Text -- 'Higher Study of the Science of Mind' (Lo-rig Gong-ma)

djlewis

Text -- 'Higher Study of the Science of Mind' (Lo-rig Gong-ma)

Post by djlewis »

In this talk http://www.thetibetpost.com/en/news/int ... mic-centre, His Holiness The Dalai Lama referred to a text, noted in bold. Anybody know if this text is available anywhere in English?
His Holiness pointed out that the traditional texts dealing with the science of mind are based on the 'Treatise on the Compendium of Valid Cognition (Pramanavartika)' and the 'Treasury of Knowledge' (Abhidharmakosha) and do so from the point of view of the Sautrantika and Chittamatrin schools of thought.

However, he said, there is also a text by Gyen Lobsang Gyatso, the founder director of the Institute of Buddhist Dialectics, who was murdered by Shugden people, called a 'Higher Study of the Science of Mind' (Lo-rig Gong-ma). In composing it he drew on the works of Nagarjuna and Tsongkhapa to present a science of mind from the subtler point of view of the Prasangika Madhyamika school of thought. Ultimately this derives from ancient Indian knowledge of the mind.
Also -- any other material on 'science of mind' from a Madhyamika standpoint?

Thanks! --David
Bristollad

Re: Text -- 'Higher Study of the Science of Mind' (Lo-rig Gong-ma)

Post by Bristollad »

I'm not a 100% sure but I think that text was the basis of the course taught at Nalanda Monastery in France last year. Audio of the teachings are available:
http://www.nalanda-monastery.eu/index.p ... 31-english
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Tom

Re: Text -- 'Higher Study of the Science of Mind' (Lo-rig Gong-ma)

Post by Tom »

This is the text... I don't believe it is translated.

IMG_2959.JPG
IMG_2959.JPG (150.16 KiB) Viewed 1861 times

Return to “Gelug”