Garchen Rinpoche's affiliation

avatamsaka3

Garchen Rinpoche's affiliation

Post by avatamsaka3 »

I'm wondering why the most respected Garchen Rinpoche is a Drikung Kagyu guru. His root guru, Khenpo Munsel, was a Nyingma master, whose lineage can be traced back to Patrul Rinpoche and to Jikme Lingpa. I'm wondering where his affiliation with the Drikung Kagyu came from. Is it just a question of being a recognized emanation of a master in that tradition?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Garchen Rinpoche's affiliation

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

dolphin_color wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:44 am I'm wondering why the most respected Garchen Rinpoche is a Drikung Kagyu guru. His root guru, Khenpo Munsel, was a Nyingma master, whose lineage can be traced back to Patrul Rinpoche and to Jikme Lingpa. I'm wondering where his affiliation with the Drikung Kagyu came from. Is it just a question of being a recognized emanation of a master in that tradition?
He is one THE lineage holders of Drikung Kagyu Transmissions. In his past lives Garchen Rinpoche was always near Jigten Sumgon as his heart son. And he feels a lot of devotion towards HH. Chetsang Rinpoche. I think it does not really matter to Garchen Rinpoche where we wanna put him.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

dolphin_color wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:44 am I'm wondering why the most respected Garchen Rinpoche is a Drikung Kagyu guru. His root guru, Khenpo Munsel, was a Nyingma master, whose lineage can be traced back to Patrul Rinpoche and to Jikme Lingpa. I'm wondering where his affiliation with the Drikung Kagyu came from. Is it just a question of being a recognized emanation of a master in that tradition?
It’s not so black and white. HEGR does teach and transmit the Drikung lineage practices. Like most Nyingma and Kagyu tulkus he received a broad range of teachings from both traditions. He also spent many years in jail, where he has the good fortune to receive teachings from Khenpo Munsel.

That said, I don’t think anyone who has received teachings from him much cares which lineage he teaches from. If he decided to teach flower arranging I would go to listen.
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

Especially for great masters I don't think affiliations are as clear or distinct as sometimes we'd like them to be. It makes sense to learn, put in to practice, and complete as many paths as you can so that you have the right tools and dharma for the right people at the right time.

It seems like most (all?) of the great Kagyu masters are also tertons with their own Nyingma lineages and also practice Dzogchen.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

These are good answers! Thanks.
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

Major Tulkus will have responsibility for upholding monastic seats, feeding monks, collecting money to support the inafastructures that are built around their name.

Lama Garchen besides being a lord of refuge also holds and passes on the Drikung lineage, and has monasteries to uphold..

He is playing out that karmic vision.

Return to “Kagyu”