Kagyu Question

Aspiring.Monk

Kagyu Question

Post by Aspiring.Monk » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:29 pm

Does the Kagyu school have an equivalent to LamRim?

Is there a centralized text that every Kagyu student/practitioner should read?

More specifically, does the Drikung lineage have a centralized text?

I have been feeling lost in studies lately and was hoping to get back on track with a centralized text like the Gelug have with LamRim.

:namaste:

smcj

Re: Kagyu Question

Post by smcj » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:39 pm

Gompopa brought Lam Rim with him from tha Kadam school. His “Jewel Ornament” is a seminal text for Dakpo Kagyu (=Gompopa related) schools.
1. No traditional Buddhist sect, Tibetan or otherwise, considers deities to be fictional. (DW post/Seeker242)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
4. Shentong] is the completely pure system that, through mainly teaching the luminous aspect of the mind, holds that the fruitions--kayas and wisdoms--exist on their own accord. (Karmapa XIII)

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:16 pm

Yeah we do. Lord Jigten Sumgon wrote quite few texts. I think Rays of Sunlight: A Commentary on the Heart of the Mahayana Teachings by Ayang Thubten Rinpoche could be what you are looking for. Also this could be of interest A Complete Guide to the Buddhist Path. Then there is of course the entire 5-fold mahamudra path which can be done as a lam-rim form of teachings as one can go step by step.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Aspiring.Monk

Post by Aspiring.Monk » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:50 pm

I currently have Essence of the Mahayana Teachings along with Words of my Perfect Teacher, of course I don't know if Words of my Perfect Teacher is Kagyu specific or not.

I will be adding Rays of Sunlight: A Commentary on the Heart of the Mahayana Teachings and The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings to my reading list.

I will be getting to the Five Fold Mahamudra teachings when I have finished with the books above. Don't want to move too quickly.

Thank you.

Tlalok

Post by Tlalok » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:43 pm

Aspiring.Monk wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:50 pm
I currently have Essence of the Mahayana Teachings along with Words of my Perfect Teacher, of course I don't know if Words of my Perfect Teacher is Kagyu specific or not.
The Words of my Perfect Teacher is an extended commentary on the Ngondro of the Longchen Nyingthik, which is a terma heavily practiced in the Nyingma tradition. However, it is also well represented in Kagyu. Generally however, it is a fantastic overview of the Ngondro regardless of which specific liturgy you practice.

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:40 pm

Just one more thing, I'd recommend doing your ngöndro. That has given me more than any book so far (not to mention that it helps me understand them books). So I full recommend.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

bryandavis

Post by bryandavis » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:13 am

Words of my Perfect Teacher is used in Drikung Three Year retreats for the outer ngondro. It is used widely in many Kagyu circles.
This link is to Drikung specific materials. GongChik being the pillar of Lord Drikungpas thought.

Return to “Kagyu”