HYT Commitments

Antumbra

HYT Commitments

Post by Antumbra »

Hello Everyone,

Long story short, some years ago I had an interest in the Sakya cycle of Chakrasamvara HH Sakya Trizin was bestowing at this event: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=3187. AFAIK, I don't remember there being any mention of commitments for receiving this empowerment. I was under the impression this was being given out as a blessing considering the size of the audience and since there weren't any copies of a practice text around from what I remember. The only reason I've remembered receiving this empowerment was because I had a computer print out of a concise practice text that I found recently. Anyone on this board been to this event or know what the situation surrounding HYT empowerments in the Sakya lineage?
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: HYT Commitments

Post by kirtu »

Antumbra wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:36 pm Hello Everyone,

Long story short, some years ago I had an interest in the Sakya cycle of Chakrasamvara HH Sakya Trizin was bestowing at this event: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=3187. AFAIK, I don't remember there being any mention of commitments for receiving this empowerment. ... Anyone on this board been to this event or know what the situation surrounding HYT empowerments in the Sakya lineage?
Usually major empowerments (generally two day empowerments, but there is also at least one practice which is major but doesn't fit in the two day scheme) incur committments. Traditionally this is also limited to a small number of new people (25 from memory). HHST is explicit about the committments. He would have said something. If you don't remember it then I would just view it as having been a blessing.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Josef

Post by Josef »

Long story short, some years ago I had an interest in the Sakya cycle of Chakrasamvara HH Sakya Trizin was bestowing at this event: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=3187. AFAIK, I don't remember there being any mention of commitments for receiving this empowerment. I was under the impression this was being given out as a blessing considering the size of the audience and since there weren't any copies of a practice text around from what I remember. The only reason I've remembered receiving this empowerment was because I had a computer print out of a concise practice text that I found recently. Anyone on this board been to this event or know what the situation surrounding HYT empowerments in the Sakya lineage?
He didnt give a specific practice requirement but the samayas of annutaratantra were given.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

The idea of an empowerment as a 'blessing' is used a bit ambiguously, but I take it to mean just that the Lama didn't give any specific practice requirements: as a definitional issue it's simply not possible to give an HYT empowerment without conferring samaya.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

The downfalls after a HYT empowerment, for all lineages, are these.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

As this is described as Cakrasamvara empowerment which counts as the pre-requisite for the Vajrayogini empowerment, if you want it, then I would regard it as full blown HYT permission for a Yidam practice, to echo what others have said.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Return to “Sakya”