Gorampa, Rendawa, and Rongton

jiashengrox

Gorampa, Rendawa, and Rongton

Post by jiashengrox »

This discussion i hope to have actually stems from the following thread:

http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 32#p230132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First of all, I would like to ask if any scholar around could give a precise differentiation on Gorampa and Rendawa's views on Madhyamika? As i do know that Gorampa's text is pretty much the standardised texts used in the seminaries, it would be good to actually have some basic information for everyone here before anyone else might make a decision to delve into Gorampa's text on Madhyamika.

Also, as I am currently reading Rongton's Commentary on Mulamadhyamikakarika (translated by Khenpo Ngawang Jorden, if i m not wrong), i would also appreciate if anyone could give an idea of how their differences in view are like? It's just for preliminary understanding.

Finally, if it is possible, would anyone be able to give a heuristic view of the Sakya's approach towards Maitreya's treatises (such as say, Uttaratantra)? It would be good to hear a different pov from the gelug, kagyu and nyingma traditions, since there are many translations that have been published.

Thanks a lot! :namaste:
Homage to the Mother of Buddhas as well as of the groups of Hearers and Bodhisattvas
which through knowledge of all leads Hearers seeking pacification to thorough peace
And which through knowledge of paths causes those helping transmigrators to achieve the welfare of the world,
And through possession of which the Subduers set forth these varieties endowed with all aspects.

- Ornament of Clear Realisation
Malcolm

Re: Gorampa, Rendawa, and Rongton

Post by Malcolm »

jiashengrox wrote:This discussion i hope to have actually stems from the following thread:

http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 32#p230132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First of all, I would like to ask if any scholar around could give a precise differentiation on Gorampa and Rendawa's views on Madhyamika? As i do know that Gorampa's text is pretty much the standardised texts used in the seminaries, it would be good to actually have some basic information for everyone here before anyone else might make a decision to delve into Gorampa's text on Madhyamika.

Also, as I am currently reading Rongton's Commentary on Mulamadhyamikakarika (translated by Khenpo Ngawang Jorden, if i m not wrong), i would also appreciate if anyone could give an idea of how their differences in view are like? It's just for preliminary understanding.

Finally, if it is possible, would anyone be able to give a heuristic view of the Sakya's approach towards Maitreya's treatises (such as say, Uttaratantra)? It would be good to hear a different pov from the gelug, kagyu and nyingma traditions, since there are many translations that have been published.

Thanks a lot! :namaste:
IN general, Gorampa and Rongton more or less have the same view. Many of Gorampa's refutations were penned defenses of Rongton against Khedrup.

Gorampa found Rendawa a bit extreme in terms of Rendawa's polemics againt Jonang, but again, there is no real difference view.

As for Maitreya treatises Gorampa considers Abhisamayalamkara and Uttaratantra definitive, depending oninterpretation, and the other three provisional.

Gorampa's works are considered the gold standard for view in Sakya, apart from the five founders.
kunle

Re: Gorampa, Rendawa, and Rongton

Post by kunle »

http://othes.univie.ac.at/5046/1/2009-04-03_9606624.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Sakya”