Requirements for Vajrayogini

Konchog1

Requirements for Vajrayogini

Post by Konchog1 »

There is a Sakya Vajrayogini empowerment coming up. The requirements listed is any HYT empowerment.

Doesn't it have to be a Sakya mother tantra empowerment?
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
WeiHan

Re: Requirements for Vajrayogini

Post by WeiHan »

Konchog1 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:14 am There is a Sakya Vajrayogini empowerment coming up. The requirements listed is any HYT empowerment.

AfAIK, it has to be a major sakya wangchen, meaning two days empowerment. For Vajrayogini, the best will be Hevajra or Chakrasamvara.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Konchog1 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:14 am There is a Sakya Vajrayogini empowerment coming up. The requirements listed is any HYT empowerment.

HH41ST and others have said that other major empowerments can be acceptable though not ideal. But usually a major empowerment is given ahead of a VY empowerment.

BTW where/when is it?
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Nyingmapa here, don't know much about how other traditions do things, so out of respectful curiosity, why it is that one empowerment (ie Vajrayogini here) would have another empowerment (ie Hevajra) as a prerequisite?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:02 am Nyingmapa here, don't know much about how other traditions do things, so out of respectful curiosity, why it is that one empowerment (ie Vajrayogini here) would have another empowerment (ie Hevajra) as a prerequisite?
Because VY is a jenang, or master's permission that depends on having received an HYT wangchen as basis.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks for indulging my curiosity. :)
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

BTW where/when is it?
Probably this:
https://mailchi.mp/5fb156a7f42b/special ... 1b8c0aeb94
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

It says as Prerequiste:
"to receive any/all of the three empowerments, it is required to previously have received a major (2-day) highest yoga tantra (anuttarayoga) empowerment...."

I recieved major Wangchens that last only some hours.
the lamas said something like: this is a wangchen but we have not enough time/possibilities,
so an elaboratet empowerment is not possible/necessary, etc. etc.
Lost In Transmission
heart

Post by heart »

lelopa wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:16 am It says as Prerequiste:
"to receive any/all of the three empowerments, it is required to previously have received a major (2-day) highest yoga tantra (anuttarayoga) empowerment...."

the lamas said something like: this is a wangchen but we have not enough time/possibilities,
It is an Sakya thing, if the empowerment isn't a two-day one they don't think it is a wangchen.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

heart wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:04 am

It is an Sakya thing, if the empowerment isn't a two-day one they don't think it is a wangchen.

/magnus

:thanks: :namaste:
Lost In Transmission
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

/magnus
a Gelugpa Heruka and Vajrayogini empowerment I attended was 3 days. Heruka empowerment was a prerequisite for Vajrayogini.
I occasionally wonder if monastics embellish everything into elaborate and prolonged forms meant for their lifestyle. Six session yoga etc. is also quite a practice commitment to accept.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
heart

Post by heart »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:50 am

/magnus
a Gelugpa Heruka and Vajrayogini empowerment I attended was 3 days. Heruka empowerment was a prerequisite for Vajrayogini.
I occasionally wonder if monastics embellish everything into elaborate and prolonged forms meant for their lifestyle. Six session yoga etc. is also quite a practice commitment to accept.
Yes, there are 2 day or longer empowerment's in the Nyingma as well but a torma empowerment taking 2 hours is not considered a lesser empowerment.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Kris

Post by Kris »

This retreat will include everything:
https://sakyatemple.org/hh-sakya-triche ... teachings/
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Has Chogyal Namkhai Norbu every given Vajrayogini empowerments ?
If so, I assume his requirements for practice would be the same as for other Yidams in the context of Dzogchen. Would that be correct?
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
heart

Post by heart »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:23 pm Has Chogyal Namkhai Norbu every given Vajrayogini empowerments ?
If so, I assume his requirements for practice would be the same as for other Yidams in the context of Dzogchen. Would that be correct?
He wouldn't give Sakya empowerments that way since that lineage is pretty strict, but there are various terma traditions Vajrayogini as well.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Kris

Post by Kris »

WeiHan wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:36 am

AfAIK, it has to be a major sakya wangchen, meaning two days empowerment. For Vajrayogini, the best will be Hevajra or Chakrasamvara.
This Summer 41Sakya Trizin mentioned that Chakrasamvara is preferred but there is no difference between Hevajra and Chakrasamvara.
I assume because of the closeness of Chakrasamvaras mandala.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

lelopa wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:35 am

/magnus

:thanks: :namaste:
Mantrik wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:50 am a Gelugpa Heruka and Vajrayogini empowerment I attended was 3 days. Heruka empowerment was a prerequisite for Vajrayogini.
The need to have a wangchen of the appropriate tantric class before receiving a jenang/jinlab etc. is a point of difference between Sakya/Gelug on the one hand and Nyingma/Kagyu on the other (even the definition and functions of different types of initiation rituals, etc). Also, wangchen may take more than just two days, for example the Kalachakra, but also Guhyasamaja which takes three days. However, with the Gelugpas at least it is possible to compress the core parts of a wangchen into two sessions in one day, or even a single long session. So it is not always accurate to say that a wangchen has to take place over two days to count (though you do miss out on certain things if you abbreviate, examination of dreams being the most obvious one).

As for commitments, six session guru yoga can be quite short, it would take maybe 10-15 minutes out of a day.

Return to “Sakya”