When the Dalai Lama Dies...

CedarTree

When the Dalai Lama Dies...

Post by CedarTree »

Although I am a Zen Buddhist from the tradition of Kodo Sawaki-Kosho Uchiyama which is now practiced at Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery & Sanshin Zen Community in America as well as Antaiji in Japan I have a deep affinity as I believe many do for the current Dalai Lama.

I know even outside the Mahayana tradition with our brothers in Theravada he is deeply respected by some of the senior teachers. In fact I know of one in the Ajahn Chah lineage who has met him and there is a picture which is deeply and proudly shown of this encounter.

As many of us know one of the main positions in choosing the next Dalai Lama is the Panchen Lama. The Dalai Lama and Tibetan Buddhist choice of this child was taken as China took the boy and his family and no one has ever been able to meet or verify his safety since.

There has been rumors that 17th Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje will assume some of the international role and practical role after the death of His Holiness.

For those in the know how is it thought that the choice will be made without the Panchen Lama. Has there been any discussion on this subject?

Additionally I am aware that the Dalai Lama has discussed the possibility of not returning or at least not allow China to control and corrupt the process.

Practice, Practice, Practice
Lobsang Chojor

Re: When the Dalai Lama Dies...

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

CedarTree wrote:There has been rumors that 17th Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje will assume some of the international role and practical role after the death of His Holiness.

For those in the know how is it thought that the choice will be made without the Panchen Lama. Has there been any discussion on this subject?

Additionally I am aware that the Dalai Lama has discussed the possibility of not returning or at least not allow China to control and corrupt the process.
I think the Karmapa will take an international role, he's slowly gathering international fame so it seems likely.

I don't think it makes much difference without the Panchen Lama, they'll use the same methods of oracles although the visions at Lhamo lake probably won't be carried out. Although like you said His Holiness might not return or he might say exactly where he will be reborn.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
StrangeGuy

Post by StrangeGuy »

Well, maybe the Dalai Lama will take rebirth as a woman, outside of China's influence ;)
Reminds me of that movie where that Chinese general says "...will and alyways be part of Ch..Chch..China!". ^^ Just joking.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dal ... 13bfe38559

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china ... Q220141217
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

His Holiness put out a statement on the question of reincarnation of the Dalai Lama, in 2011, which you can find here.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

Wayfarer wrote:His Holiness put out a statement on the question of reincarnation of the Dalai Lama, in 2011, which you can find here.
Awesome post, thank you so much friend :)

Harold Musetescu

Post by Harold Musetescu »

The Chinese Gov't has already stated that they will find and enthrone their very own 15th Dalai Lama.

They have stated that they will use the "Golden Urn" method to select the next Dalai Lama.

This method is the old put some names in a hat and pull out the winner method.

Don't be surprised if the next Regent of Tibet is not their very own "Panchen Lama".
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

methar wrote:The Chinese Gov't has already stated that they will find and enthrone their very own 15th Dalai Lama.

They have stated that they will use the "Golden Urn" method to select the next Dalai Lama.

This method is the old put some names in a hat and pull out the winner method.

Don't be surprised if the next Regent of Tibet is not their very own "Panchen Lama".
Sadly this is probably guaranteed. I am more interested in how we stand with Tibetan Buddhism and how it may play out on the authentic side.

Return to “Gelug”