Human Realm in Chenrezig Sadhana?

tashinyima

Human Realm in Chenrezig Sadhana?

Post by tashinyima » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:37 pm

howdy yall :hi:

during the chenrezig sadhana, there is a section in which chenrezig is liberating beings from the different realms. However, in most texts i have seen, the human realm is not included. Rather just hells, hungry ghost, animal, asuras, and gods realms are included. Does anyone know the history of this or a reason why?

thanks! :hug:

PadmaVonSamba

Re: Human Realm in Chenrezig Sadhana?

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:30 pm

I know that had been an omission in the Sadhana texts used by centers affiliated with KTD in Woodstock, NY, which were originally just 8½ x 11 xeroxed copies, hand written Tibetan & typewritten English. That was a long time ago, when translations of anything were being done by just a few people, with just a few lamas (compared with today)
working in people’s homes.
The later (petcha) versions, typeset and printed on long paper, were basically copied directly from those.
My understanding is that this was an oversight made somewhere along the arduous journey of translation. I don’t know if that’s the whole story or not.

In any case, The human realm section (two pages) is now available and many, if not most dharma centers now include it.
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:17 pm

Yes, it was an omission and you should get the amended lines and add them in for the Human Realm.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

lelopa

Post by lelopa » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:18 am

in the early 80s i was told ( i do not remember who it was) it is omitted because we ARE now in the human realm and so it is not necessary to include it, because we pray, etc. for ( or against rebirth there) it automatically
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:15 am

lelopa wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:18 am
in the early 80s i was told ( i do not remember who it was) it is omitted because we ARE now in the human realm and so it is not necessary to include it, because we pray, etc. for ( or against rebirth there) it automatically
I heard the same. I believed it for a while. People will make up stuff to justify things. But in this particular case we know better now.
All the best
Alex Wilding
Stupa in the Snow blog at http://chagchen.org/

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:22 am

Yup...it was careless hippies. No one noticed and then a good deal of arse covering ensued.. :smile:
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

Return to “Kagyu”