Drikung Kagyu Ngondro

TheWhiteLotus

Drikung Kagyu Ngondro

Post by TheWhiteLotus »

Where can I get a Drikung Kagyu Ngondro text, as well as lectures on the text?

Thanks
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Drikung Kagyu Ngondro

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Depends which text you have on your mind? The new Garchen Rinpoche's ngondro, or the blazing splendor (old one)?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Rinchen Samphel

Post by Rinchen Samphel »

Miroku wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:17 pm Depends which text you have on your mind? The new Garchen Rinpoche's ngondro, or the blazing splendor (old one)?
TheWhiteLotus wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:32 pm Where can I get a Drikung Kagyu Ngondro text, as well as lectures on the text?

Thanks
I would say try either of these. I am currently doing Ngondro using Garchen's Ngondro and i can easily say that i personally connect with it a lot more. You can find Garchens Ngondro in PDF online if you so choose. They also sell it on Garchens website. Garchen Rinpoche also has a video on Youtube where he gives instructions on the text and the lung.
TheWhiteLotus

Post by TheWhiteLotus »

Miroku wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:17 pm Depends which text you have on your mind? The new Garchen Rinpoche's ngondro, or the blazing splendor (old one)?
How do I acquire the old one, The blazing Splendor? I would like to read them both to see which one I would like to do.

Thanks
TheWhiteLotus

Post by TheWhiteLotus »

Rinchen Samphel wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:42 pm
TheWhiteLotus wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:32 pm Where can I get a Drikung Kagyu Ngondro text, as well as lectures on the text?

Thanks
I would say try either of these. I am currently doing Ngondro using Garchen's Ngondro and i can easily say that i personally connect with it a lot more. You can find Garchens Ngondro in PDF online if you so choose. They also sell it on Garchens website. Garchen Rinpoche also has a video on Youtube where he gives instructions on the text and the lung.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I will look it up.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

TheWhiteLotus wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:07 pm
How do I acquire the old one, The blazing Splendor? I would like to read them both to see which one I would like to do.

Thanks
You need a lung for both of them. You can buy Blazing Splendor either in Garchen buddhist intitute, or in some of the centers near you.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
TheWhiteLotus

Post by TheWhiteLotus »

What is the difference between these two?
TheWhiteLotus

Post by TheWhiteLotus »

Miroku wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:30 pm

Thanks
You need a lung for both of them. You can buy Blazing Splendor either in Garchen buddhist intitute, or in some of the centers near you.
The Blazing Splendor seems to be a Memoirs of various tibetan masters.

I heard there are different kinds of transmission, lung is just one of them. I heard there is a transmission related to teaching. For example, if you watch a lecture, and receive the teachings through video or audio, this is a type of transmission. Although lesser than lung, it is acceptable for practice, in a general sense.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

TheWhiteLotus wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:44 am

Thanks

I heard there are different kinds of transmission, lung is just one of them. I heard there is a transmission related to teaching. For example, if you watch a lecture, and receive the teachings through video or audio, this is a type of transmission. Although lesser than lung, it is acceptable for practice, in a general sense.
It is also a name of a ngöndro sadhana. "The Blazing Splendor of Blessing".

Concerning the transmission it depends. You can receive the lung from a video recording of Garchen Rinpoche, there is already a thread on that Ngöndro on dharmawheel with all the resources so feel free to look it up. However, watching a recording is not enough. With Garchen Rinpoche, yes, because he said so. However, generally no. Lung is needed to carry on the blessing of the lineage and also as a permission.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

TheWhiteLotus wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:35 am
The first one is Garchen Rinpoche's ngondro. The second is the Drikung Kagyu's regular ngondro.
TheWhiteLotus

Post by TheWhiteLotus »

Miroku wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:23 am
TheWhiteLotus wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:44 am

It is also a name of a ngöndro sadhana. "The Blazing Splendor of Blessing".

Concerning the transmission it depends. You can receive the lung from a video recording of Garchen Rinpoche, there is already a thread on that Ngöndro on dharmawheel with all the resources so feel free to look it up. However, watching a recording is not enough. With Garchen Rinpoche, yes, because he said so. However, generally no. Lung is needed to carry on the blessing of the lineage and also as a permission.
Thanks
TheWhiteLotus

Post by TheWhiteLotus »

Lhasa wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:26 am
TheWhiteLotus wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:35 am
The first one is Garchen Rinpoche's ngondro. The second is the Drikung Kagyu's regular ngondro.
Thanks
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

I'm not sure how to practice Garchen's ngondro at home. Is it just a matter of reading the text and making prostrations? Currently, I'm not close to the institute at all.

I found this but I'm not sure if it's based on the ngondro text (it's quite fast):

I found this, which seems like practical information on the ngondro:

And this, which seems like an empowerment for the practice:

Can anyone confirm is these are the right ones to be referring to?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

The second is a video of teachings given generally to a ngöndro in a drikung tradition. The last one is definetly a lung for the ngöndro. Not an empowerment.

viewtopic.php?t=26669 here are more resources how to practice etc.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

OK, it's clearer now. Thanks. My understanding was that an empowerment is composed of a wang, tri, and lung. I guess in this case a guru has said the lung is sufficient for those far away...
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

The first video, dolphin, is, as it says, a "lung", which is a reading transmission, authorizing those who receive it to read and use the text. The students just pay attention as best they can while the lama rattles through the words. It sounds like that, because that's what it is. The practice is not at all intended to be performed at the same speed.

As already said, the second is a "general" teaching, and the third another lung plus translations etc.

There is no such thing as an empowerment for ngondro. You need the lung, you need the explanation so that you know what to think and do, and you need your lama's specific say-so.

There are those who argue that a tantric empowerment (perhaps any, preferably at least Vajrasattva) is needed to do ngondro properly. Others say that is a help, but not essential provided you have your teacher's explicit permission to start.

It would be rare, though not unheard of, for a lama to say "not yet" to a student who had received lung and had instructions, but all the same it is something to be clear about.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

With respect to the first video, you're right: it's labeled as a transmission of Garchen Rinpoche's ngöndro. I could not manage to associate the text with the reading when I posted last, and was wondering if perhaps the reading was in fact of another text. Now I can manage (with a clearer mind) to associate the two, although the speed makes it difficult.

It's useful to know what you said about ngondro and empowerments. So thanks.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Return to “Kagyu”