Lamdre and Jonang

Varis

Lamdre and Jonang

Post by Varis »

In the history of the Jonang there's the occasional reference to Jonang masters being transmitted the Lamdre teachings. HH Sakya Trizin's website also mentions the Jonang as the only other tradition to have the Lamdre teachings.

Does anyone know if Lamdre is still passed down in Jonang? And how do they reconcile zhentong with the teachings on view in Lamdre? Do they just view it as relative and the zhentong view as ultimate?

Thanks.
liuzg150181

Re: Lamdre and Jonang

Post by liuzg150181 »

Oddly enough,I had once browsed a Sakya site which claimed that Jonang is a sub-sect of Sakya. :jawdrop:
Varis

Post by Varis »

liuzg150181 wrote:Oddly enough,I had once browsed a Sakya site which claimed that Jonang is a sub-sect of Sakya. :jawdrop:
I read that a Sakya representative in the Tibetan Parliament said this too.
Varis

Post by Varis »

An update for those who might be interested:

According to Dhongthong Rinpoche's The Sakya School of Tibetan Buddhism, there are 18 oral traditions of Lamdre originating from Drogmi Lotsawa Shakya Yeshe. According to Dhongthong Rinpoche, there is a Jonang system amongst these that he calls a "false system", and appears to be separate from the Sakya transmission(?). According to him, the system comes from Kunkhyen Chenpo Pal Mikyo Dorje, who wrote several commentaries on Lamdre, including one which reorganized the Vajra Verses.

Does anyone know more about who Kunkhyen Chenpo Pal Mikyo Dorje was, and why Dhongthong Rinpoche calls this system "false"? I have yet to find any reference to him outside of this text, but I'm assuming his commentaries presented Lamdre from a Jonang view?

While I am looking at this from purely an academic perspective, being a beginner in the dharma, I have to say that the Jonang's history and openness to the teachings of all sects was/is truly beautiful and inspiring! I hope to ask a Jonang Lama about this topic more in the future.

Return to “Sakya”