Offering Mandala

alexprice

Offering Mandala

Post by alexprice »

A practice I'd like to do requires making an offering mandala "the size of one's forearm." What does making an offering mandala entail? In its most basic essential form.

Also, there are instructions to sprinkle it with rakta. I know what this means but am wondering what is usually used for it in actual practice?

best

alex
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Offering Mandala

Post by Ayu »

I don't know much about Sakya. Is this video helpful? Maybe somebody else can find other videos answering your question better.

phpBB [video]
alexprice

Post by alexprice »

Thanks for your kind reply. My question wasn't specific to Sakya so maybe it would have been better for me to post in the general forum. But your video was very helpful and I think I understand the answer now - I think in my case what they mean when they say "construct an offering mandala the size of your forearm" is just to set up the basic round surface for the offering (generally metal but HH has told us that it's okay to use other materials like wood or stone when it's this large).
alexprice

Post by alexprice »

I also was able to learn that they often use sindhura powder as rakta, but you can also purchase "rakta substance" powder from places like Potala Gate online.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

alexprice wrote:A practice I'd like to do requires making an offering mandala "the size of one's forearm." What does making an offering mandala entail? In its most basic essential form.

Also, there are instructions to sprinkle it with rakta. I know what this means but am wondering what is usually used for it in actual practice?

best

alex

You do not sprinkle your mandala with blood, symbolic or otherwise. You sprinkle it with saffron water.
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Malcolm wrote:
alexprice wrote:A practice I'd like to do requires making an offering mandala "the size of one's forearm." What does making an offering mandala entail? In its most basic essential form.

best

alex

You do not sprinkle your mandala with blood, symbolic or otherwise. You sprinkle it with saffron water.
Maybe ancient indians used water with kumkum?
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

Last edited by Ayu on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed a link to a site, which is restricted by our ToS
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

"You sprinkle it with saffron water."

And/or with ba-jung, the five products of a (red) cow, now not so easy to get.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Return to “Sakya”