Longchen Nyingtik in Karma Kagyu?

Post Reply
User avatar
Inge
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 am

Longchen Nyingtik in Karma Kagyu?

Post by Inge » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:44 am

Is Longchen Nyingtik practiced within Karma Kagyu? Could one approach a Karma Kagyu Lama if one wish to practice Longchen Nyingtik ngondro as taught in "Words of my Perfect Teacher"?

Josef
Posts: 1629
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Re: Longchen Nyingtik in Karma Kagyu?

Post by Josef » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:03 am

It would depend on the lama.
I cant think of any right off hand but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there were KK lamas out there who transmit LNN and well as sarma ngondro.

User avatar
conebeckham
Posts: 4574
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Longchen Nyingtik in Karma Kagyu?

Post by conebeckham » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:25 am

Some do, sure.
My teacher doesn't teach it publically, but he did give Rigdzin Dupa a few years back.....as for what he practices, who knows, eh?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།


"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

J-Bird
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:02 am

Re: Longchen Nyingtik in Karma Kagyu?

Post by J-Bird » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:40 pm

I believe Mingyur Rinpoche is both a holder of the Kagyu (Karma Kamtsang) & Nyigma (Longchen Nyingtik) Lineages.
Although right now, publicly he teaches mostly from the Kamstang tradition.

Stewart
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Re: Longchen Nyingtik in Karma Kagyu?

Post by Stewart » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Hi J-Bird,

Although he does hold the Longchen Nyingthig (and many other Nyingma Lineages) Mingyur Rinpoche mostly teaches from the Chokling Tersar when he teaches in the Nyingma tradition, as it is his families lineage through his father, Tulku Urgyen.

Best Wishes,

samdrup
s.

User avatar
Inge
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Longchen Nyingtik in Karma Kagyu?

Post by Inge » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:21 pm

Do you know of any Lamas who either live in Europe, or teach here, that one can contact if one wishes to practice Longchen Nyingtid preliminaries?

User avatar
heart
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Longchen Nyingtik in Karma Kagyu?

Post by heart » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:01 pm

Inge wrote:Do you know of any Lamas who either live in Europe, or teach here, that one can contact if one wishes to practice Longchen Nyingtid preliminaries?
Tulku Dakpa from Mindorling lives in Finland. But I guess there are many other for example in France.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Dhondrub
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Longchen Nyingtik in Karma Kagyu?

Post by Dhondrub » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:39 pm

Jigme Khyentse and Tulku Pema Wangyal in the dordogne in france come to mind

User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
Posts: 3698
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Longchen Nyingtik in Karma Kagyu?

Post by Adamantine » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:35 am

Dhondrub wrote:Jigme Khyentse and Tulku Pema Wangyal in the dordogne in france come to mind
Inge, these two Lamas mentioned above I've never had
the great fortune to meet--but I've heard second-hand
only the best things and if I was in Europe I would
look to them myself. I have a friend that moved from the U.S.
to Europe just to study with Jigme Khyentse Rinpoche.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

orgyen jigmed
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Longchen Nyingtik in Karma Kagyu?

Post by orgyen jigmed » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:56 pm

Inge wrote:Is Longchen Nyingtik practiced within Karma Kagyu? Could one approach a Karma Kagyu Lama if one wish to practice Longchen Nyingtik ngondro as taught in "Words of my Perfect Teacher"?

You may want to consider the Drikung Kagyu instead, considering that the 4th Chungtsang Rinpoche - one of the two heads of the Drikung Kagyu tradition - was born to Jigme Lingpa himself, and in this respect the Longchen Nyingthig continues to remain very popular, and in particular with this Kagyu tradition.
"If the aspiration for enlightenment is your motivation in coming to see me, there is no remedy except meditative practice. I, too, will only practice." - Zurpoche Sakya Jungne

Josef
Posts: 1629
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Re: Longchen Nyingtik in Karma Kagyu?

Post by Josef » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:41 pm

orgyen jigmed wrote:
Inge wrote:Is Longchen Nyingtik practiced within Karma Kagyu? Could one approach a Karma Kagyu Lama if one wish to practice Longchen Nyingtik ngondro as taught in "Words of my Perfect Teacher"?

You may want to consider the Drikung Kagyu instead, considering that the 4th Chungtsang Rinpoche - one of the two heads of the Drikung Kagyu tradition - was born to Jigme Lingpa himself, and in this respect the Longchen Nyingthig continues to remain very popular, and in particular with this Kagyu tradition.
They also have their own terma cycle.
Pretty interesting lineage the Drikung is.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests