Chakrasamvara and Samantabhadra?

KonchogUrgyenNyima

Chakrasamvara and Samantabhadra?

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:04 am

Hello my beloved Dharma friends

Tashi freaking delek and the whole bit

Im wondering if anyone knows about a form of Chakrasamvara which has Samantabhadra in the spot where one (or maybe its just me?) might be accustomed to seeing dorje chang?

I first saw this in the big ole book of buddhas called Celestial Gallery which a lot of people bought from costco. On pages 25 and 26 there is a Chakrasamvara mandala and a Golden Chakrasamvara respectively. If someone has access to this book maybe they can check that out.

I went on Himalayan Art Resource to look for something of the like and actually found one such painting (Chakrasamvara with Kunzang up top) from the Drikung Kagyu Tradition.

These findings bridge a lot of things for me and I’d like to know more. If anyone knows which traditions these come from, please let me know.

heart

Re: Chakrasamvara and Samantabhadra?

Post by heart » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:22 am

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:04 am
Hello my beloved Dharma friends

Tashi freaking delek and the whole bit

Im wondering if anyone knows about a form of Chakrasamvara which has Samantabhadra in the spot where one (or maybe its just me?) might be accustomed to seeing dorje chang?

I first saw this in the big ole book of buddhas called Celestial Gallery which a lot of people bought from costco. On pages 25 and 26 there is a Chakrasamvara mandala and a Golden Chakrasamvara respectively. If someone has access to this book maybe they can check that out.

I went on Himalayan Art Resource to look for something of the like and actually found one such painting (Chakrasamvara with Kunzang up top) from the Drikung Kagyu Tradition.

These findings bridge a lot of things for me and I’d like to know more. If anyone knows which traditions these come from, please let me know.
Probably a terma.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Danny

Post by Danny » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:48 pm

Yes, to the original poster, this has been on my mind lately too, for reasons unclear. Would be nice if this thread could be explored deeper, also if it could contain information on any terma finders with connection to Achi choki Drolma dakini in Drikung Kagyu, specific to Ati teachings would be of great benefit.

Regards

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:33 am

Were there other identified figures in the thangka? Are you sure the image was Khorlo Demchok and not some other deity? Himalayan Art doesn't always get the labelling right. There's so many minor termas that it's easy to make identification mistakes. Don't know if Dechen Gyalpo ever appears in a blue form, for instance.

Danny

Post by Danny » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:01 am

Hi Peter, I took a close look at an image, took me awhile to track it down, and it certainly appears in Drikung thangka above chakrasamvara as samantabhadra, not in yab yum though. Dorje Chang has ornaments, this one has no ornaments, dharmakaya has none.

lelopa

Post by lelopa » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:01 am

"Celestial Gallery" contains many shortcomings and many non-authentic thangkas.

There is a Thangka with Demchog and a single Samantabhadra but why should it been from the Drikungpas?
HAR wrote it but in the thangka is no indication why it should be Drikung.
The Dakinis of the 4 directions have 4 arms -
in the tradition of Vajraghanta (the lineage of the Drikung-Samvara) they have 2.
Looking at the style and the backside, it seems to be a so called "pilgrimage-thangka"
made in Nepal which one could buy at pilgrimages to Kailash, f.e.!
They are good looking artworks but not painted in proper way & style.
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

Danny

Post by Danny » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:40 am

There is a painting on Himalayan Art of khorlo Demchok (12 arm) credited to Drikung kagyu, that has a Kuntuzangpo above central yidam, with Buffalo? Headed retinue
It's on the main page for samvara.

Also can someone confirm that gold painted thangkas are Sakya in style? This does not negate the above post regarding pop art thangkas produced for commercial purposes, that is certainly a reality and a possibility in answer to original posters question.

Regards

seraphim

Post by seraphim » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:43 pm

If it is a red Demchog with Kuntuzangpo on top, then its is likely the Demchog Padma Benza from the Tokden Shakya Shri's lineage.

Return to “Kagyu”