Bad days to practice Mahamudra Chod

etinin

Bad days to practice Mahamudra Chod

Post by etinin » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:45 pm

I've been taught (by KTD affiliated lama) that one should not practice the Mahamudra Chod (Karmapa Short Sadhana) during the full moon (and new moon, I believe) Sunday. The rest of the days of these weeks are fine, of course, but not the exact Sunday these moons arise. Anyone knows more about this? My teacher is currently in retreat and it is always difficult to remember exactly all the specifics. I checked most commonly used commentaries on Machik Chod and couldn't find this covered. I know that it is fine to practice Milam Lungten (Karma Chagme Chod) even during those days, but I'd like to know more of the specifics of days you shouldn't practice the Machik Chod according to the Karma Kagyu lineage.

I see a lot of posts covering the good days one should perform it to realise the practice, but since it is not my main practice I'm more worried about doing it when I shouldn't.
--Karma Rigpe Wangchuk

"Meditation brings wisdom. Lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back."
Shakyamuni

crazy-man

Re: Bad days to practice Mahamudra Chod

Post by crazy-man » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:49 pm

Tibetan calendars regularly mark three types of inauspicious dates. "Bad days" are marked with the Tibetan letter zha, and last from dawn to dawn. "Black days" are marked with a nya, and cover only the daytime. Both occur on fixed dates each year, one during each Kalachakra month. The third type of inauspicious date, marked with a ya, lasts both day and night. It is known as "Yen Kuong days," after the name of a Chinese deity. There are usually thirteen each year and they occur on fixed dates of the broad Chinese-style months of the yellow calculation system. Furthermore, from the Chinese-derived element calculation system, each year contains two "black" or inauspicious months, and occasionally there is a "black" year.
In addition, certain dates are considered auspicious and others inauspicious for various specific activities. For instance, the ninth, nineteenth, and twenty-ninth dates of a lunar month are auspicious for beginning journeys, whereas the so-called "water-strainer" dates of the second, eighth, fourteenth, twentieth, and twenty-sixth are unfavorable for travel. This is why if Tibetans cannot begin a journey on an auspicious date, they will often take a piece of their luggage and move it a little down the road to another house on the auspicious date, so as to begin the journey symbolically on that day. However, if one dies on the ninth, nineteenth, twenty-ninth, or when the moon is in the ninth constellation, or on a Sunday, and especially on a date when all three occur together, this is considered inauspicious for those left behind.

The most inauspicious date of the year is the "nine bad omens day." It starts on the sixth date of the eleventh Tibetan month at noon, and lasts until noon of the seventh. During this period, most Tibetans do not try to do any special religious or other positive practices, but instead go on picnics, relax, and play. The history of this custom is that at the time of the Buddha, one person tried to accomplish many positive deeds this day, but nine bad things befell him. Buddha advised that on this date each year in the future, it is best not to try to accomplish much good.
https://studybuddhism.com/en/advanced-s ... n-calendar

crazy-man

Post by crazy-man » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:58 pm

INAUSPICIOUS DAYS
NO STARTING NEW BUSINESS ACTIVITY- NB
Days 2, 12, 22 of every Tibetan month.

NO COMMUNITY EVENT – NCE
Days 10, 20, 30 of every Tibetan month; not good for community events, such as at one’s Dharma center.

NO FUNERAL OR CREMATION — NF
Days 8, 18, 28 of every Tibetan month.

NO INVITING GUESTS FOR PARTY – NG
Days 1, 11, 21 of every Tibetan month.

NO STARTING TO BUILD NEW HOUSE – NH
Days 6, 16, 26 of every Tibetan month.

NO CUTTING HAIR – NCH
Days 1, 2, 6, 7, 12, 16, 17, 20, 21, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30 of every Tibetan month.

NO MEDICAL PROCEDURE – NMP
Days 4, 8, 11, 15, 18,22,25,29 of every Tibetan month.

NO MEMORIAL OR WAKE – NM
Days 9, 19, 29 of every Tibetan month.

NO PRAYER FLAGS – NPF
According to Rinpoche, by hanging prayer flags including long prayer flags and banners) on the wrong dates, “you will continuously receive obstacles.”
Days 10, 22 of Months 1, 5, 9
Days 7, 19 of Months 2, 6, 10
Days 4, 16, 28 of Months 3, 7, 11
Days 1, 13, 25 of Months 4, 8, 12

NO WEDDING – NW
Days 7, 17, 27 of every Tibetan month.

NO WEALTH RITUAL – NWR

UNFAVORABLE DAY – UD
More powerful than FD
Not good for starting important activities.

UNFAVORABLE DAY (Earth-Air) – UD-EA
Inauspicious. Earth-air combination can decline wealth and property, and negative activities may be strengthened. Not good for starting medical procedures or important activities.

UNFAVORABLE DAY (Water-Air) – UD-WA
Inauspicious. Water-air combination can harm or sever relationships. Not good for starting medical procedures or important activities; risk of disagreements and disharmony.

UNFAVORABLE DAY (Earth-Fire) – UD-EF
Inauspicious. Earth-fire combination can cause suffering and the risk of burns. Not good for starting medical procedures or important activities; risk of trouble and unhappiness.

UNFAVORABLE DAY (Fire- Water) – UD-FW
Most inauspicious. Fire-water combination can weaken vitality. Not good for starting medical procedures or important activities; risk of shortening life span.

VERY UNFAVORABLE DAY- VUD
More powerful than FD
Not good for starting important activities and medical procedures.

NINE BAD OMENS
The days of the nine bad omens are considered the most inauspicious days of the year. It starts on the 6th day of the 11th Tibetan month at 12:00 noon, and ends at 12:00 noon on the 7th day. At the time of the Buddha, one practitioner tried to perform a lot of positive actions on this day, and nine bad things happened to him. Consequently, Buddha proclaimed that on this date each year in the future, it is best not to try to accomplish much. Definitely it is a bad time to start projects or start a retreat. Traditionally, Tibetans play games and have picnics on this day.

The 24 hours after the nine bad omens end (12:00 noon on the 7th to 12:00 noon on the 8th) is considered the day of ten good omens. On this day, ten good things happened to the same practitioner who had experienced the nine bad omens, as he continued to persevere in his performance of positive actions. This period is considered very auspicious for starting projects, retreat, etc. However, Tibetans traditionally play games and have picnics on this day as well.
https://fpmt.org/media/resources/dharma ... explained/

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:58 pm

If these issues are given importance they will become important.
A certain well known Lama once said to me “ Do your practise. If the day is marked as inauspicious take a pen and cross it out. And write in what you would like it to be”... :o .

Now I will sit back and watch the Trads break out in hives.
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

kartselha

Post by kartselha » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:25 am

I was taught by an elderly Kagyu Lama in the late 1970's that many of the "guests" invited to the feasts are busy practicing nyungne's on moondays and therefore are not able to partake of the feasts on the non-eating day. Our local interpretation was that those involved in extended practice in long retreat needed a night off from time to time... Make of it what you will....

gb9810

Post by gb9810 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:56 am

Simon E. wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:58 pm
If these issues are given importance they will become important.
A certain well known Lama once said to me “ Do your practise. If the day is marked as inauspicious take a pen and cross it out. And write in what you would like it to be”... :o .
:applause:

lelopa

Post by lelopa » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:12 am

Chod cuts through fear - but I fear to do it this day & that day?!? :shock:
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

Return to “Kagyu”