Lam Rim Resources and Discussion

Lobsang Chojor

Lam Rim Resources and Discussion

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

I was hoping we could create a Lam-Rim study group, would anyone be interested?

I was thinking we could look at Atisha's root text and some of the commentaries, possibly starting with shorter texts such as A Hymn of Experience by Je Tsongkhapa or Three Principal Aspects of the Path by Je Tsongkhapa before working up to Lam Rim Chenmo by Je Tsongkhapa; and along the way we could go throught the meditations and support each other.

For now there are some lam rim resources on the FPMT website.

:namaste:
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Fortyeightvows

Re: Lam Rim Resources and Discussion

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I'm big into lam rim. I'd be happy to contribute to a discussion of the topics.
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

Sounds good to me. I can't promise my level of commitment to the study at this time, but I'm interested in a group focused on lam rim. All the Dzogchen discussion around here is tantalizing, but I see myself squarely in the lam rim stages.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Excellent I'll create a new topic soon and attach a PDF of the text. I'll also ask a mod to sticky the thread.

Would you prefer to start with a short lam rim text?
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Oh sounds amazing! Lately I've been thinking about learning more about lam-rim. :-)

Is some kind of transmission needed for study of lam-rim?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

I don't think so.

I'm quite sad that I couldn't attend the first day of the teachings on The Three Principle Aspects of the Path by Dagri Rinpoche, because then I would have got the lung
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

I've created part 1 of the discussion and have provided a pdf of the text (Hopefully for every part I will find a free copy of the text)

You can access the topic here: http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=23992
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Here's the Lam Rim outline as mentioned
Dagpo Rinpoche wrote: The following is an extremely brief outline of the major topics of the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment.

1. Preeminent qualities of the compilers
2. Preeminent qualities of the teachings
3. How the teachings should be studied and taught
4. How to guide students to enlightenment

4. A. How to rely on spiritual teachers as the root of the path
  • 1. What to do during the actual session
    • a. 6 preparatory practices
      b. How to cultivate reliance on our teachers
      c. How to conclude the session
  • 2. What to do between sessions to develop reliance on our teachers
4. B. Stages for training the mind
  • 1. Being persuaded to take advantage of our precious human life
    2. How to take advantage of our precious human life
A. Training our minds in the stages in common with a person of initial motivation striving for the happiness of future lives
  • 1. Taking an interest in benefiting future lives
    • a. Remembering death
      b. Advantages and disadvantages of 2 kinds of rebirth
  • 2. Methods for benefiting future lives
    • a. Taking refuge
      b. Conviction in actions and their effects
B. Training our minds in the stages in common with a person of intermediate motivation striving for liberation from cyclic existence (Contemplating the Four Noble Truths)
  • 1. Developing an interest in liberation
    • a. Purpose for proclaiming truth of suffering first
      b. Meditation on suffering
  • 2. Becoming convinced of the nature of the path
    • a. Causes of suffering
  • 1. Afflictions
    2. Karma
    3. Leaving the body and taking rebirth
    • b. Actually becoming convinced of path to liberation
  • 1. The kind of body with which we can break out of samsara
    2. The kind of path with which we can break out of samsara
C. Training our minds in the stages of a person of higher motivation – striving for enlightenment for the benefit of all sentient beings
  • 1. Advantages of bodhicitta
    2. How to develop bodhicitta
    • a. Actual stages
      b. How to take bodhisattva vows
  • 3. Engaging in bodhisattvas’ conduct
    • a. General conduct
  • 1. Six perfections
    2. Four ways of gathering students
    • b. Practicing the last two perfections
  • 1. Calm abiding
    2. Special insight
c. Special path of tantra
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

As mentioned by Jeff I will list all the commentaries for Lam Rim texts and we shall be aiming to discuss texts that perhaps don't have a commentary.

Here are some of the commentaries:
Are there any Lam Rim texts people want to discuss?

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

I've compiled a list of the 18 Jangchup Lamrim Texts which His Holiness the Dalai Lama says we should study:
  • Lamp for the Path to Enlightenment by Atisha (Commentary by HHDL, Root text - English, Hindi, Tibetan)
    The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment by Tsongkhapa
    The Medium Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment by Tsongkhapa
    The Concise Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment by Tsongkhapa
    The Essence of Refined Gold – Stages of the Path to Enlightenment by His Holiness the 3rd Dalai Lama, Sonam Gyatso (Root text)
    The Easy Path – Stages of the Path to Enlightenment by Panchen Lobsang Chokyi Gyaltsen (Root text)
    The Sacred Words of Manjushri – Stages of the Path to Enlightenment by His Holiness the 5th Dalai Lama, Lobsang Gyatso (Partial root text)
    The Swift Path – Stages of the Path to Enlightenment by Panchen Lobsang Yeshe (Partial root text)
    Essence of Fine Speech – Stages to the Path of Enlightenment by Ngawang Drakpa of Dagpo
    The Three Principle Aspects of the Path by Tsongkhapa (Root text)
    Foundation of All Good Qualities by Tsongkhapa (Root text, Commentary by Khunu Lama Rinpoche)
    Destiny Fulfilled: The Spiritual Biography of Lama Tsongkhapa by Tsongkhapa (Root text)
    The Essence of Nectar – Stages of the Path to Enlightenment by Kongpo Lama Yeshe Tsondru
    The Southern Lineage – Stages of the Path to Enlightenment by Gendun Jamyang
    Zhamar Pandita’s Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment by the 4th Amdo Zhamar, Gendun Tenzin Gyatso (Partial root text)
    Zhamar Pandita’s Treatise on Special Insight by the 4th Amdo Zhamar, Gendun Tenzin Gyatso
    Liberation in the Palm of One’s Hand spoken by Pabongka Rinpoche and compiled by Trijang Rinpoche
    Text Outline for the Medium Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment by Trijang Rinpoche
I'll add links for root texts and commentaries as I find them
Carlita

Post by Carlita »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:47 pm I was hoping we could create a Lam-Rim study group, would anyone be interested?

I was thinking we could look at Atisha's root text and some of the commentaries, possibly starting with shorter texts such as A Hymn of Experience by Je Tsongkhapa or Three Principal Aspects of the Path by Je Tsongkhapa before working up to Lam Rim Chenmo by Je Tsongkhapa; and along the way we could go throught the meditations and support each other.

For now there are some lam rim resources on the FPMT website.

Yes. I can do a weekly extensive study. I have time for it so Im thinking of now where to start. I have a pretty good idea.
[The Buddha says to his monks], when he opens his mouth to expound or when he reads the sutra, he should not delight in speaking of the faults of other people or scriptures. He should not display contempt for other teachers of the Law or speak of the good or bad, the strong or weak points of others. -Saddharma Puṇḍarīka Sūtra
:anjali:
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Carlita wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:29 pmYes. I can do a weekly extensive study. I have time for it so Im thinking of now where to start. I have a pretty good idea.
Where are you thinking of starting?

This will work best if we can gather enough interest so hopefully we can collectively agree on a start and work from there :smile:
Carlita

Post by Carlita »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:03 pm
Carlita wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:29 pmYes. I can do a weekly extensive study. I have time for it so Im thinking of now where to start. I have a pretty good idea.

This will work best if we can gather enough interest so hopefully we can collectively agree on a start and work from there :smile:

Good idea. I was thinking of starting from this web site. https://www.shambhala.com/guidedmeditat ... ofthepath/

Connecting commentary and suttas from the pali on accesstoinsight.

Maybe each person focus on a few each. I wouldnt where to start as a group.
[The Buddha says to his monks], when he opens his mouth to expound or when he reads the sutra, he should not delight in speaking of the faults of other people or scriptures. He should not display contempt for other teachers of the Law or speak of the good or bad, the strong or weak points of others. -Saddharma Puṇḍarīka Sūtra
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Carlita wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:09 pm

Good idea. I was thinking of starting from this web site. https://www.shambhala.com/guidedmeditat ... ofthepath/

That list seems good, it's similar to the Lam Rim outlines as above, it is also similar to the Extended Lam-Rim Outlines Beginners' Meditation Guide compiled by Karin Valham that I use.

I think however it would be more use in us using the sutras from the Tibetan Cannon at 84000 rather than the Pali Cannon.

Perhaps as a group we could discuss a Lam Rim text and discuss how to actualise the text in meditation as well as with some sutra and tantra quotes which support our meditations.
Carlita

Post by Carlita »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:35 pm
Carlita wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:09 pm

That list seems good, it's similar to the Lam Rim outlines as above, it is also similar to the Extended Lam-Rim Outlines Beginners' Meditation Guide compiled by Karin Valham that I use.

I think however it would be more use in us using the sutras from the Tibetan Cannon at 84000 rather than the Pali Cannon.

Perhaps as a group we could discuss a Lam Rim text and discuss how to actualise the text in meditation as well as with some sutra and tantra quotes which support our meditations.
Hmm. I havent heard of the Tibetan Cannon. I like that idea. I'd have to look for he Tibetan cannon since Im only familar with the Pali.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Carlita wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:42 pmHmm. I havent heard of the Tibetan Cannon. I like that idea. I'd have to look for he Tibetan cannon since Im only familar with the Pali.
http://84000.co/ is what I generally use, it is incomplete but is still useful.

Maybe we can start with something like the three principle aspects of the path again?
Carlita

Post by Carlita »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:06 pm
Carlita wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:42 pmHmm. I havent heard of the Tibetan Cannon. I like that idea. I'd have to look for he Tibetan cannon since Im only familar with the Pali.
http://84000.co/ is what I generally use, it is incomplete but is still useful.

Maybe we can start with something like the three principle aspects of the path again?
I cant find a good discription of what the three principle aspects mean. Could you give me a link describing it?
Carlita

Post by Carlita »

Here is a good link of the Tibetan canon as well

http://www.thlib.org/encyclopedias/literary/canons/
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Carlita wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:29 pmI cant find a good discription of what the three principle aspects mean. Could you give me a link describing it?
Here's a link to the root text, it's a short lam rim text by Je Tsongkhapa.
Lobsang Chojor wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:38 pm The Three Principle Aspects of the Path by Tsongkhapa (Root text)
Thank you for that link, it gives a good overview of the kangyur and tengyur.

Return to “Gelug”