FromTheEarth

Lam Dre 2018 - His Holiness the 41st Sakya Trizin

Post by FromTheEarth »

For more info: https://sakyatemple.org/lam-dre-2018/

At Tsechen Kunchab Ling Temple
Seat of His Holiness the Sakya Trizin in the United States
12 Edmunds Lane, Walden, New York, U.S.A

About the Lam Dre Teaching
The Lam Dre or Path Including the Result is the most important and esoteric teaching cycle of the Sakya Order of Tibetan Buddhism. The teachings and meditations in the six-week cycle explicate the entire path to Buddhahood in two parts. The first part is the Three Visions, composed of pith instructions and meditations from the sutras. The second part is the Three Tantras, composed of pith instructions and meditations from the tantras. The Three Visions is a prerequisite for the Three Tantras.

The Lam Dre teaching is based on the Hevajra Tantra and includes the Hevajra major initiation. It originated in ancient India with the Indian scholar and mahasiddha Virupa, who was abbot of Nalanda University. He received initiation and pith instructions directly from the tutelary deity Vajra Nairatmya, quickly attained very high realization, and demonstrated great spiritual powers and miracles, such as power over the elements and being unaffected by punishment or poison.

The teachings which Virupa bestowed to his disciples became known as the Lam Dre teaching, and four generations later it was transmitted to Tibet. There, Sachen Kunga Nyingpo, the first of the five founders of the Sakya Order, received and mastered these teachings, and later, due to his high realization he received it again directly from Mahasiddha Virupa himself. Since that time, the Lam Dre has been the special practice of the Sakya Order. It is a unique integration of philosophical explanation and meditation practice.

Schedule
His Holiness will bestow the Lam Dre teaching according to the tsogshe explanation tradition. It will be given in two parts: The Three Visions and the Three Tantras. The Three Visions portion of the teaching will be followed by the Bodhisattva Vows and Hevajra Cause Empowerment. His Holiness Sakya Trizin will bestow the Hevajra Cause empowerment followed by the Three Tantras. The Three Tantras includes teachings on the Hevajra sadhana as well as a number of other empowerments including the profound Hevajra Path empowerment. After the six-week cycle of empowerments and teachings is complete, students who wish to undertake the Hevajra retreat may remain for an additional week of instruction on how to perform the retreat, followed by an opportunity to actually undertake a traditional eight-month secluded retreat. There are the following options for attendance:

Program Dates
Onsite check-in May 19 – 20, 2018
Three Visions, Bodhisattva Vows, and Hevajra Cause Empowerment May 21 – June 2, 2018
Entire Lam Dre Teaching May 21 – July 3, 2018
Retreat Instructions July 4 – 10, 2018
Hevajra Retreat (approximately 8 months) July 11, 2018 – April, 2019

It is not possible to attend only the Three Tantras, or only a portion of the Three Tantras. For vajra samaya reasons, students wishing to attend the Three Tantras portion of the Lam Dre must attend the entire teaching beginning from May 21 through July 3. Teachings will take place from approximately 9:30 am until noon and 2:00 until 5:00 each day. Participants should arrange their transportation to arrive during the early afternoon of May 20 for welcome and registration, followed by a welcome dinner hosted by Venerable Khenpo Kalsang Gyaltsen, abbot of Tsechen Kunchab Ling. Arrange your departure for July 4, unless you are planning to remain for the retreat instructions and retreat.
Kris

Re: Lam Dre 2018 - His Holiness the 41st Sakya Trizin

Post by Kris »

:woohoo:
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

I cannot attend but i live about an hour away. I am down to have lunch one day Sennin, Fromtheearth, or whoever is attending. I can drive down and meet one or all of you at some point during the teachings. I don't know what your schedule will be like so just message me if you want.

Kevin...
Kris

Post by Kris »

Virgo wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:34 am I cannot attend but i live about an hour away. I am down to have lunch one day Sennin, Fromtheearth, or whoever is attending. I can drive down and meet one or all of you at some point during the teachings. I don't know what your schedule will be like so just message me if you want.

Kevin...
Awesome. I'll be staying in Gardiner.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Sennin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:32 am Awesome. I'll be staying in Gardiner.
Perfect.

Kevin...

Return to “Sakya”