Dalai Lama Quotation: No Crazy Wisdom Masters

uan

Re: Dalai Lama Quotation: No Crazy Wisdom Masters

Post by uan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:51 pm

Simon E. wrote:Well I observed up close one who was described as a Crazy Wisdom Master over several years...and what is seldom discussed is the fact that 98% of the time his behaviour was no different to any other Kagyu teacher
or possibly higher. If you look closely at many of the historical stories that have an aspect of CW in them, CW is very much an outlier and shown under very, very unique and special circumstances, and for very specific teachings to very specific students. (at least speaking from my relatively narrow reading of such stories).

Simon E. wrote: what he demanded from his students was hard, disciplined practise.
I sometimes get the impression that the fantasy is that we were all partying and having riotous fun..
The reality is that life whether at Samye Ling or later in Boulder or Halifax was hard graft, noses were to the grindstone.
I can almost picture a teacher coming into a sangha and saying, "how's this for crazy wisdom? Hard, focused work, with no expectation of immediate results". :rolling:

I think there's an element of faith generation in the stories for us more mundane practitioners, but that value is lost if we start expecting to see CW in our teachers or as part of our practice. Heck, a lot of value is lost if we start expecting any specific results, not even something like CW, but something as simple as "I'll be happier tomorrow" etc.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:01 pm

Well actually Uan thats pretty much what CTR DID say..everyday..

This idea that he was forever arranging pranks which led to insight, or undermining our self sense with clever paradox is fantasy.
“ When the demon is at your door, in the morning it won’t be there no more
Any major dude will tell you”.

smcj

Post by smcj » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:07 pm

Simon E. wrote:Well actually Uan thats pretty much what CTR DID say..everyday..

This idea that he was forever arranging pranks which led to insight, or undermining our self sense with clever paradox is fantasy.
And you say this from personal experience if I remember correctly. You knew him back in the early days, right?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
2. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

ngodrup

Post by ngodrup » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:08 pm

To say there are no such crazy wisdom masters
is about the same as saying, he's never read
a namtar of a terton. Or to further suggest that
there are no living tertons. Of course, it is rare.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:32 pm

smcj wrote:

And you say this from personal experience if I remember correctly. You knew him back in the early days, right?
Yup from when he was still in the robe, and was an Oxford student.

uan

Post by uan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:37 pm

I don't know much about CTR, but I've read some of his writings and have found them to be extremely insightful. I didn't want to bring up CTR in this discussion as he can be polarizing. Then rather than discussing CW we would end up discussing CTR and whether he was a CWM and that is a different topic, and one I have really have no thoughts on.

smcj wrote:

I know someone who lived with CTR back in the day in Boulder. I did have a conversation with him about CTR's drinking and he said that no matter how much CTR drank he never lost mindfulness - he was always present.

Paul

Post by Paul » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:41 pm

uan wrote:I'm really curious how those in the West commonly define Crazy Wisdom (beyond CTR as an example).
Personally I think the term itself is misleading. One other translation I've heard is 'unbound wisdom'. That gives it quite a different spin. All CW masters I have heard of were perfectly able to behave normally when required. For me this underlines the fact it's a training and teaching technique.

I am very hard to shock, so I don't think that I'd have a huge amount to learn about dharma presented in this way as it wouldn't have a huge impact compared to others. It all seems to me to be linked with people's need to be entertained rather than actually learn to practice dharma. Of course for some teachers that is an effective way to gather and teach students.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell

prsvrnc

Post by prsvrnc » Sat May 23, 2015 10:17 am

Trungpa said that outside of the Kagyu lineage there was no such thing as crazy wisdom or crazy wisdom masters, which just confuses me. I guess I'd think that any ENLIGHTENED being would have the absolute ability to manifest some sort of crazy wisdom. If they so choose. I think the higher sanity of enlightenment is pretty much crazy wisdom even in its most conventional form since it subverts expectation.
I didn't read whole forum so am still ignorant.

pema metok

Post by pema metok » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:26 am

I should be meditating!

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:36 am

pema metok wrote:I should be meditating!
You and me both...I am off to do just that.

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:59 pm

odysseus wrote:
lorem wrote:
H E Tai Situpa said that we could get enlightened off of drinking coke if we just had the lineage from the Buddha but we don't. But I do believe there is a lineage of eating crap.

EDIT Not a big deal.
The Tai Situpa is a good man. But eating crap is suffering, it´s not Buddhist lineage. :consoling:

Did you ever eat Dhutsi?

odysseus

Post by odysseus » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:43 pm

amanitamusc wrote:
odysseus wrote:
lorem wrote:
H E Tai Situpa said that we could get enlightened off of drinking coke if we just had the lineage from the Buddha but we don't. But I do believe there is a lineage of eating crap.

EDIT Not a big deal.
The Tai Situpa is a good man. But eating crap is suffering, it´s not Buddhist lineage. :consoling:

Did you ever eat Dhutsi?
What the heck is a dhutsi? I hope you're not referring to momo, because that is really gastronomically tasty. lol :thinking:

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:58 pm

odysseus wrote:What the heck is a dhutsi? I hope you're not referring to momo, because that is really gastronomically tasty. lol :thinking:
Possibly of interest: https://books.google.com/books?id=-3804 ... 1&dq=dutsi
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:00 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
odysseus wrote:What the heck is a dhutsi? I hope you're not referring to momo, because that is really gastronomically tasty. lol :thinking:
Possibly of interest: https://books.google.com/books?id=-3804 ... 1&dq=dutsi

The five cow substance pills are not dudtsi pills, they are called pachung pills. For the record, Gelug dudtsi (nectar) pills use plant substitutes, though I can't guarantee anything about the mother pill that supplements each batch.

Return to “Gelug”