Lam Rim Resources and Discussion

Carlita

Re: Lam Rim Resources and Discussion

Post by Carlita »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:11 pm
Carlita wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:29 pmI cant find a good discription of what the three principle aspects mean. Could you give me a link describing it?
Here's a link to the root text, it's a short lam rim text by Je Tsongkhapa.
Lobsang Chojor wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:38 pm The Three Principle Aspects of the Path by Tsongkhapa (Root text)
Thank you for that link, it gives a good overview of the kangyur and tengyur.
This is a nice link. We'd need to be careful, though. In the root text link, the "bow down to perfect guru," I would focus on Shakyamuni Gautama. With the different stages, this is personal preference, but I'd bounce it off the Pali suttas as well. Some see "authenticity" lost in Mahayana in some practices as opposed to Theravada. I don't see how, but I think it will be challenging but nice to reflect Lam Rim practices with Lam Rim while keeping the Tibetan focus.

While I look at the link, where should we start?

Nice link :reading:
[The Buddha says to his monks], when he opens his mouth to expound or when he reads the sutra, he should not delight in speaking of the faults of other people or scriptures. He should not display contempt for other teachers of the Law or speak of the good or bad, the strong or weak points of others. -Saddharma Puṇḍarīka Sūtra
:anjali:
Carlita

Post by Carlita »

Here is a list of sutras I'm not too familiar with the sutras only the suttas; so, it will take a bit.
[The Buddha says to his monks], when he opens his mouth to expound or when he reads the sutra, he should not delight in speaking of the faults of other people or scriptures. He should not display contempt for other teachers of the Law or speak of the good or bad, the strong or weak points of others. -Saddharma Puṇḍarīka Sūtra
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Carlita wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:20 pmThis is a nice link. We'd need to be careful, though. In the root text link, the "bow down to perfect guru," I would focus on Shakyamuni Gautama. With the different stages, this is personal preference, but I'd bounce it off the Pali suttas as well. Some see "authenticity" lost in Mahayana in some practices as opposed to Theravada. I don't see how, but I think it will be challenging but nice to reflect Lam Rim practices with Lam Rim while keeping the Tibetan focus.

I'm not too sure what you mean, but in this context it is Je Tsongkhapa who is praising his own gurus.

There is another thread where the discussion was started so we can revive that thread or we can start a new text.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

You might want to look at https://fpmt.org/education/#mantrassutras for sutras as well.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
Carlita

Post by Carlita »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:58 pm
Carlita wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:20 pmThis is a nice link. We'd need to be careful, though. In the root text link, the "bow down to perfect guru," I would focus on Shakyamuni Gautama. With the different stages, this is personal preference, but I'd bounce it off the Pali suttas as well. Some see "authenticity" lost in Mahayana in some practices as opposed to Theravada. I don't see how, but I think it will be challenging but nice to reflect Lam Rim practices with Lam Rim while keeping the Tibetan focus.

I'm not too sure what you mean, but in this context it is Je Tsongkhapa who is praising his own gurus.

There is another thread where the discussion was started so we can revive that thread or we can start a new text.
Thank you for the link. There's a lot of material. You think we can list some of the topics we might want to focus on? I was also thinking of adding a video or audio with the OP related to the topic as well. Study or reflective questions at the end.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Carlita wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:25 pmThank you for the link. There's a lot of material. You think we can list some of the topics we might want to focus on? I was also thinking of adding a video or audio with the OP related to the topic as well. Study or reflective questions at the end.
I was thinking the topics can include what's included in the Lam Rim outlines earlier in this thread. If you can find relevant teachings that'd be good.
Carlita

Post by Carlita »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:19 am
Carlita wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:25 pmThank you for the link. There's a lot of material. You think we can list some of the topics we might want to focus on? I was also thinking of adding a video or audio with the OP related to the topic as well. Study or reflective questions at the end.

I was thinking the topics can include what's included in the Lam Rim outlines earlier in this thread. If you can find relevant teachings that'd be good.
I'll start with the audio lam rim and for each we can have a sutra, sources, and discussion related to that topic. There is a lot so thats my choice. What do you think?

Return to “Gelug”