Great Sakya Books

kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Great Sakya Books

Post by kirtu »

ratna wrote:
kirtu wrote:
Is there anything by Shakya Chokden available or was he just completely banned?

Kirt
24 volumes of his collected works survive (in Tibetan). In addition to the book Karma Dorje mentioned (Three Texts on Madhyamaka), there's Visions of Unity.
:woohoo:
:namaste:

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kunle

Post by kunle »

Khenchen Appey Rinpoche (2008): Teachings on Sakya Pandita's Clarifying the Sage's Intent. Kathmandu: Vajra Publications.
Khenchen Appey Rinpoche (forthcoming): Cultivating a Heart of Wisdom: Oral Instructions on the Mind Training in Seven Points.
kunle

Post by kunle »

Sakya presentation of Buddha Nature by Rongtön (study and partial translation):
http://othes.univie.ac.at/5046/1/2009-04-03_9606624.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

I'll admit, I'm woefully unfamiliar with the Sakya tradition compared to most in this sub-forum, seeing as the vast majority of my study and practice has been Ka-Nying in orientation. That said, I share my lamas' fondness for the likes of HH Sakya Trizin, HH Jigdral Dagchen Rinpoche, Deshung Rinpoche, and the kindness they've shown. I'm also appreciative of the Sakya school's overall love of Manjushri. Parting From the Four Attachments is nothing short of pith instruction of the highest caliber, if you ask me.

Therefore, in an effort to be a better practitioner of the Rimé view and share the wealth of Dharma that I'm privy to, I'd like to let all of you know about a new book which was just published a mere two days ago. I happen to be friends with translator and long-time student-practitioner Christopher Wilkinson on Facebook, and he just messaged me about the first volume in his Sakya Kongma series. It covers some of Sakya Pandita's work from the Sakya Kabum, and is entitled Poetic Wisdom:

http://www.amazon.com/Sakya-Kongma-Poet ... +wilkinson

His introduction to the volume is extensive, and I recommend you read it in its entirety. In short, the Amazon product description says:
I have translated short works, correspondence, and poetry he wrote over the course of his life in an effort to let my readers see Sakya Pandita’s humanity and enlightened spirit as he himself expressed it.

[...]

The present volume does not contain esoterica for which special empowerments or privileges are considered requisite. There will be content that excites inquiry and discussion, which I consider a good thing.
In case you're unfamiliar with Christopher or his work, a rather thorough bio is also on the above Amazon page. :reading:

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Loren

Post by Loren »

kirtu wrote:"To Dispel the Misery of the World: Whispered Teachings of the Bodhisattvas", by
Ga Rabjampa, translated by Rigpa Translations. The late Khenpo Appey has a foreword.
This is a good book.

Also there is this pdf http://internationalbuddhistacademy.org ... hments.pdf

I'm just learning about the Sakya.
Thank You and Ok!

aka Lorem
Speakerfone

Post by Speakerfone »

I run the shop at Sakya Thinley Rinchen Ling in Bristol, UK. Our main Lama is Lama Jampa Thaye of Kagyu and Sakya schools. We keep all of his books in stock but there's a number of other decent titles which might not be strictly Sakya but have a connection. Books such as 'Taking the Result of the Path' require the reading transmission before reading so I've not included it.

Off the top of my head:

SAKYA:
A Saint in Seattle - a biography of Dezhung Rinpoche by David Jackson
Luminous Lives - Cyrus Stearns
The Sakya School of Tibetan Buddhism - Sam Van Shaik (totally essential!)
Rain of Clarity - Lama Jampa Thaye
Song of the Road: The Poetic Travel Journal of Tsarchen Losal Gyatso - Cyrus Stearns
Tangtong Gyalpo: King of the Empty Plain (Tsadra Foundation) - Cyrus Stearns

OTHER:
Tibet: A History - by Sam Van Shaik
Way of Tibetan Buddhism - Lama Jampa Thaye
Discovering the Causes of Happiness - Lama Jampa Thaye
Tasting Birth and Death - Lama Jampa Thaye
Diamond Sky - Lama Jampa Thaye
River of Memory - Lama Jampa Thaye
The Life of Marpa
The Life of Milarepa - Lobsang P. Lhalungpa
Like an Illusion - lives of the Shangpa Kagyu masters
The Lotus Born - The Life Story of Padmasambhava ( Erik Pema Kunsang )
Legends of the Great Stupa - Dharma Publishing
Brilliant Moon - The Autobiography of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

One title of the Sakya Kongma series, tr. by Wilkinson was mentioned above, but there are four more in that series about Sakya pioneers.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.

Return to “Sakya”