེན་ནོ། literally means “know (me)” but is supplicatory in tone, here. You could translate as “please think of me.” To heed is usually a response to a command...in this case it’s not really a command. However, the language of the supplications found in thun zhi lamai Naljor is actually somewhat rough, demanding, almost desperate in nature, and not polite. So.......it depends on how you say it and the state of your devotional extremity, I suppose!
I know that Tai Situ Rinpoche favours ‘please think of me’. And he stresses the imploring tone implied.
I know nothing. This is not false modesty.

smcj
Posts: 6263
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by smcj » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:53 am

the language of the supplications found in thun zhi lamai Naljor is actually somewhat rough, demanding, almost desperate in nature, and not polite. So.......
I take that as an indication you’re fairly fluent.
1. No traditional Buddhist sect, Tibetan or otherwise, considers deities to be fictional. (DW post/Seeker242)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post/by ?)
4. Shentong] is the completely pure system that,
Through mainly teaching the luminous aspect of the mind, holds that the fruitions--kayas and wisdoms--exist on their own accord. (Karmapa XIII)

Simon E.
Posts: 6122
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by Simon E. » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:23 am

I think there are a lot of indications that Cone is very fluent. One of the most reliable guides to the Vajrayana on DW.
I know nothing. This is not false modesty.

User avatar
conebeckham
Posts: 4995
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by conebeckham » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:54 pm

Very kind of you both, but not accurate. I can read Dharma language, sadhanas mostly and "tri" but my vocab and grammar is not strong enough for philosophical texts. I am working on the vocab peculiar to Dzogchen practices lately, but most of my familiarity is with the styles of Kongtrul, Karma Chagme, and Taranatha.....when you read and study a few texts by one author, you'll find the rest of their work is not so difficult. I use dictionaries often, and my teacher translates on the spot, so I take hasty notes.

As for Thun Shi Lamai Naljor, the comments about the tone of the language were comments made to me by my Lama, who pointed out the somewhat "rough" or "imppolite" nature of the supplications....so I am just passing that along.


Karmapa Khyenno!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།


"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

smcj
Posts: 6263
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by smcj » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:05 pm

Thanks for the correction. You just saved yourself from a bunch of inquiries.
1. No traditional Buddhist sect, Tibetan or otherwise, considers deities to be fictional. (DW post/Seeker242)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post/by ?)
4. Shentong] is the completely pure system that,
Through mainly teaching the luminous aspect of the mind, holds that the fruitions--kayas and wisdoms--exist on their own accord. (Karmapa XIII)

Simon E.
Posts: 6122
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:24 am

I guess I was meaning fluent in more ways than simply in the Tibetan language.. :smile:
I know nothing. This is not false modesty.

Post Reply

Return to “Kagyu”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests