Sakya Trichen's Views?

Tenma

Sakya Trichen's Views?

Post by Tenma » Fri May 25, 2018 7:36 am

What are the Sakya Trichen's views on webcast empowerments?

Josef

Re: Sakya Trichen's Views?

Post by Josef » Tue May 29, 2018 4:02 pm

Tenma wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:36 am
I dont think he has made a statement on it.
It doesnt really matter though.
For lamas who give them it works, for those who dont give them it is irrelevant.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed May 30, 2018 1:29 am

Not directly answering the webcasts question but he touches on secrecy and vajrayāna in his interview on the Wisdom Podcast...

https://learn.wisdompubs.org/podcast/h-h-sakya-trichen/

See 31 mins in.

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Wed May 30, 2018 6:52 am

Tom wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 1:29 am
Not directly answering the webcasts question but he touches on secrecy and vajrayāna in his interview on the Wisdom Podcast...

See 31 mins in.
Even making the Yangchenma tradition secret?

narraboth

Post by narraboth » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:15 am

I remember, a time before 2010, HHST was giving Vajrakila torma initiation in Lerabling, I was not there nor was in Rigpa centre, just I heard that it was livestreamed to 'retreat centres' around the world. Though I don't know if HHST approved the effectiveness of initiation and samaya established in the distanced case. People from Rigpa might be able to tell. That was a time when HHDL not extremely keen on live stream empowerment.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:36 pm

Tenma wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:52 am
Tom wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 1:29 am

See 31 mins in.
Even making the Yangchenma tradition secret?
I don’t know what his specific view on the question would be, but whatever it is, I’m pretty sure he would not see any benefit in discussing it with strangers online

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:10 pm

narraboth wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:15 am
I remember, a time before 2010, HHST was giving Vajrakila torma initiation in Lerabling, I was not there nor was in Rigpa centre, just I heard that it was livestreamed to 'retreat centres' around the world. Though I don't know if HHST approved the effectiveness of initiation and samaya established in the distanced case. People from Rigpa might be able to tell. That was a time when HHDL not extremely keen on live stream empowerment.
Wait, what causes HHDL to change his mind? Seems that a high Tantra practice like Vajrakilaya was allowed to have a webcast, so why not a deity whose practice is not well known and given at rare times?

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Tenma wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Wait, what causes HHDL to change his mind? Seems that a high Tantra practice like Vajrakilaya was allowed to have a webcast, so why not a deity whose practice is not well known and given at rare times?
His Holiness decides whether to webcast empowerments based on the answers of the protectors and oracles, so he only does it when he's told that it will be of benefit of all sentient beings. Which vajrakilaya are you referring to?
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:02 pm

Lobsang Chojor wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:53 pm
Tenma wrote:
His Holiness decides whether to webcast empowerments based on the answers of the protectors and oracles, so he only does it when he's told that it will be of benefit of all sentient beings. Which vajrakilaya are you referring to?
I mean the Sakya Trizin's Vajrakilaya. As for Dalai Lama, I was surprised that he once wasn't keen on webcast empowerments(I know he offered the Kalachakra, Hayagriva, Chenrezig, and other empowerments live).

narraboth

Post by narraboth » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:32 pm

Tenma wrote:
Did you mix up HHST and HHDL here....

Anyway, for HHST's RIgpa vajrakila case, 1. we don't know if HH knew or approved the live stream 2. if HH did, we don't know if that's just a form of blessing rather than actual empowerment, regarding the Rigpa retreat centres people supposedly have received quite a bit empowerments before, 3. what's HHST's view on Nyingma tradition (including Kun lineage) torma empowerment v.s. Sarma JeNang v.s. 2 days major empowerment.

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:33 am

Tenma wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:02 pm
I mean the Sakya Trizin's Vajrakilaya. As for Dalai Lama, I was surprised that he once wasn't keen on webcast empowerments(I know he offered the Kalachakra, Hayagriva, Chenrezig, and other empowerments live).
Ah right, I was confused about the vajrakilaya thinking I had missed something from His Holiness.
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:52 pm

narraboth wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:32 pm
Tenma wrote:
Did you mix up HHST and HHDL here....

Anyway, for HHST's RIgpa vajrakila case, 1. we don't know if HH knew or approved the live stream 2. if HH did, we don't know if that's just a form of blessing rather than actual empowerment, regarding the Rigpa retreat centres people supposedly have received quite a bit empowerments before, 3. what's HHST's view on Nyingma tradition (including Kun lineage) torma empowerment v.s. Sarma JeNang v.s. 2 days major empowerment.
Where can I contact HHSTr?

narraboth

Post by narraboth » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:11 am

Tenma wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:52 pm
Where can I contact HHSTr?
HH is currently in America giving Lamdre teaching, please check Sakya forum. I don't think you can join now, but usually they will have chance for HH's audience. You will need to be there and wait for the chance.

narraboth

Post by narraboth » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:14 am

Tenma wrote:
As for Dalai Lama, I was surprised that he once wasn't keen on webcast empowerments(I know he offered the Kalachakra, Hayagriva, Chenrezig, and other empowerments live).
A period of time ago HHDL was asked about live stream or video empowerment, at that time, in that interview, HH did had some concerns.

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:25 pm

narraboth wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:14 am
Tenma wrote:
As for Dalai Lama, I was surprised that he once wasn't keen on webcast empowerments(I know he offered the Kalachakra, Hayagriva, Chenrezig, and other empowerments live).
A period of time ago HHDL was asked about live stream or video empowerment, at that time, in that interview, HH did had some concerns.
For what reason? What were the concerns?

haha

Post by haha » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:45 am

Tenma wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:36 am
Yesterday when I checked out the youtube, I noticed it's on my liked list. To know why, I re-watched. At least, you will get his view on ritual through internet on this video.

greenvajrapani

Post by greenvajrapani » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:58 pm

I have been told by my Lama that many people that attend his empowerments will not follow up with the proper practice.

He allows them to attend and considers that they are there for a "Blessing" not an "Empowerment".

I wonder if there would be a difference in the Lama's power you receive in a "Web" empowerment when it was live streamed and say seeing it a year later?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:40 pm

greenvajrapani wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:58 pm
I have been told by my Lama that many people that attend his empowerments will not follow up with the proper practice.

He allows them to attend and considers that they are there for a "Blessing" not an "Empowerment".
That very
Much depends on the empowerment.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:28 am

Malcolm wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:40 pm
greenvajrapani wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:58 pm

That very
Much depends on the empowerment.
Let's say a White Sarasvati empowerment.

Return to “Sakya”