Refuge

Lobsang Chojor

Refuge

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:51 pm

Hi,

I have previously asked about refuge and the five vows, and I am planning on taking them within the coming weeks.

My question is: has anyone taken refuge with Geshe Tashi Tsering (Jamyang London, Leeds etc.)? And what should I expect?

:namaste:
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5

Bristollad

Re: Refuge

Post by Bristollad » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:33 pm

You can expect a great day! Geshe Tashi is wonderful, clear and down to earth. He doesn't overdo formality and likes to get to the bare bones. I would take a katag and an offering - Mike (the SPC) can advise for details. I had the great fortune to receive rabjung from him, and his kindness towards me, my former wife and daughter helped make the day a day to remember.

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:27 pm

Thank you Bristollad, I plan on taking them at Jamyang Leeds but I will contact Mike when I have a date organised.

Unfortuantly, I live away from a centre but I watch his teachings on youtube and I feel like he is a wonderful teacher and would love to meet him.

Can you please explain to me what the refuge ceremony entails.

"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"

smcj

Post by smcj » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:29 pm

Ask him what it is you are taking refuge from. Then ask him what kind of safety is being offered.

Good luck!
I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Robert Hunter

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:41 pm

Thank you.

Sorry I believe my wording was bad there, I understand how refuge works, but what I mean is how does Geshe Tashi do his ceremony?

smcj

Post by smcj » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:09 am

Manjushri Fan wrote:I understand how refuge works...
You do? I've been a Buddhist for 40 years and I'm still in the process of figuring it out.
I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Robert Hunter

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:14 am

smcj wrote:
Manjushri Fan wrote:I understand how refuge works...
You do? I've been a Buddhist for 40 years and I'm still in the process of figuring it out.
:tongue:

Well I grasp the concepts, but I believe Buddhism is a lifetime study

antiquebuddhas

Post by antiquebuddhas » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:16 am

Manjushri Fan wrote:Hi,

I have previously asked about refuge and the five vows, and I am planning on taking them within the coming weeks.

My question is: has anyone taken refuge with Geshe Tashi Tsering (Jamyang London, Leeds etc.)? And what should I expect?

Wow, So you are officially taking refuge and five vows,
I hope for your best.
"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared." Lord Buddha

Bristollad

Post by Bristollad » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:11 am

I think its Kerry at Jamyang Leeds you can talk to. Geshe Tashi-la will keep the ceremony very low key. He will explain exactly what you need to do and when so no need to worry. Just try and get your mind working in the right way so that you really feel you've received the vows (if you're taking any or some of 5 precepts). Probably the most daunting bit will be making prostrations if you haven't done them before - but again it's mental attitude that's key. Geshe-la normally does it in English so you understand easily what to do - honestly just enjoy it. It's nice to take a few things for the gompa altar too - some fruit or some flowers. I'm sure you will have a great day!

Losar Tashi Delek (Happy New Year!)

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:35 pm

Losar Tashi Delek BristolLad,

I've spoke to Kerry (we email and call regularly now). He is sending me Geshe Tashi's book on refuge and the 5 vows, with advice and practices for this.

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:26 pm

I think, I saw him as the Dalai Lama's attendant/companion, when His Holiness visited Germany. Geshe Tashi helped the Dalai Lama with the English verbalisations, I think.
Obviously a wonderful person.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:35 pm

Ayu wrote:I think, I saw him as the Dalai Lama's attendant/companion, when His Holiness visited Germany. Geshe Tashi helped the Dalai Lama with the English verbalisations, I think.
Obviously a wonderful person.
Yes, I've watched some of his video teachings and think he seems wonderful; Kerry at Jamyang Leeds tells me he is wonderful.

I believe he is the Dalai Lama's translator for the UK so maybe he helps around Europe.

Bristollad

Post by Bristollad » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:01 am

Geshe Tashi-la is always requested to assist when His Holiness is visiting Europe. Geshe-la's not normally the translator but more like a walking dictionary for His Holiness though occasionally he has translated when the appointed translator has struggled. After many years teaching in London and his familiarity with English, Geshe-la is sometimes more able to understand the thought behind a question or the unspoken assumptions and helps His Holiness with that so that the answer given can be more useful.

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:51 pm

I didn't know that, but when I've listened to him teach you can see his skill in the English language. :namaste: