Sakya Trichen's Views?

Tenma

Sakya Trichen's Views?

Post by Tenma »

What are the Sakya Trichen's views on webcast empowerments?
Josef

Re: Sakya Trichen's Views?

Post by Josef »

Tenma wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:36 am What are the Sakya Trichen's views on webcast empowerments?
I dont think he has made a statement on it.
It doesnt really matter though.
For lamas who give them it works, for those who dont give them it is irrelevant.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Tom

Post by Tom »

Not directly answering the webcasts question but he touches on secrecy and vajrayāna in his interview on the Wisdom Podcast...

https://learn.wisdompubs.org/podcast/h-h-sakya-trichen/

See 31 mins in.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Tom wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:29 am Not directly answering the webcasts question but he touches on secrecy and vajrayāna in his interview on the Wisdom Podcast...

See 31 mins in.
Even making the Yangchenma tradition secret?
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

I remember, a time before 2010, HHST was giving Vajrakila torma initiation in Lerabling, I was not there nor was in Rigpa centre, just I heard that it was livestreamed to 'retreat centres' around the world. Though I don't know if HHST approved the effectiveness of initiation and samaya established in the distanced case. People from Rigpa might be able to tell. That was a time when HHDL not extremely keen on live stream empowerment.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Tenma wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:52 am
Tom wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:29 am Not directly answering the webcasts question but he touches on secrecy and vajrayāna in his interview on the Wisdom Podcast...

See 31 mins in.
Even making the Yangchenma tradition secret?
I don’t know what his specific view on the question would be, but whatever it is, I’m pretty sure he would not see any benefit in discussing it with strangers online
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

narraboth wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:15 am I remember, a time before 2010, HHST was giving Vajrakila torma initiation in Lerabling, I was not there nor was in Rigpa centre, just I heard that it was livestreamed to 'retreat centres' around the world. Though I don't know if HHST approved the effectiveness of initiation and samaya established in the distanced case. People from Rigpa might be able to tell. That was a time when HHDL not extremely keen on live stream empowerment.
Wait, what causes HHDL to change his mind? Seems that a high Tantra practice like Vajrakilaya was allowed to have a webcast, so why not a deity whose practice is not well known and given at rare times?
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Tenma wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:10 pmWait, what causes HHDL to change his mind? Seems that a high Tantra practice like Vajrakilaya was allowed to have a webcast, so why not a deity whose practice is not well known and given at rare times?
His Holiness decides whether to webcast empowerments based on the answers of the protectors and oracles, so he only does it when he's told that it will be of benefit of all sentient beings. Which vajrakilaya are you referring to?
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:53 pm
Tenma wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:10 pmWait, what causes HHDL to change his mind? Seems that a high Tantra practice like Vajrakilaya was allowed to have a webcast, so why not a deity whose practice is not well known and given at rare times?
His Holiness decides whether to webcast empowerments based on the answers of the protectors and oracles, so he only does it when he's told that it will be of benefit of all sentient beings. Which vajrakilaya are you referring to?
I mean the Sakya Trizin's Vajrakilaya. As for Dalai Lama, I was surprised that he once wasn't keen on webcast empowerments(I know he offered the Kalachakra, Hayagriva, Chenrezig, and other empowerments live).
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

Tenma wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:10 pm Wait, what causes HHDL to change his mind? Seems that a high Tantra practice like Vajrakilaya was allowed to have a webcast, so why not a deity whose practice is not well known and given at rare times?
Did you mix up HHST and HHDL here....

Anyway, for HHST's RIgpa vajrakila case, 1. we don't know if HH knew or approved the live stream 2. if HH did, we don't know if that's just a form of blessing rather than actual empowerment, regarding the Rigpa retreat centres people supposedly have received quite a bit empowerments before, 3. what's HHST's view on Nyingma tradition (including Kun lineage) torma empowerment v.s. Sarma JeNang v.s. 2 days major empowerment.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Tenma wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:02 pmI mean the Sakya Trizin's Vajrakilaya. As for Dalai Lama, I was surprised that he once wasn't keen on webcast empowerments(I know he offered the Kalachakra, Hayagriva, Chenrezig, and other empowerments live).
Ah right, I was confused about the vajrakilaya thinking I had missed something from His Holiness.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

narraboth wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:32 pm
Tenma wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:10 pm Wait, what causes HHDL to change his mind? Seems that a high Tantra practice like Vajrakilaya was allowed to have a webcast, so why not a deity whose practice is not well known and given at rare times?
Did you mix up HHST and HHDL here....

Anyway, for HHST's RIgpa vajrakila case, 1. we don't know if HH knew or approved the live stream 2. if HH did, we don't know if that's just a form of blessing rather than actual empowerment, regarding the Rigpa retreat centres people supposedly have received quite a bit empowerments before, 3. what's HHST's view on Nyingma tradition (including Kun lineage) torma empowerment v.s. Sarma JeNang v.s. 2 days major empowerment.
Where can I contact HHSTr?
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

Tenma wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:52 pm Where can I contact HHSTr?
HH is currently in America giving Lamdre teaching, please check Sakya forum. I don't think you can join now, but usually they will have chance for HH's audience. You will need to be there and wait for the chance.
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

Tenma wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:02 pm As for Dalai Lama, I was surprised that he once wasn't keen on webcast empowerments(I know he offered the Kalachakra, Hayagriva, Chenrezig, and other empowerments live).
A period of time ago HHDL was asked about live stream or video empowerment, at that time, in that interview, HH did had some concerns.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

narraboth wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:14 am
Tenma wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:02 pm As for Dalai Lama, I was surprised that he once wasn't keen on webcast empowerments(I know he offered the Kalachakra, Hayagriva, Chenrezig, and other empowerments live).
A period of time ago HHDL was asked about live stream or video empowerment, at that time, in that interview, HH did had some concerns.
For what reason? What were the concerns?
haha

Post by haha »

Tenma wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:36 am What are the Sakya Trichen's views on webcast empowerments?
Yesterday when I checked out the youtube, I noticed it's on my liked list. To know why, I re-watched. At least, you will get his view on ritual through internet on this video.

greenvajrapani

Post by greenvajrapani »

I have been told by my Lama that many people that attend his empowerments will not follow up with the proper practice.

He allows them to attend and considers that they are there for a "Blessing" not an "Empowerment".

I wonder if there would be a difference in the Lama's power you receive in a "Web" empowerment when it was live streamed and say seeing it a year later?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

greenvajrapani wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:58 pm I have been told by my Lama that many people that attend his empowerments will not follow up with the proper practice.

He allows them to attend and considers that they are there for a "Blessing" not an "Empowerment".
That very
Much depends on the empowerment.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:40 pm
greenvajrapani wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:58 pm I have been told by my Lama that many people that attend his empowerments will not follow up with the proper practice.

That very
Much depends on the empowerment.
Let's say a White Sarasvati empowerment.
yan kong

Post by yan kong »

haha wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:45 am
Yesterday when I checked out the youtube, I noticed it's on my liked list. To know why, I re-watched. At least, you will get his view on ritual through internet on this video.

While this is welcome news it gives no ideas of his view on webcast empowerments.
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun

Return to “Sakya”