Mala and Chanting

Dema

Mala and Chanting

Post by Dema »

I just recently picked up a mala. I will be getting a few more as well in different colors. But I have been doing some basic mantras that help me through the day. I normally do them twice 216x in a sitting.
I am doing,Om mani padme hum,Green tara. Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha.And Om gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi ye soha Sometimes the white Tara as well but i just cant seem to get into a rhythm to continue it for a long period of time. Are there any more mantras that i could do maybe for grounding and relief of mental stress/physical and anxiety?
Your help is appreciated
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā-Green Tara
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Mama Ayuḥ Punya Jñānā Puṣtiṃ Kuru Svāhā-White Tara
Om gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi ye soha
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Mala and Chanting

Post by Ayu »

I was taught, it is better to concentrate on one mantra/diety at a time. This helps to learn about them and to come into that certain flow. Give them time and a chance to help you.
To have an iniciation is giving more power to the mantra, as far as I know. But I think, OM MANI PEME HUNG is the universal helper for everybody in every situation.
This one alone is already precious like a big gem. :smile:
Dema

Post by Dema »

i agree i chant to green tara every morning and night I even find i do it through the day in my head. She is always on my mind. I love her a great deal. as of right now I only have a picture of her. I dont have room for anymore statues. But I do have a temple near by, I dont share their beliefs but I use the temple (NKT). They do however have large tara and Avalokitesvara statues. It makes me feel more grounded when I am there. but the place totally feels like its pushing me away, I just ignore it. As a whole I like doing mantras, my wife who is christian throws me off sometimes because she laughs a little from the front room but i recover and continue . I usually can do my chants in about a half an hour then meditate for about 45 min time willing,
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā-Green Tara
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Mama Ayuḥ Punya Jñānā Puṣtiṃ Kuru Svāhā-White Tara
Om gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi ye soha
pael

Post by pael »

Ayu wrote:I was taught, it is better to concentrate on one mantra/diety at a time. This helps to learn about them and to come into that certain flow. Give them time and a chance to help you.
To have an iniciation is giving more power to the mantra, as far as I know. But I think, OM MANI PEME HUNG is the universal helper for everybody in every situation.
Can anyone say OM MANI PEME HUNG HRIH? Is it allowed?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

pael wrote: Can anyone say OM MANI PEME HUNG HRIH? Is it allowed?
Garchen Rinpoche has said that one should not add the HRIH unless you have received the Red Chenrezig empowerment. There may be more to it, but that is the one thing I've heard him say about it.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

In general, the Gelugpas do not add HRIH to the end of the mani mantra.

As for the OP, I think it is worth going along with the feeling of being pushed away from that particular temple. While their statues may be nice, they are probably filled with a certain mantra which is not very beneficial, and may inhibit the power of the statues. I don't know how much you know about the controversy surrounding the group, but Dharma Wheel policy is to not have discussion of that issue. Just continue your practice at home.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

pael wrote:
Ayu wrote:I was taught, it is better to concentrate on one mantra/diety at a time. This helps to learn about them and to come into that certain flow. Give them time and a chance to help you.
Can anyone say OM MANI PEME HUNG HRIH? Is it allowed?
No, not unless you have transmission.

The six syllable mantra comes fom sutra so is fine to chant, same with Green Tara, Medicine Buddha, and so on. But that mantra does not come from sutra.

All the best,

Kevin
pael

Post by pael »

How about OM ABHIRAKEY TSARA HUNG?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering

Return to “Gelug”