In the eyes of Mahayana

Myotai

In the eyes of Mahayana

Post by Myotai » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:16 am

Hello,

A couple of questions if I may;

1) Can someone clarify how the Mahayana schools see Theravadin practices like Vipassana and the Jhanas?

2) Does 'Emptiness' as described by the Prasangikas fit into the Pali Canon or is it a whole new interpretation?

Thanks,

M...

Andrew108

Re: In the eyes of Mahayana

Post by Andrew108 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:39 pm

Myotai wrote:Hello,

A couple of questions if I may;

1) Can someone clarify how the Mahayana schools see Theravadin practices like Vipassana and the Jhanas?

2) Does 'Emptiness' as described by the Prasangikas fit into the Pali Canon or is it a whole new interpretation?

Thanks,

M...
Vipassana is a key method of practice for all Buddhist schools. I haven't found any differences between Theravadin vipassana and how other schools practice.

The second point - this has been subject to debate on this forum just recently. But I think Prasangika fits with the Suttas. I see that in both, emptiness is taught within a practice context. Prasangika for me is not necessarily a doctrine, but is rather a descriptive that points to freedom from stress - the kind of stress that is based around identification with extremes such as ideas that things have an own identity.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.

bryandavis

Re: In the eyes of Mahayana

Post by bryandavis » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:26 pm

Greetings,

I don't know much about the way Vipassana is explained in the Theravadin tradition. I admit my ignorance on the that. However glancing over some examples on the net and reading this .pdf file (attached) it seems from my experience with Kagyu traditions that there is a bit of difference in how it is approached. I will try to write more later about what I see as the different focuses as I am off to work now.

http://www.saddhamma.org/pdfs/the-meani ... tthana.pdf

All the Best,
Bryan

Return to “Gelug”